Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QANTAS new rule changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Excel limitations. If someone can make the chart look better. more then welcome. At least here is a start.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Why is zone 6 only 1000 miles wide (and zone 8 1400 to compensate) when the other zones are 1200? Zone 6 is 4801-5800 miles.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If they are a requirement, then how come airlines like Virmin Blue do not have them ?
It's still relatively early days for Virgin Blue (interesting typo), in the Aussie mkt. I dare say VB is biding its time & formulating the structure - it might not even be points but still a loyalty=reward of some form. Virgin has demonstrated it's understanding for the requirement for LPs with numerous schemes across many of their products in various industries worldwide. More specifically, VA's Flying Club.

Who knows if they will view this as an opportunity or whether they're ready to launch a LP - I hope so.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:39 pm

Im not sure that voting with your feet would work in this case if Virgin Blue did start up a loyatly program. The cost structure between VB and Atlantic would make the points virtually worthless as well. I can't see flying on a low-cost airline earning enough points anytime soon to fly upper class on Atlantic. I personally never use my points on internal flights, and rarely on internal upgrades. So if Virgin had a local loyalty program it would still be useless unless Virgin-all joined teams, and not just together, but with another program so I had a true choice. And to be honest, I can't stand virgin vodka (and yes, I am so petty as to skip an airline simply for the vodka).

As for loyalty programs being a way of getting something for nothing, I'd question the logic behind that assumption. We've recently seen the major retailers launch their petrol discount offer, which is surely a loyalty program. However does anyone believe that they are loosing four cents a litre? Or making an increased profit on the increase in sales to people are making to achieve their loyalty bonus? If someone believes that is truly a free program, I suggest a look at the annual reports.

Last edited by abcedaria; Nov 24, 2004 at 8:43 pm Reason: Brain kicked in...slightly
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Wongo
Excel limitations. If someone can make the chart look better. more then welcome. At least here is a start.
No, I am referring to QF's new zones. After the first couple they are 1200 miles "width" eg 2401-3600; except zone 6 is 1000 and zone 8 1400. I presume there was a good reason for this rather than simply a typo.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
For those flying Virgin Atlantic it is partly integrated to NZ airpoints. Can earn and redeem on VS, but unfortunately not earn status.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No, I am referring to QF's new zones. After the first couple they are 1200 miles "width" eg 2401-3600; except zone 6 is 1000 and zone 8 1400. I presume there was a good reason for this rather than simply a typo.
This puts the following city pairs at least in a higher Zone Bracket than they would otherwise have been...thereby gleaning another 6k (Y), 12K (J) & 18K(F) points per trip.

5800-6000:

ADELAIDE-BOMBAY 5695
ADELAIDE-HONOLULU 5695
AMSTERDAM-BANGKOK 5713
ATHENS-SINGAPORE 5631
AUCKLAND-HONG KONG 5685
BAHRAIN-PERTH 5887
BANGKOK-FRANKFURT 5583
BANGKOK-LONDON 5943
BANGKOK-MANCHESTER 5976
BEIJING-SYDNEY 5564
CALCUTTA-SYDNEY 5679
FRANKFURT-SAN FRANCISCO 5702
HOBART-SAPPORO 5922
LONDON-TOKYO 5978
(LOS ANGELES-SEATTLE 5692 under review)
MADRAS-SYDNEY 5674
MELBOURNE-SAPPORO 5557
PAPEETE-PERTH 5843
SEATTLE-SYDNEY 5896

7000-7200
ADELAIDE-BAHRAIN 7126
BAHRAIN-TOWNSVILLE 7168
BRISBANE-LOS ANGELES 7169
BRISBANE-SAN DIEGO 7200
BRISBANE-SAN FRANCISCO 7072
CAIRNS-LOS ANGELES 7195
CAIRNS-SAN FRANCISCO 7028
CAIRNS-VANCOUVER 7148
HARARE-SYDNEY 7125
MELBOURNE-MUSCAT 7023
MELBOURNE-SANTIAGO 7038
SAN FRANCISCO-TOWNSVILLE 7069
SANTIAGO-SYDNEY 7066

There may be more, but I have not the time to look. Alos, QANTAS do not fly all these.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 25, 2004 at 4:55 am
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by og

I used to shun the idea of venturing over to *A for a RTW trip. Now even NZ and UA programs are looking like viable alternatives. UA gladly comped me PremEx and that 100% bonus is so easy!

I think QF have forced FFers to think about draining their FF accounts on those (not) easy to get FF seats. The competition just looks a whole lot better. The only thing now that can go wrong is for UA to go pear shaped.
I think many will agree. I am astounded to see that a First class SYD-NYC goes from 200K to 384,000. That is crazy.

