Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
QF is just a very inefficient and poorly ran airline.

Some discussion points:
- took hefty losses for them to realize that 767-300s aren't exactly helping them?!?!?!?!
- if CX can't manage to sell F between HKG and SYD, what makes you think you can QF? Get those remaining 4-class 744s out of service and dump them
- why not try to see if EK is interested in PER - SIN? EK is a fierce competitor and can help QF against its rivals
- overall, instead of adopting an "all is nearly lost attitude," focus on the experience and excellent safety record that QF has and advertise it accordingly, retrain cabin crews (many of them have a serious attitude problem), and launch mileage promos on domestic routes that V Australia will have a harder time matching... after all QF's slogan is "Spirit of Australia" not "Spirit of Defeat"
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by jozdemir
The full announcement is here:

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2014022...4wbnf0wwm1.pdf

PER-SIN gone as bensyd mentioned...that's by 1Q FY2015

Along with:

- SYD-SIN and BNE-SIN to be operated by A333s from 1Q FY2015
- Retirement of all 763s by 3Q FY 2014/2015
- MEL-LHR to be retimed
- Retirement of the last 6 non re-configured 744s by second half of FY 2015/2016
- 8 remaining A380s deferred
- Deferral of the last three 787s
- Suspension of Jetstar growth in Asia
- 5,000 job losses. 1,500 from management/support positions and 3,500 from operational redunancies.
Perhaps I missed it in the linked document, however, where does it state the new about suspension of Jetstar growth in Asia - i assume this means HK and Japan operations?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slickalick
Perhaps I missed it in the linked document, however, where does it state the new about suspension of Jetstar growth in Asia - i assume this means HK and Japan operations?
It's on page 8 of the attached document. In other places they have stated that there will be know new growth at Jetstar Asia until conditions improve.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: QFF WP
I agree but the timing change I think was a negative personally and there's so many other better, cheaper options to SIN from Perth too...
It is hardly saurprising, if they tossed PER-HKG a year or so back why would they keep PER-SIN, afterall what PER resident would have a need to fly their national carrier to Asia what with the goold and iron ore and such nonsense that drives our economy.....

3x EK services a day, 2 x CX, 3 x SQ and not a single QF service come 12 months time, lovely really....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by seat_4D
It is hardly saurprising, if they tossed PER-HKG a year or so back why would they keep PER-SIN, afterall what PER resident would have a need to fly their national carrier to Asia what with the goold and iron ore and such nonsense that drives our economy.....

3x EK services a day, 2 x CX, 3 x SQ and not a single QF service come 12 months time, lovely really....
In fact I understand SQ has four daily services.

As for 12 months, the last regular PER-SIN-PER will operate on 12 May with just a token smattering of services in the July school holidays.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Is there a QP in the PER international terminal?
With no QF flights left, unless they bring back the PER-AKL sector I doubt they will keep it open rather than sell it to someone and use it as a contract lounge.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by moa999
A330 new seats should help with yield = revenue.

Otherwise if you are still losing money it seems difficult to spend big $$$s capital on new planes to increase seats, if all you will do is lose more money

It was interesting that the 787 options weren't mentioned at all
The 787s are needed to bring down the cost base.

BTW, will the A330 reconfig include PE? PE is a big winner for QF.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
With Emirates possibly announcing 380s into Perth soon, Qatar introducing 787s to Europe and CX flying out of Perth to everywhere with the best Biz class seat, who's going to miss Qantas? I'm more concerned that once again, there's a possibility the transcon routes to SYD and MEL go back to uncomfortable Biz seats. I called QF an Indian Giver in the past and I still think the term applies.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF
With the unions starting to talk industrial action will this put people off making future bookings with QF? Or will the fear of another lockout make the Unions think again and back off. Despite what people think of AJ (yes he does deserve part of the blame) the lockout situation was one of his smartest moves. Took the fight to the unions head on.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Is there a QP in the PER international terminal?
With no QF flights left, unless they bring back the PER-AKL sector I doubt they will keep it open rather than sell it to someone and use it as a contract lounge.
There is an unispiring QP with itinerant opening hours and restricted fare, kind of like the Kalgoorlie QP!

Perhaps SQ will take it over and get out of their hovel, and QF pax will be accomodated in the far nicer surrounds of the EK lounge.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: QFF
Not quite as bad as I was expecting. I had guessed at the 747 retirements with Asian sectors being replaced by 330s (though no mention of the NRT route?).
I am surprised by the last 8 380s being deferred again. Hadn't they already been deferred to 2016+?
I assume QFi paid for the 787's that JQ use?
Any more info on the QF9/10 re timing? Will this be a return to the old QF29/30/31/32 times? Meaning ~6 hours on the ground at LHR instead of ~18 and a lunch time departure instead of late evening.

Still, reading letters to the editor in the papers over the last week makes me shocked at just how wrong people are.

With the 767's going, I guess they'll drop QF3/4 and make JQ1/2 daily.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Himeno
Not quite as bad as I was expecting. I had guessed at the 747 retirements with Asian sectors being replaced by 330s (though no mention of the NRT route?).
I am surprised by the last 8 380s being deferred again. Hadn't they already been deferred to 2016+?
I assume QFi paid for the 787's that JQ use?
Any more info on the QF9/10 re timing? Will this be a return to the old QF29/30/31/32 times? Meaning ~6 hours on the ground at LHR instead of ~18 and a lunch time departure instead of late evening.

Still, reading letters to the editor in the papers over the last week makes me shocked at just how wrong people are.

With the 767's going, I guess they'll drop QF3/4 and make JQ1/2 daily.
Nothing specific about the retiming of QF9/10 yet, it just said that it would reduce the time on the ground for the aircraft.

QF 3/4 is actually getting an A330 in place of the 767 so that's still staying thus far.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Himeno
Nothing specific about the retiming of QF9/10 yet, it just said that it would reduce the time on the ground for the aircraft.
The obvious alternatives would be to move the departure from MEL until closer to midnight, or to move the departure from LHR to about lunchtime. But I can't see how doing something of both would easily work. So we could get a partial adoption of the old times.

I expect that in part this will depend on what else they can use the aircraft for using the 10-ish extra hours this will free up in every rotation. Unfortunately, I think the flights are just a fraction too long to allow the aircraft to rotate on the route every 48 hours.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
The 767 announcement is a little odd as they still have 16 of them, so they are a major component of the airline whether we like them or not. Considering they are not being replaced, what aircraft is going to fly these routes?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD

QF 3/4 is actually getting an A330 in place of the 767 so that's still staying thus far.
Let me guess the LHR-MEL flights will be retimed and not be as attractive... then in 12 months they will cut them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.