Wiki Posts
Search

QF F Vs AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
QF F Vs AA

I amazingly snagged a QF F award w AA miles and I’m having some 2nd thoughts. 110K is a lot of miles. I’ve always thought of QF as iconic and to fly in F on the A380 from LAX would be really cool. I just found an AA web special same day in F for 74K. Saving 36K miles for future use/trips would be nice but I feel like I’ll regret it if I do that. If it was CX F or JL F I get that 36K is worth it over what I’ll get w AA. Just w QF I’m not sure. I guess it’s really up to how important the 36K miles are to me. Just wondering though it is a pretty special experience and def better than AA right ?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:34 am

Given how rare awards are on QF F I would keep the booking and take the flight - its a very nice way to travel.

It'll be better than AA F based on the seat/bed alone - one of the most comfortable F beds in the sky. The food on QF F is not what i was, but still perfectly acceptable. The service is normally good, although like all airlines not always consistent.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:48 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The QF 380 is significantly better than AA’s offerings. It’s quiet and the inertia of the plane helps damp out the bumps to some degree.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would say that Qantas is better than AA, but not 49% better. I would take the 74k on AA

Not sure how QF is any more iconic than any other major carrier tbh
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:04 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
For what its worth, I love QF F on the A380 but I haven't flow AA F internationally ever. Personally I like starting a touristy international trip with an airline of the country I am flying to. From local movies and documentaries to local food, its just a personal preference.
Is all of this worth 36k miles? I would believe yes but of course YMMV.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
6 sectors in F on the A380 in the last 8 months
1. Great bed-good service given the limitations of the crew in making decisions about the soft product
2. Shocking food with some individual components struggling to reach Y standards
3. Incorrect menus and wine lists with last minute substitutions - cheap wines and vintage champagnes having replaced the usual (have copies/pics of all of the above and will be writing a trip report soon)
4. FA's embarrassed at having to deliver a budget F product
5. Lots of promises
6. The promise to "change after I've ripped you off and saved a lot of money from this" very much the new Qantas
Avoid at all costs unless you have points to. shed
Cedar Jet likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I amazingly snagged a QF F award w AA miles and I’m having some 2nd thoughts. 110K is a lot of miles. I’ve always thought of QF as iconic and to fly in F on the A380 from LAX would be really cool. I just found an AA web special same day in F for 74K. Saving 36K miles for future use/trips would be nice but I feel like I’ll regret it if I do that. If it was CX F or JL F I get that 36K is worth it over what I’ll get w AA. Just w QF I’m not sure. I guess it’s really up to how important the 36K miles are to me. Just wondering though it is a pretty special experience and def better than AA right ?
It is almost impossible to get an F award on Qantas, so I would very much be keeping that and flying it, 36,000 miles be damned.

I recently splurged on DOH-SYD-DOH in F on Qatar, which cleaned me out of miles. This was in spite of people saying there is currently no Krug, no specific F pyjamas, no specific F amenity kit... I'm hopeful they'll come back before I fly. However, I am getting F on a Qatar A380, which will be gone in three years or less. F on a QF A380 will not be around all that much longer either. I would absolutely be taking the opportunity to do it now, as you may never get the chance to do it again.

(QF F is a bucket list item for me, it's just so difficult to ever find an award seat - so well done you!)
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Really appreciate all the thoughtful responses with great insight. Thanks to all.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would save the 36k. It is a night flight (crew will be focused on getting you to sleep and QF cater with these - so you can sleep more we have streamlined the meny), food is probably equal, lounges are equal (as in you use the same). Crew and bed are probably better. Unfortunately QF F is a long way from where it was. AA will also probably look after you better in an irrops situation which with QF and its 380s is alarmingly more frequent than I would like.

but each to go their own. On,y you know the value of the 36k. And interesting that on the QF board, few are suggesting to take QF

KF
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Really appreciate all the thoughtful responses with great insight. Thanks to all.
Make sure you let us know your decision... and also, if you do fly it, please take the time to write in some feedback, as I'll be jealously reading every word
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:58 pm

One thing that I would consider - look at the value of the 36k points and then ask yourself , woulf you pay that much extra just to fly on QF vs AA. If using a USD.02 per mile valuation, that would be USD720 value. Basing it on purchasing miles, with the 20% discount currently offered, it would cost USD1083 to purchase 36k miles

I know that I wouldnt rate Qantas worth an extra USD700-1000 over AA for the 15 hours journey. Ground service is going to be the same, though AA does have its Flagship 1st check in facility. Lounges are the same - though the QF 1st lounge is probably closer to the gate for the QF flight vs the AA one. There isn't even a benefit that one has a daytime service rather than nighttime departure. AA seems to have better portion sizes in meals ime - AA does seem to think that ice cream is a major dessert offering, so a slight minus there
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:25 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
QF Cons
The food is shockingly crap for 'F' class compared with its competitors.
The service is on the whole amateur, rustic and unrefined but friendly.
The lavs are no better than economy lavs.
Amenities are a good business class standard - as is the entire experience. Read premium business class.

QF Pro's.
The bed is excellent - the only thing going for QF 'F'.
SYD & MEL F Lounges
It's an A380 which is always a pleasure to fly and the best aircraft in the sky.

Personally I wouldn't waste the points; stick with AA. Qantas First is a total waste of points or money. Maybe OK value upgrading from J to F using points, maybe.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 1:29 am

The Sydney and Melbourne 1st lounges are not available for US-AU - for AU-US, an AA 1st class passenger would have the same access
Old Apr 12, 2023, 2:29 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
The QF F bed is excellent, super comfy. Much better than AA.
Service and wine better than AA.

But this is a night flight.
I’d just go with the cheaper option and bank the 36K miles.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
QF 1st on the 380 was great. I'd spend the miles myself and have done so. AA F if you get a surly crew is . . . meh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.