Wiki Posts
Search

Reality check required

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP
Reality check required

ok so i’m an addict. I believe my first ever flight was on a 747, I used to work on then, they have taken me all over the world to work in Japan, Korea, the US, and probably brought me to Australia for the first time as well. I have worked in Longreach and of course shelled out to go wing walk the 747 there

having not been on one for a few years, I recently did some segments and it dawned on me that it’s going to be retired soon and I will be old and nostalgic

thus, my travel planning for the year is in full swing. I have reason to be in Tokyo twice next year, I also have reason to make a trip in mid December (avoiding being at home for my birthday)

now, I know I could fly JQ and pay about $2000 to score 250 SCs. But equally I could pay almost double that for 747 flights in the current sale (interestingly this scores only 240SC return). Either way it will have me way over my platinum requalification threshold 6 months early. I don’t think I will make P1 either way as I have too much flying on OW (also does JQ count for P1? Not sure)

so. Do I book the 747 flights, knowing this is probably one of the last years of opportunity, or do I book the cheaper flight?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's a no brainer - take the cheaper option

It is just an aeroplane - inside it looks not much different to any other aeroplane

The other thing to do is check what prices other airlines are offering and not be blinkered into Qantas group
nancypants and Goaguy like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nancypants
Do I book the 747 flights, knowing this is probably one of the last years of opportunity, or do I book the cheaper flight?
For $2,000? Book the cheaper flight, and use the saved money to book a completely different trip on a 747!
ps107 and DML like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
For $2,000? Book the cheaper flight, and use the saved money to book a completely different trip on a 747!
yeah but where to for that one?

this is all very no right-brainer 😉

(ps I haven’t even mentioned the SYD-MEL 747 return i’ve got on hold at the moment!!)

Last edited by nancypants; Aug 30, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Presumably you are nostalgic specifically for QF 747’s? If not, then no need to worry, 747’s will be flying for a while yet, albeit 747-800’s.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
747’s will be flying for a while yet.
You could go as cargo
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Presumably you are nostalgic specifically for QF 747’s? If not, then no need to worry, 747’s will be flying for a while yet, albeit 747-800’s.
confessing I haven’t flown a 748, I am highly nostalgic for the 400 series. Also the 8s don’t tend to come down this way that often 😭
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
You could try flying other airlines 747-400.
I too will miss the 747 when they retire they have lots of memories for me.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yeah but where to for that one?

This is all very no right-brainer ��

(ps I haven’t even mentioned the SYD-MEL 747 return i’ve got on hold at the moment!!)
BA will have B747's flying for some time. From wikipedia they have 34 B747 - 400
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._747_operators [sort on total right hand column]
As a wild guess they will end up being the last major airline with B747's is regular passenger service

But it is still a metal tube
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But it is still a metal tube
It may be “just” a metal tube, but if you want to spend serious time looking at the ground in all its detail, I believe the lower deck 747 windows give you the best opportunity. The 380 has great sound insulation but that means thick walls and restricted viewing. The 787 has windows blacked out by crew. The 777 has those massive wings and engines that restrict viewing (unless you’re in the very front or back). The 330 is OK but the window in the upward part of the curve of the cabin makes viewing less than optimum.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
TG SYD-BKK is operated by a 600 year old 747. Not even slope gently down the floor seats in business class. So for that 1990s feeling, I would recommend that. And this can be quite cheap as well.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Thai Airways fly the 747 to Japan and Germany and Australia too.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
TG SYD-BKK is operated by a 600 year old 747. Not even slope gently down the floor seats in business class. So for that 1990s feeling, I would recommend that. And this can be quite cheap as well.
this is excellent information! Thank you
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:52 pm

Thai use their ancient 747s on domestic routes sometimes too. You can get very cheap deals on upper-deck business class on these flights.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbytables
Thai use their ancient 747s on domestic routes sometimes too. You can get very cheap deals on upper-deck business class on these flights.
any specific ones I should look out for? Looks like HKT-DMK is a reasonable shout from a cursory glance at regos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.