Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF F Vs AA

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I am going to call AA when I wake up b/c I know at this hour AA wont have someone around to call QF and figure this out.
When are you actually flying your Qantas F flight?

With all the changes and so on you've reported (including a DL swap out and swap back?) if you are still flying it, it had better be the best flight you ever had.

Really hope you are still doing it as I'm dying, at this point, to hear what it's like. Make sure you take lots of pics and share on here!
Old May 1, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
When are you actually flying your Qantas F flight?

With all the changes and so on you've reported (including a DL swap out and swap back?) if you are still flying it, it had better be the best flight you ever had.

Really hope you are still doing it as I'm dying, at this point, to hear what it's like. Make sure you take lots of pics and share on here!
Just Before Covid they swapped to a 789 so I cancelled. Rebooked for March 25 2020 then that was scrapped of course. Now 3 years later and a week ago cancelled as discussed above and now may 1 tonite delayed 12 hours.

AA so incompetent. On w them an hour and accomplishing nothing. At least Qantas answers phone immediately and seems to know more or here they aren’t switching me to the actual QF12 tomorrow nite flight.

Leaving for LaX for a 1030am flight is horrendous w traffic and also not sure what to expect w that flight and how it will be leaving in the morning.

AA rep comes back and says she has a PE seat and I’m all set. She thought I was in PE. Omg. Now she is trying to get me F but I don’t think she understands she needs to call QF and liaise w them. There is no actual award seat showing for tomorrows night flight

Btw there is a JAL F award and then I could go NH J w UA miles to get down. I’m almost ready to just do that. 80K for JL F and then bien my last 50K UA miles on NH not a huge NH fan. Rather fly BR but nothing avail w them.

Now at 88 minutes on w AA.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; May 1, 2023 at 1:18 pm
Old May 1, 2023, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Ok AA made the switch after talking to QF so I was able to move 1 day forward to tomorrows QF 12. Maybe it was silly of me but flying at 1030am out of LA on that flight just didnt do it for me. I want it to be dark out for the majority of the flight not 1/5 of the flight. I want to enjoy that great looking bed and be on a clock where I will want to sleep. Also I could easily see them messing up catering due to the odd time of that flight leaving.

The only thing I dont get is why does this airline put seats under airport control so early before a flight (40 hourrs?). 5A is open, I can see it on EF available but I cant get it. Called QF and they cant help No way that will be open come tomorrow once people start to check in who are in the middle or K side and will want to grab the A seat.

I did get 5K so at least I have a window. In the rework from the trip a week ago I would have had to go 2 days later and be put in the middle section which really was bumming me out. However, 1 FA for 5 ppl sounds a lot better than 1 FA for 10.

All this said I am going.......well as long as QF doesnt freaking cancel it AGAIN>

Thanks for all the help, ideas, suggestions & patience.

I hope this is freaking the flight of my life b/c the time & effort have been exhausting.
Old May 1, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Great to hear you are finally, perhaps going. Please come back and let us know your thoughts. :-)
Old May 1, 2023, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Great to hear you are finally, perhaps going. Please come back and let us know your thoughts. :-)
Thank you will do. Little frustrated 5A is open not even blocked, but I cant get it b/c its under airport control and its not even 24 hours out. Is it worth going to the airport super early to try to get 5A,? Everyone says how better the A side is.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Thank you will do. Little frustrated 5A is open not even blocked, but I cant get it b/c its under airport control and its not even 24 hours out. Is it worth going to the airport super early to try to get 5A,? Everyone says how better the A side is.
5A maybe reserved for last minute purchase or crew/ staff transport. If it becomes open, it’s quite possible that it’ll be a last minute shuffle or upgrade for a high status pax (based on my limited experience in watching what happens). And, seats can be shuffled by check in staff - so you can’t always be sure your favourite seat will stick.
Old May 1, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by ianassum
The "fraction" of A380s working ATM is 7/10 as 2 have beens crapped for parts
Actually 8 out of 10 are operational.

Of these 7 are refurbished.

The other is doing the SYD-HKG-SYD ( not refurbished) QF127/128.

There are 2 sitting in Abu Dhabi and will be there for a considerable period of time (1-2 years).

Of course the 2 A380 remaining from the original 12 fleet are permanently domiciled at Victorville Boneyard.

Last edited by robertr; May 1, 2023 at 10:43 pm Reason: Further info added
Old May 2, 2023, 4:41 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
I meant the refurbished ones only
Old May 2, 2023, 5:17 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ianassum
The "fraction" of A380s working ATM is 7/10 as 2 have beens crapped for parts
7 or 8/10 is still a fraction. Even when QF had a fleet of 12, it only took 1 or two to go Mx and QF1/2 and 11/12 would be delayed for 24 hours with flow on effects.
Princess fiona likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by robertr
There are 2 sitting in Abu Dhabi and will be there for a considerable period of time (1-2 years).

Of course the 2 A380 remaining from the original 12 fleet are permanently domiciled at Victorville Boneyard.
How do you figure they will be in Abu Dhabi for one to two years? They're there for a cabin refurbishment, not for storage.

The ones in Victorville are being mined for spare parts and will never fly again. I'll be curious to see how long it takes until they're broken up completely.
Old May 2, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
5A is the only bassinet seat in F. It is blocked until it goes under Airport Control.
If there are no infants in F then you should be able to get it at check-in.
Old May 2, 2023, 8:53 pm

[QUOTE=FlightDetective;35218902]How do you figure they will be in Abu Dhabi for one to two years? They're there for a cabin refurbishment, not for storage./QUOTE]

There are considerable delays with refurbishment of aircraft at Abu Dhabi and it could be 2025 until they are refurbished.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by robertr
There are considerable delays with refurbishment of aircraft at Abu Dhabi and it could be 2025 until they are refurbished.
Do you have a source for your claims so I can check it out?

I'd be interested to see the article stating this.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Do you have a source for your claims so I can check it out?

I'd be interested to see the article stating this.
https://simpleflying.com/qantas-too-...80s-returning/

I have seen this reported elsewhere.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:51 am

Source Aviation International News

“Aircraft manufacturers are seeing the same supply chain delays as a lot of other industries and we’ve been told that some of our deliveries will be pushed back by up to six months,” Joyce commented. “When you combine the delays with the sustained growth in travel demand that we’re seeing, we need to find other ways to lift capacity in the short and medium term.” Once the delayed aircraft are delivered, the group has the option to retire or retain the aircraft they were originally designed to replace depending on market conditions, Qantas noted.

Challenges with global supply chains are also impacting replacement parts, Joyce said, citing the auxiliary power units of Jetstar’s A320s, while adding that MRO slot availability is slowing down the planned return-to-service of Qantas’s remaining A380s to early 2025. “Every maintenance facility around the world is very full because every airline is trying to get their aircraft back up and running,” he commented.
FlightDetective likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.