Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF F Vs AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2023, 11:19 pm

Just curious - when/how did you snag the QF "F" award? Was it back when premium QF awards were available on the AA website? Or did you use BA or EF and call it in to AA?

I've had two QF F awards - one in March 2020 - of course that didn't happen. And the 2nd, June last year. That timing wasn't optimum, and I wasn't overly excited at traveling during the Australian winter. In hindsight, I still regret letting that award go.

The additional miles would be worth it to me, to experience the A380 & 1st class lounge at LAX, since I haven't yet. Particulary since AA's window for devaluation of partner awards is unknown. Who knows what that 110K might look like next year.

I've been closely watching AA's SYD awards for March and April for months. There are J and F bargains for sure, if one's willing/able to flexible and is agreeable to AA's product. If it's a consideration, AA currently only has three cabins scheduled through October (LAX-SYD).
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
The additional miles would be worth it to me, to experience the A380 & 1st class lounge at LAX, since I haven't
to clarify, the QF lounges will be available whether on AA or QF. The only difference is onboard.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
...I've had two QF F awards - one in March 2020 - of course that didn't happen. And the 2nd, June last year. That timing wasn't optimum, and I wasn't overly excited at traveling during the Australian winter. In hindsight, I still regret letting that award go.......
Australian winters (~June July) are nothing like in DCA/IAD & BUF. Indeed the best time to visit the red centre and north. Australia has a varied climate from the tropic (wet/dry season) north to the more temperate south.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Just curious - when/how did you snag the QF "F" award? Was it back when premium QF awards were available on the AA website? Or did you use BA or EF and call it in to AA?

I've had two QF F awards - one in March 2020 - of course that didn't happen. And the 2nd, June last year. That timing wasn't optimum, and I wasn't overly excited at traveling during the Australian winter. In hindsight, I still regret letting that award go.

The additional miles would be worth it to me, to experience the A380 & 1st class lounge at LAX, since I haven't yet. Particulary since AA's window for devaluation of partner awards is unknown. Who knows what that 110K might look like next year.

I've been closely watching AA's SYD awards for March and April for months. There are J and F bargains for sure, if one's willing/able to flexible and is agreeable to AA's product. If it's a consideration, AA currently only has three cabins scheduled through October (LAX-SYD).
I just saw it on AA.com believe it or not. Every now and then they come up but typically its too last minute but in this case it was on the exact day I wanted to leave to tie it into the return home I had already booked. I thought for sure it would come up with the Choose a different fare message or your page has taken flight but it did not.

The AA deals are great right now. 65K in J is the best and 74.5K in F. Even for what AA will offer its still really good I think to get down under. On other days its 450K and 490K which is freaking outrageous !!
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

One day left to decide b/c the hold on AA will fall off. 110K just feels like so much but I want to experience something different than AA. I want to have a cheese plate that didnt cost $1.99 to put out and I want a creative dessert (even me who loves the sundaes is feeling kind of over them). I dont want to get a rude or even average AA crew. Want to have good FA's who are proactive. I like the AA F seat but that Qantas bed looks so much better. And to be on the A380 would be really cool.

I think I just bite the bullet and go Qantas. If this was EK, QR, AF, LH, JL, CX, SQ or NH you would be a fool not to use the 36K more and forget AA. But I feel like while Qantas is probably a top 10 airline, it probably comes in right at number 10. I feel like a lot of you will say its not even top 10, more like 15. Just to me I have always wanted to fly it and I consider it iconic. Never been down under and be cool to fly them to get there. Just the livery too is my favorite. 24 hours to go to decide but leaning towards the 110K but I gotta say that is a ton of miles to let go on a one way trip.

if 16K difference no debate at all, take QF. If 56K then forget QF and take AA. 36K feels like the absolute worst possible mileage point as its really right on the cusp for a QF F Vs. AA F debate.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you really sure that QF is really worth around $720 extra for the 15 hour flight ? there may be something better than a cheap cheese plate and ice cream, but I cannot think of any airline meal that I have had that would come close to that value

Its not as if QF has anything that makes its A380 service anything different to the norm ( c.f. EK showers + bar ) - it is just a larger aeroplane
Old Apr 15, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
The A380 is my favorite long-haul aircraft and if I get a chance to fly on an A380 in F on any airline, I usually choose that option. If you haven't flow in F on an A380 and it is on your bucket list, I would say go for it. However I wouldn't say QF F is anything special and wouldn't compare it to some of the Asian or ME airline F class.

AA F on a 77W is decent enough and even AA J on a 77W is pretty good. If you feel 110k miles vs 74k miles is big difference, I would save your miles and fly AA F. However if you have too many miles and can't use it fast enough, go ahead and splurge on the QF F A380.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I think I just bite the bullet and go Qantas. If this was EK, QR, AF, LH, JL, CX, SQ or NH you would be a fool not to use the 36K more and forget AA. But I feel like while Qantas is probably a top 10 airline, it probably comes in right at number 10. I feel like a lot of you will say its not even top 10, more like 15. Just to me I have always wanted to fly it and I consider it iconic. Never been down under and be cool to fly them to get there. Just the livery too is my favorite. 24 hours to go to decide but leaning towards the 110K but I gotta say that is a ton of miles to let go on a one way trip.
I think your reasoning is sound and I completely understand your hesitation about it being on the cusp miles wise. I had the same when I was spending a large chunk on my QR F, when people were saying it wasn't great because of X, Y and Z. Still took the plunge, because you only live once!

