Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
OK, I'm confused... why would a trip to SFO be a good thing now? It looks like they're cancelling and/or downgrading all the SFO flights...???? What am I missing? 🙂

My SYD-DFW flight will be impacted by this. It's an AA partner award. Any thoughts on whether AA/Qantas will let me change the Award ticket to SYD-LAX without a redeposit fee, given the equipment change? Annoyed I just bought the ticket yesterday.
Originally Posted by og
If you like the 744, hate the 789 and don’t want to go on the 380 or to SCL or JNB, then SFO is the go.
indeed, see Reality check required for details of my 747 addiction
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
OK, I'm confused... why would a trip to SFO be a good thing now? It looks like they're cancelling and/or downgrading all the SFO flights...???? What am I missing? 🙂
They've cut what was effectively 2 daily AU-SFO 787s to a single daily 747, which they've taken from HND. HND's gotten the A330 they've pulled from SIN, PVG and HKG.
787s from SFO and due to start on SCL and ORD have gone instead to DFW and LHR.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: QFF
I wonder what they'll do if Sydney gets quarantined like some doctors are suggesting.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:00 pm

Anyone know what they’re proposing to do with the excess a380 crews?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by nancypants
Anyone know what they’re proposing to do with the excess a380 crews?
No - Joyce said they have 2000 excess positions. Managed through leave, paid and unpaid was his only offering.

Where are they getting the extra crews for the 787 routes to London - they would be pretty stretched on that front with doubling those flights.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikalee
No - Joyce said they have 2000 excess positions. Managed through leave, paid and unpaid was his only offering.

Where are they getting the extra crews for the 787 routes to London - they would be pretty stretched on that front with doubling those flights.
JQ?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
787 routes are getting rejigged. Some switching to 330 and 747s, SCL remaining as 747.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by moa999
787 routes are getting rejigged. Some switching to 330 and 747s, SCL remaining as 747.
Looks like my upcoming trip to USA in early June which is AKL-SYD-SFO will be switched on SYD-SFO on QF73 to a 747 from 787. Ugh means old seats. I'm guessing thats not going to be a reason they would allow a change to a different flight.

My return is LAX-SYD on QF12. This is currently on an old config A380, This seems to be unchanged. Wonder if they might swap this for a newer config A380?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
So which routes now keep A380. SYD-LAX and ?

presumably they would use a new config for this right?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
So which routes now keep A380. SYD-LAX and ?

presumably they would use a new config for this right?
SYD-LAX will be the sole A380 route.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:08 pm

What I mean is that a rotation of SYD-PER-LHR return would use far more crew members due to the duplication of crew on the PER-LHR sector and the long duty time and subsequent longer rest periods then say a rotation of MEL-LAX rtn. The total number of crew-people required for two or three 787s on this new service would be far greater than on more traditional shorter service. (Maybe there is a quick upgrade course for some JQ 787 crew to do to go Ultra Long Haul)
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:12 pm

Is this not an opportunity to bring forward the retirement of some 747s and have the A380 replace the 747's with reduced frequency?

I imagine although only 2 A380s will be needed for the daily SYD-LAX rotation a 3rd and or 4th aircraft will be available to rotate through at short notice. Otherwise the schedule will be very vulnerable but perhaps that won't be an issue to manage the odd cancellation.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
They've cut what was effectively 2 daily AU-SFO 787s to a single daily 747, which they've taken from HND. HND's gotten the A330 they've pulled from SIN, PVG and HKG.
787s from SFO and due to start on SCL and ORD have gone instead to DFW and LHR.
Thats a great summary Himeno.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by eminere
OK thx. Does anyone know if they are using newly configured seats for this route now?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Originally Posted by eminere
OK thx. Does anyone know if they are using newly configured seats for this route now?
No one, probably including QF, will not know at this time
The changes were announced ~ 7 hours ago, so will still being worked on.
Have a look at the seat map in few weeks time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.