Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF Capacity reductions , SIN F lounge closure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: NZ
As expected. Interesting to see what the "refund" policy is for cancelled flights.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Reductions now to mid-Sept 2020.
Check out the new update 18 March
Qantas International network changes. qantas.com.au
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Reductions now to mid-Sept 2020.
Check out the new update 18 March
Qantas International network changes. qantas.com.au
Isn't that largely the reductions they announced previously with some tweaks? I am expecting a lot more to come.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by minz56
Isn't that largely the reductions they announced previously with some tweaks? I am expecting a lot more to come.
Yes same reduction but instead of end of May the end date has been changed to mid-Sept.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Yes same reduction but instead of end of May the end date has been changed to mid-Sept.
The Original end date for the reductions had been end of August.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:16 pm

I'm in BKK right now, with my return on QF24 to Sydney this Saturday 21st. What's the likelihood that the flight would be cancelled in the next 3 days?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:14 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
No it is not. This is much sharper and more severe.

International - 20 Feb was 5% reduction, then 10 March was 23% of capacity removed until mid September followed by yesterday announcement being 90% of capacity removed until end of May.

Domestic - 20 Feb was 2% reduction, then 10 March was 5% of capacity removed until mid September followed by yesterday announcement being 60% of capacity removed until end of May.

Aircraft - 10 March announcement said 38 aircraft grounded including all but 2 A380s and yesterdays announcement said 150 aircraft grounded including almost all of the Group’s wide-body fleet.

From May to September - yesterday they said "Previously announced cuts in place from end-May through to mid-September remain in place and are likely to be increased, depending on demand"
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
ABC radio news just reported that QF has just announced the cessation of ALL international flights for QF and JQ from late March for two months and will stand down 2/3rds of employees temporarily.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:06 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...-network-cuts/
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...d45033a278f93d
Qantas cancels international flights, stands down staff amid coronavirus outbreak

Qantas will ground all its international flights and temporarily stand down about two-thirds of its 30,000 staff due to coronavirus.

Qantas will ground all its international flights and temporarily stand down two-thirds of its 30,000 staff until the end of May.

The cutbacks, announced this morning, come as Australia's biggest airline reels from a massive downturn in travel due to coronavirus.

Qantas international flights will be suspended from the end of March until May and domestic services will be cut by 60 per cent.

<snip>
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...virus/12069876

Qantas and Jetstar have announced that two-thirds of their 30,000 employees will be temporarily stood down from late March until at least the end of May.

The group will also suspend all international flights, after the Federal Government told all Australians to avoid international travel.

Qantas said some scheduled international flights would continue until late March to help people return home to Australia.

"As the national carrier, Qantas is in ongoing discussions with the Federal Government about continuation of some strategic links," it said in a statement to the ASX.

More than 150 aircraft have been temporarily grounded, including all of Qantas's A380s, 747s and B787-9s and Jetstar's B787-8s.
<snip>
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:19 pm

Well we knew this was coming, but now it looks like all international flights have been suspended till at least 31 May 2020.

And here's what they say about refunds:

"To avoid further inconvenience, we’re converting all bookings on cancelled flights to a travel credit, which can be used anywhere on our network. Affected customers will be contacted directly from next Monday. Any customers travelling before the end of May who wish to change their booking are also eligible to receive a travel credit instead."
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well we knew this was coming, but now it looks like all international flights have been suspended till at least 31 May 2020.

And here's what they say about refunds:

"To avoid further inconvenience, we’re converting all bookings on cancelled flights to a travel credit, which can be used anywhere on our network. Affected customers will be contacted directly from next Monday. Any customers travelling before the end of May who wish to change their booking are also eligible to receive a travel credit instead."
I'm sure the ACCC may have something to say about that.

If I booked a flight to travel on a certain date and the airline cancels it and offer no alternative on that date consumer law would indicate I am entitled to a full refund, not a travel credit.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:12 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
I'm sure the ACCC may have something to say about that.

If I booked a flight to travel on a certain date and the airline cancels it and offer no alternative on that date consumer law would indicate I am entitled to a full refund, not a travel credit.
Qantas will refund if pressed, it’s their policy, their just not drawing attention to it:https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...r-cancellation

"Customers are entitled to a refund in the following situations:

If we cancel your flight and we cannot offer you suitable alternative arrangements.
If we delay your flight to the extent that you have to cancel your travel.
If we make a significant change# to the scheduled flight time and we are unable to book you on an alternative flight that is acceptable to you.
If we cause you to miss a connecting Qantas flight on which you have a confirmed reservation.
If we are unable to carry you and you have a confirmed reservation."
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markis10
Qantas will refund if pressed, it’s their policy, their just not drawing attention to it:https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...r-cancellation

"Customers are entitled to a refund in the following situations:..."
I'm just a bit concerned about this part: "we’re converting all bookings on cancelled flights to a travel credit" and how that may fog up those conditions ...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by serfty
I'm just a bit concerned about this part: "we’re converting all bookings on cancelled flights to a travel credit" and how that may fog up those conditions ...
Might be a situation where one has to rely on the credit card reimbursing for the full amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.