Regardless of all the negativity on here, it's still Qantas and they are still considered one of the world's premier airlines. You're also getting the A380. F is still their best product, so you should get the best service and best food and best attention out of all the classes. Who knows, maybe you'll end up having an utterly amazing flight and prove all the naysayers here wrong. I'd be doing it without any hesitation myself.

Make sure you come back post flight and show us some pictures of all the meal courses and your thoughts! I'd really love to vicariously experience it and hear what you have to say.
nancypants and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Regardless of all the negativity on here, it's still Qantas and they are still considered one of the world's premier airlines. You're also getting the A380. F is still their best product, so you should get the best service and best food and best attention out of all the classes.
Really not sure what makes getting the A380 anything beyond a statement of fact - the aspect of F being the airline's best product applies to AA too

Maybe it will be better than AA for the in air element - not just whether it is better, but how much better that matters ; if all was equal, I would choose QF over AA - In this case it is 48.6% more expensive

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Make sure you come back post flight and show us some pictures of all the meal courses and your thoughts! I'd really love to vicariously experience it and hear what you have to say.
or better - post details to the trip reports forum which is the place for trip reports
Old Apr 16, 2023, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Really not sure what makes getting the A380 anything beyond a statement of fact.
It's not like the A380 is particularly common. Sure, it is for people from countries that have an airline with the aircraft, but overall it is a rare aircraft which is becoming rarer with the retirements and so on. My advice to people who have not flown it is to do it now while you still can. Hence why I mentioned it as though it was a positive point - because it is. Plus it is still one of the most comfortable aircraft to fly aboard.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 3:51 am

I would disagree that the aeroplane is more comfirtable- I see comfort as coming down to what the airline does for seating etc rather than aeroplane shell

In the end, the OP will decide whether he thinks that Qantas will be 50% better than AA for the same class of service and make a decision. hopefully will end up happy with whatever decision is made
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:06 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Since posts are being repeated, I’ll join in. The A380 is a very quiet aircraft (inside). A long flight in a quiet environment is more relaxing. The 77W and the 789 do not match the audible cabin comfort provided by the 380.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would disagree that the aeroplane is more comfortable- I see comfort as coming down to what the airline does for seating etc rather than aeroplane shell
In most cases, I completely agree with you, as I've always been amused by the argument from some, saying things like an A320 is more comfortable than a Boeing 737, or a Boeing 757 is less comfortable than a Boeing 767. It does indeed come down to the individual airline's configuration and the particular seat chosen, not to mention travel class.

However in this instance, I'll have to disagree, as the Airbus A380 is unbelievably quiet inside the cabin compared to previous generation aircraft. That, along with the lower cabin altitude during flight, make a huge difference to the flying experience and post flight recovery. The cabin altitude is replicated on the Boeing 787 and Airbus A350, but I still think the A380 is quieter inside. It's not something you'd need to strain to notice either, it's quite obvious.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Chiming in here, I would just go for it if I were you. The thing about Qantas is how consistently inconsistent they are.

I flew SYD-SIN in F a few months ago and had one of the best F flights I have taken. The FAs were in top form and when they are in top form they can easily best most EK FAs thanks to service which is personal and charming. The food was also quite decent, and the wines had improved quite a bit, with excellent and interesting $300+ vintage champagne on offer (I say interesting because not the standard Dom/Veuve LGD/Krug that other airlines have), and some generally decent wines otherwise. The refreshed A380s have improved the already excellent seat, and the upgraded bar area is a decent place to sit and have a cocktail.

But it is hit and miss! Coming from LAX-SYD/MEL the catering seems to be quite poor and accounts of service also not great. But you might get lucky with a great crew.
perfusionist1982 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mitellic
Chiming in here, I would just go for it if I were you. The thing about Qantas is how consistently inconsistent they are.

I flew SYD-SIN in F a few months ago and had one of the best F flights I have taken. The FAs were in top form and when they are in top form they can easily best most EK FAs thanks to service which is personal and charming. The food was also quite decent, and the wines had improved quite a bit, with excellent and interesting $300+ vintage champagne on offer (I say interesting because not the standard Dom/Veuve LGD/Krug that other airlines have), and some generally decent wines otherwise. The refreshed A380s have improved the already excellent seat, and the upgraded bar area is a decent place to sit and have a cocktail.

But it is hit and miss! Coming from LAX-SYD/MEL the catering seems to be quite poor and accounts of service also not great. But you might get lucky with a great crew.
Thanks for the perspective. Why is LAX catering so bad?? The special meals out of there are horrible. DL and AA food out of JFK is better. Had no idea on the $300 champagne. I thought just like the QF F lounge they arent serving anything too special.

I'd love to just fly them in F on the SIN/SYD route for 60K less than what I am using to go from LA. I could make that work. Get to Asia on JL which seems super easy right now, get down to SYD on QF F and home on an AA web special. Its even more impossible to find AA awards on that route though than the already near impossible LAX route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.