Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
QF Intl/Domestic cancellations- updated email recvd today

As the national carrier, we know how important it is for Australians to travel and stay connected.

For 100 years, the wellbeing of our customers has been, and continues to remain, our highest priority. We’ve weathered challenging times before but in the wake of the unprecedented impact of the Coronavirus, we’ve had to make some tough decisions.

Unfortunately, the changes will have a big impact on both our customers and our people.

OUR CUSTOMERS

We have announced further changes to our business. We’ve made these decisions in response to the evolving Coronavirus situation, including various government-imposed travel restrictions beyond our control.

International network changes

All Qantas and Jetstar international flights from Australia will be suspended from the end of March until at least the end of May 2020. Some additional services may be considered to assist with repatriation. More than 150 aircraft will be grounded during this time, including all of Qantas’ A380s, 747s and B787s.

Stay up to date with the latest international network changes.

Domestic network changes

As the national carrier, we will be looking to maintain essential domestic, regional and freight connections as much as possible. However, we will be suspending around 60 percent of our domestic flying until at least the end of May 2020. The reduction in capacity will mostly come from a significant reduction in flight frequency, but also route suspensions and postponing a number of new route launches.

The route-by-route detail of these changes can be found here.

Options for our customers

We are currently working through plans to ensure we have suitable options available for everyone, including providing new flight details where possible for impacted domestic customers and processing a flight credit for all other customers from early next week.

Please standby and wait to hear from us before changing your booking. We'll be contacting anyone whose flight has been impacted over the next week to let you know your options.

If your flight was booked through a travel agency or third-party website and is impacted by the above network changes, you will need to contact this company directly from early next week to obtain your credit voucher or make booking changes.

For information regarding the Australian Consumer Law click here.

Call centre delays – we thank you for your patience

Our call centres are under significant pressure responding to the rapidly evolving travel situation. At this stage we are prioritising those with imminent travel, and we ask that you do not call our call centres unless your travel is commencing within the next 48 hours.

If your flights were booked through a travel agency or third-party website, please contact these companies directly.

Lounge closures

As a result of the reduction in international flying we'll be temporarily closing our international lounges and a number of domestic lounges in line with the network changes. In this climate you may also notice some temporary changes to your inflight and lounge experience.

To see the full list of lounge closures click here.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Scuttlebutt down at the precinct is that current restrictions will be in place at least until end April, possibility of individual country easing from then until reasonable wind-back end of May.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: NZ
I have one booking where I would like a refund, and anther where a voucher is ok. I am going to wait till they contact me. It is interesting that the latest message above from QF makes reference and links to information about Australian Consumer Law on their website. I suspect they know that they will have to give a refund if a customer requests it, but are hoping that the majority won't realise they have this option and accept the voucher.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by minz56
.......It is interesting that the latest message above from QF makes reference and links to information about Australian Consumer Law on their website. I suspect they know that they will have to give a refund if a customer requests it, but are hoping that the majority won't realise they have this option and accept the voucher.
I’m assuming that a foreign carrier (AY) that sells a ticket in Australia (in AUD) is subject to the same consumer laws on refund? Thinking my QF/AY RTW that now has all flights cancelled.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Even the Chairmans Longes are closing....they will have to slum it in the Business Lounge if they are game.

Domestic Chairmans Lounges

The following lounges are temporarily closing:
  • Perth
  • Adelaide
  • Melbourne
  • Canberra
  • Sydney
  • Brisbane
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by og
I’m assuming that a foreign carrier (AY) that sells a ticket in Australia (in AUD) is subject to the same consumer laws on refund? Thinking my QF/AY RTW that now has all flights cancelled.
Yes, they should be bound by Australian Consumer Law.
og likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by mikalee
Even the Chairmans Longes are closing....they will have to slum it in the Business Lounge if they are game.

Domestic Chairmans Lounges

The following lounges are temporarily closing:
  • Perth
  • Adelaide
  • Melbourne
  • Canberra
  • Sydney
  • Brisbane
it’s alright, we’ve started organising a whip round for them here 😉
3544quebec and jrfsp320 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:59 pm

AND there we have it. No International RPT ops for QF. A couple of freighters ploughing away.

nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
it’s alright, we’ve started organising a whip round for them here 😉
Do you have a Go Fund Me page where I can contribute some Krug and Caviar (the former corked and the latter out of date but beggars can't be choosers)
Mwenenzi and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:22 pm

It seems QF has reduced its domestic network to not much more the VA. Understandable but I am surprised no formal announcement has been made to the ASX.

Qantas culls its flying fleet to "three aircraft"
"For the next few weeks we’ll essentially be flying three aircraft – a Qantas 737, a Jetstar A320 and a QantasLink Dash 8 – so that will be the entire domestic network," Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce told airline staff during a Town Hall teleconference held briefing on Wednesday April 8.

Although I suspect the Intra WA & QLD networks are still operating a bit for the resources sector and government subsidized routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.