Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas meal service in J. Status PAX given priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas meal service in J. Status PAX given priority?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:43 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I would be unhappy, I have no status and pay the $ to fly J (until next month)...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:58 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
This has come up before, about 2 years ago. I couldn't find the thread so it may have been on AFF. Anyway Dave Noble pointed out (I disagreed with him at the time, but have since come around to his way of thinking) that to be truly fair, pax should be asked by fare class (flex to non-flex), then redemptions/awards, then op-ups, then staff. At each stage, pax sub-ranked by status.

So yes it can get rather complicated if one wants to be totally fair about it. I think what is more important is:
1) sufficient catering loaded
2) choice allocation done discretely and out of sight
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
This has come up before, about 2 years ago. I couldn't find the thread so it may have been on AFF. Anyway Dave Noble pointed out (I disagreed with him at the time, but have since come around to his way of thinking) that to be truly fair, pax should be asked by fare class (flex to non-flex), then redemptions/awards, then op-ups, then staff. At each stage, pax sub-ranked by status.

So yes it can get rather complicated if one wants to be totally fair about it. I think what is more important is:
Having recently had the pleasure of flying QF again for the first time around 8 years, this time on a staff travel companion ticket, I can confirm staff do get left to the end, but it does seem to depend on the flight and probably how well catered the flight was.

I did 6 sectors, 4 international and 2 domestic and it was only the dinner domestic flight I was left till last. A little bit conspicuous in 1A! The FA was very good about it, serving the other side first, then 1C, then saying to me "Mr dddc, I'll be right back to you if that's ok". Well handled. (and obviously I was not going to complain!). I ended up having a choice as it was. Which was good as I didn't want the fish option! The other domestic was a breakfast flight so they seemed to have plenty of everything.

The international flights were unsocial ones and I think on the out bound there was only about 12 people in the lower J cabin. There didn't seem to be an issue. On the inbound it was slightly more crowded and I had been asked to move from the upper cabin after settling in for a medical pax so the definately knew I was on staff travel. I had the bulkhead centre section aisle seat and it was better than upper deck seat as I didn't have me feet wedged in the back of the seat infront! Each meal service this time I said any of the mains, bar the fish. The FA there adivised to take the local port dish as they often don't do western dishes well!

On the subject of the food, the dinner domestic flight (BNE-MEL) had the tastiest meal of the 6 sectors. When I was flying back regularly I used to look forward to my QF sectors for the food (and the BA sectors for the new flat bed!). I don't know that as I've gotten older my palate has changed, but I didn't rate the Neil Perry/Rockpool menus. Chicken Schnitzel was a whole breast crumbed not a thin slice. It was fine, but not what I was expecting. The beef out of Australia was good. But the chicken in sause on the domestic leg was better. More satisfying.

Yes, I do like my airline food! As soon as airlinemeals.net comes back to life you'll see some of these there!!

Also, I would agree that for the FA's to go around and take orders before serving would be the best way to avoid situations. No one needs to know if there was or wasn't a dish left that way.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed it would get complicated and however it was done would still leave some unhappy customers. I think that it should be done on a FCFS method like, say, AA which I think is a lot better than their hopping around the cabin taking orders on status etc

Dave
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:43 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tt7
Utter nonsense. On AA at least (can't speak for other airlines), all meal orders are FEBO (unless it's a wide body, in which case it's ELFORB). Everybody knows it (at least anybody who reads FT) and chooses their seat accordingly, if meal choice matters to them.