Just to offer a comparison on the only other airline that flies direct oz to the USA, United offer a First Class award to NYC for 120,000 RT or less than one third QF level which is amazing. Heck onward from USA to anywhere Sth America is only 150,000 RT in First from oz. That is well over 30,000 miles of flying. ^

It seems a very drastic change. I am right in the middle of doing over 50,000 paid UA miles flying in a 3 week band right now, and am glad I went for 1K again.

I am sad to see many here are affected by this and think it will impact negatively on QF. Not being able to confirm It'l upgrades in advance as I read this thread seems to be a big minus feature. That is what most Biz folks fly for, all the US studies show - that I have read anyway.

Be interesting to learn if award bookings have increased markedly since this was announced - has anyone had an agent comment on that?

Just in case anyone here or anyone you know will take a UA flight anywhere before Mid Feb 2005, they can get 6,250 free miles if you are not already a member, and UA match the miles for me too in a targeted promo I just got:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374626
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:27 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great point, ozstamps!

I have the UA promo too, which involves referring new customers to the UA programme. Both parties benefit with bonus miles: each gets 1,250 just for signing up, then another 5,000 for actually flying (if in eligible classes, which are pretty generous: F, A, P, C, D, Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q or V). If anyone would like me to refer them, feel free to PM me! :-:

Last edited by mad_atta; Nov 24, 2004 at 9:28 pm Reason: fixxing poore speling
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Post Upgrade Chart

Something wrong with it? It looks odd. Most upgrades are cheaper. Shouldn't it cost more?

http://www.geocities.com/wybb/upgrades.xls

Please let me know if I made any errors.
Cheers
Wongo
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:37 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum/Oneworld Emerald, Qantas Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Wongo
Something wrong with it? It looks odd. Most upgrades are cheaper. Shouldn't it cost more?
It does, in a way, if you consider the elimination of Upgrade Credits - in which case the mileage cost was 0.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:15 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
(phew! all the posts! )

re: DJ and Star - I don't think so. As we know DJ and UA do codeshare, but it is very limited to flights connecting to UA transpacs as a replacement for the lost AN feed to certain markets. DJ doesn't offer most of the requirements for Star (regional) membership - eg: lounges (yes I know there's the Blue Room, but that's a pay service) and FF points. Giving FF points would raise DJ's cost structure which they simply don't want to do (specially when competing with JQ and AO).

jetBlue does have a FF program of sorts, but i believe it is quite simple. I have no doubt DJ will follow down that line at some point, though I am sure Bret Godfrey etc are grinning from ear to ear at the QF's changes since it will drive folks over to their side.

I think all the FF programs are rationalising as someone else pointed out. While right now the UA's of this world are far nicer in terms of benefits we can be sure they will change too - but at least in the US marketplace it's difficult to implement such far reaching changes as QF, because nobody wants to be "the first one" to go out and do it fearing massive customer loss. QF knows it has a mostly captive market and can pretty much do what it likes.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I was just asked on the UA board when OzFest #2 in Sydney looks like occuring and the date most commonly requested appears to be May 2005:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336631

As these new changes will impact any foreign based Qantas flyers like spiff and they take effect May 25, I am going to suggest OzFest gets a date agreed to before May 25. Any non ozzie-based member who wants to grab an award ticket at "current bargain" rates can then attempt to do so and burn some miles.

And any of the interstate ozzies wanting to fly up can at least upgrade a cheapie coach ticket etc!

If you have any POV on this re an exact date in May, please add to the OzFest thread above. I'm guessing May 13/14/15 looks pretty good right now and is well away from School or national holidays?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I was just asked on the UA board when OzFest #2 in Sydney looks like occuring and the date most commonly requested appears to be May 2005:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336631

As these new changes will impact any foreign based Qantas flyers like spiff and they take effect May 25, I am going to suggest OzFest gets a date agreed to before May 25. Any non ozzie-based member who wants to grab an award ticket at "current bargain" rates can then attempt to do so and burn some miles.

And any of the interstate ozzies wanting to fly up can at least upgrade a cheapie coach ticket etc!

If you have any POV on this re an exact date in May, please add to the OzFest thread above. I'm guessing May 13/14/15 looks pretty good right now and is well away from School or national holidays?

I have no concens which weekend in may it is. The changes don't really impact this since the old award chart is valid for all bookings made by 24th May, travel can commence after this date

Dave
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:01 am

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Originally Posted by serfty
LOS ANGELES-SEATTLE 5692.
Let me know what routing you are using to get this mileage.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:18 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
I think all the FF programs are rationalising
And you can bet your bottom $ that it's keeping guys like these http://www.mm.fr.atosorigin.com/UK/offerings/crm.htm busy. The extent of changes announced yesterday could only have been dreamt up by a gaggle of consultants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.