Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:08 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

Only 2 A380s to remain flying:

In response to strong customer demand for the direct Perth-London service, the existing Sydney- Singapore-London return service (QF1 and QF2) will be temporarily re-routed to become a Sydney-Perth- London service from 20 April.
The start of Qantas’ new Brisbane-Chicago route will be delayed from 15 April to mid-September.”

Changes are quite significant for 787 routes:
BNE SFO Cancelled
MEL SFO Cancelled
SYD SFO reverting to 747
SYD DFW going 787
MEL LAX A380 replaced by 787
SYD to Vancouver service suspended June and July
SYD PER LHR double daily 787
Syd Santiago 747 remains on route
MEL SIN QF35/36 A330 replaces 787

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/202003...gd46nx86ch.pdf
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
A380s to be Grounded

Per Reuters.

Qantas Airways Ltd (QAN.AX) said on Tuesday it would cut its international capacity by nearly 25% over the next six months, including grounding most of its Airbus SE (AIR.PA) A380s, as it grapples with a plunge in demand from the coronavirus.

That includes plans to ground eight of its 12 A380 superjumbos, with two remaining flying and the other two in maintenance.

I wonder which routes, if any, will keep the A380.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Exclamation Massive QF flight reductions - 8 A380 to be grounded

Reports just in that QF will reduce 25% of flights.
8 A380 to be grounded, 2 in mx, to fly to US.
SYD-SIN-LHR to now be SYD-PER-LHR.
reuters.com
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
You just beat me to it by less than a minute with my post.
The report says SYD-SIN-LHR to be rerouted to SYD-PER-LHR.
So the only majot routes are to the US either LAX or DFW. As the A380 takes a payload hit on the DFW routing I assume they will keep LAX and use that as a hub for US domestic connections.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF web site ---> https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...irus-response/
QANTAS GROUP UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE
Published on 10th March 2020
The Qantas Group has announced further cuts to its international flying, reducing capacity by almost a quarter for the next six months.

The latest cuts follow the spread of the Coronavirus into Europe and North America over the past fortnight, as well as its continued spread through Asia, which has resulted in a sudden and significant drop in forward travel demand.

These additional changes will bring the total international capacity reduction for Qantas and Jetstar from 5 per cent to 23 per cent versus the same time last year and extend these cuts until mid-September 2020.

The biggest reductions remain focussed on Asia (now down 31 per cent compared with the same period last year). Capacity reductions to the United States (down 19 per cent), the UK (down 17 per cent) and Trans-Tasman (down 10 per cent) will also be made in line with forward booking trends.

CHANGES TO SERVICES

Rather than exit routes altogether, Qantas will use smaller aircraft and reduce the frequency of flights to maintain overall connectivity.

This approach results in eight of the airline’s largest aircraft, the Airbus A380, grounded until mid-September. A further two A380s are undergoing scheduled heavy maintenance and cabin upgrades, leaving two of its A380s flying.

In response to strong customer demand for the direct Perth-London service, the existing Sydney-Singapore-London return service (QF1 and QF2) will be temporarily re-routed to become a Sydney-Perth-London service from 20 April.

The start of Qantas’ new Brisbane-Chicago route will be delayed from 15 April to mid-September.
<snip>
Edit
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...67b16a5e7aad00
<snip>
The biggest change will be for Sydneysiders heading to London. From April 20, instead of flying through Singapore and on to London, flights will be temporarily re-routed to become a Sydney-Perth-London service.

The much-anticipated Brisbane to Chicago route will now be delayed from mid-April to mid-September. The airline’s route from Brisbane and Melbourne to San Francisco has also been suspended.
<snip>
MEL & BNE taking a bigger hit than SYD?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 9, 2020 at 4:29 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
You just beat me to it by less than a minute with my post.
The report says SYD-SIN-LHR to be rerouted to SYD-PER-LHR.
So the only majot routes are to the US either LAX or DFW. As the A380 takes a payload hit on the DFW routing I assume they will keep LAX and use that as a hub for US domestic connections.
It depends whether they plan to suspend routes or switch aircraft. I'd actually guess that DFW keeps going with A380 since the alternative is 789 or suspend.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: QF WP
Time for me to book a SFO trip then
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jridge
It depends whether they plan to suspend routes or switch aircraft. I'd actually guess that DFW keeps going with A380 since the alternative is 789 or suspend.
I posted details of the changes including the aircraft changes such as the 788 on DFW route in another thread with a link to the QF ASX statement giving more detail.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by markis10
I posted details of the changes including the aircraft changes such as the 788 on DFW route in another thread with a link to the QF ASX statement giving more detail.
Now I see that DFW is going to 789. The details are also in a table here: https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...irus-response/
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
Time for me to book a SFO trip then
I already have a MEL-BNE-SFO J award in July Made sure was no need to the do SYD T3 T1 shuffle
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ
Start of new BNE/ORD service also delayed (was due to start on 15 April 2020)
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
Start of new BNE/ORD service also delayed (was due to start on 15 April 2020)
Mid Sept now according to the first post!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:36 pm

OK, I'm confused... why would a trip to SFO be a good thing now? It looks like they're cancelling and/or downgrading all the SFO flights...???? What am I missing? 🙂

My SYD-DFW flight will be impacted by this. It's an AA partner award. Any thoughts on whether AA/Qantas will let me change the Award ticket to SYD-LAX without a redeposit fee, given the equipment change? Annoyed I just bought the ticket yesterday.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
OK, I'm confused... why would a trip to SFO be a good thing now? It looks like they're cancelling and/or downgrading all the SFO flights...???? What am I missing? 🙂

My SYD-DFW flight will be impacted by this. It's an AA partner award. Any thoughts on whether AA/Qantas will let me change the Award ticket to SYD-LAX without a redeposit fee, given the equipment change? Annoyed I just bought the ticket yesterday.
If you like the 744, hate the 789 and don’t want to go on the 380 or to SCL or JNB, then SFO is the go.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes

Do you have a F or J award? Questions about AA awards best asked in AA forum

In recent times SFO has not had F. Will have J, but depending in the route will be B747 not a B787. So not a "downgrade"
Brisbane-San Francisco Route suspended (3 return flights per week) 18 April
Sydney-San Francisco B787 replaced by larger B747 18 April
Melbourne-San Francisco Route suspended (4 return flights per week) 18 April

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.