p.s.. if you don't understand FEBO, it simply means that meal orders are taken Front Even Back Odd, meaning meal orders are taken starting from the front on even-numbered flights and starting from the back on odd-numbered flights. If it's a widebody with two aisles, then it's Even Left Front Odd Right Back.
Yes that is how it works on AA, but UA for one does things differently. They do a zig-zag around the cabin taking orders according to status (of course to them all UA status outranks any other *A status ). Very painful to watch and experience.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:45 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SQ do this with Book The Cook - you can pre-order meals that are not on the onboard list, eg: lobster thermidor. Its an interesting concept, but the pessimist in me can't help but imagine this being poorly executed by QF & its caterers, and the FAs spending even more time apologising for unavailable choices.
The BTC system is brilliant, but unfortunately not available on all flights (some origins do not have it). At one stage SQ was trying to roll it out at all stations, but gave up due to quality issues.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:24 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
If I didn't live here, I would simply never fly QF again if the service to me was differentiated in J on the basis of status. I am one of those with no QF status who pays J out of his own pocket.

It is bad enough that the QF "monolopoly" leads to high prices for J (although I trust that may soon change).

Perhaps the logical response to a complaint on board would be...

"No sorry, in order to make as much profit as possible out of your $3200 PER-SYD return, we have optimised the meals we put on board to minimise wastage and cost to us. Because of this we are offering the customers who fly with us most first choice as we don't want to upest them. As you don't fly with us much, we don't care if you get a substandard service and don't come back."

What people will put up with eh? Pay for J, get Y? Pay for J and get told to to walk? Pay for something and get something less? Hmmm.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed it would get complicated and however it was done would still leave some unhappy customers. I think that it should be done on a FCFS method like, say, AA which I think is a lot better than their hopping around the cabin taking orders on status etc

Dave
Completely agree. The AA solution is actually very simple and elegant and much easier to explain to passengers should they not get their meal choice.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:52 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Completely agree. The AA solution is actually very simple and elegant and much easier to explain to passengers should they not get their meal choice.
And in turn favours pax who book early and aware of FEBO and allocate a seat accordingly. You can't please everyone.

I think it is only right that QF look after their best customers, it happens all across the business world - small and large, that higher value customers are looked after better than lower value ones. So it might upset a few one off pax - who may or maynot come back, but what about upsetting the person who has flown you weekly for a year??

I've never seen this happen on QF, but it is the norm on SQ and it is done with tact and subtlety and I have no problems with it. No different to the WP slumming it in whY getting some extra treatment.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes that is how it works on AA, but UA for one does things differently. They do a zig-zag around the cabin taking orders according to status (of course to them all UA status outranks any other *A status ). Very painful to watch and experience.
Not the whole story. Sometimes they do that. I find it quite fun to watch. It's interesting to see where I am in the pecking order on particular routes.

However, they often (and I believe are supposed to) go to everyone in an arbitrary order, then do the ranking part out of sight. Apart from the issue of disclosing status to everyone, there's a huge advantage to this over all the other methods: Some people don't care! If they get an "either this or that" or an "I don't mind" from some of their high-priority customers, they'll almost never disappoint anyone. If they take orders and/or start serving in status order, the decision has to be made before they know what they might run short of.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A year or so ago, UA asked everyone in the C cabin "please give me your first preference and your second preference". As said above, the FAs then sorted it all out in the galley. Of course, it would have been better if they loaded a good supply of meals rather than "just enough". But then again, there was no wastage (and they had full metal cutlery).
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:18 am

Programs: QFF
How do the FAs know which pax have which status?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:30 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Himeno
How do the FAs know which pax have which status?
Easy - they have a print-out of all passengers which shows seat number and airline status. This is usually kept in the galley and you might see it when you are wandering around the cabin.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: QFF
I don't wander around the cabin. In my last 30 flights, I've left my seat during the flight a total of 3 times.

Can't say I noticed any difference between when I had nothing and when I had sliver.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:35 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Himeno
I don't wander around the cabin. In my last 30 flights, I've left my seat during the flight a total of 3 times.

Can't say I noticed any difference between when I had nothing and when I had sliver.
Then you may notice the CSM carrying the manifest around when making a personal welcome to high status FF members. They will often glance at the manifest and then address the passenger by name (which they have just read off the list).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.