Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF
Would NRT be a corporate heavy route from Sydney? How would these people react to being put on a JQ operated flight?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by midkemia
Would NRT be a corporate heavy route from Sydney? How would these people react to being put on a JQ operated flight?
By switching to JL?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Spiff
By switching to JL?
JL772 has a poor ex-SYD departure time.
QF21, QF22 and JL771 are overnight flights, JL772 is a morning departure, arriving in Tokyo early evening.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Himeno
JL772 has a poor ex-SYD departure time..
Depends, my partner flew it this week on JL772 and said J class was full, and mainly full of Australians tapping away on their laptops (presumably working, although given the state of JL IFE maybe some of it was BYO IFE). I am sure some don't mind spending the day on the plane working, have a good night sleep and ready to get into the next day.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Depends, my partner flew it this week on JL772 and said J class was full, and mainly full of Australians tapping away on their laptops (presumably working, although given the state of JL IFE maybe some of it was BYO IFE). I am sure some don't mind spending the day on the plane working, have a good night sleep and ready to get into the next day.
The main problem with the JL SYD flight is that, except during daylight saving, it is not possible to connect to it from outside SYD without spending a night there. Even during daylight saving, you can only connect to JL772 if you get the first BNE/MEL/CBR-SYD flight of the day or a PER-SYD redeye.

I'd like it if they retimed QF22 to be a turn from NRT (and the aircraft doesn't sit at NRT all day). Then there would be a day time and an overnight flight in both directions.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:02 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Prime Minister Tony Abbott Encourages Qantas to Get "Its House in Order"

After rumors of Qantas potentially cutting 3,000 jobs surfaced, Australia's PM encouraged the airline to get "its house in order." The airline didn't confirm any rumors, but did announce that it would need to soon make "tough [business] decisions."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...222-338oi.html
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Himeno
JL772 has a poor ex-SYD departure time.
QF21, QF22 and JL771 are overnight flights, JL772 is a morning departure, arriving in Tokyo early evening.
This is just like QF services to other destinations in Asia - Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Manila - day flight out, evening flight back.

Surely QF wouldnt stop QF21 & 22, it is actually one of the most profitable routes. If they did, business people would just migrate onto JL, CX and SQ, not onto Jetstar.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by MOR
This is just like QF services to other destinations in Asia - Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Manila - day flight out, evening flight back.
The QF day flights to Asia leave late enough to allow connections. For most of the year, the JL flight, doesn't.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Rumo(u)rs are bad, but to do QF, who knows what happens Thursday am Sydney time.

Will QFF be hived off? That means no more or much harder to get cheaper award seats, etc, etc, etc...

Who knows, maybe the min SC to get to Silver might be raised back to 350, or even dread it, 400, or 450, or 500.

All they will say right now is 5000 jobs will go, and possibly a lot of routes will be cancelled.

I well remember the last major change, when 450 SC equaled 5000 points, and that 450 SC could be earnt over a period of time, then it became, to earn 8000 points, you had to have 500 SC over a 12 month period.

Could it get worst?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: QF Gold
We will have to wait and see but any purchaser of the QFF program will be looking to maximise any profit for themselves and shareholders and if that means fewer benefits for FF'ers then that's how it will pan out. I understand Aeroplan, which was considered a real asset for Air Canada, has had several changes to the detriment of the customer since becoming a spun-off company.

For example, the Elite level previously at 35,000 Aeroplan Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments was changed to 50,000 Aeroplan Status Miles or 50 Status Flight Segments.

Also only 25% points are earned on their lowest fare, Tango Class (at least QF gives you a minimum of 1000, and 100% on Red-e-deal discount economy on distances over 1000 miles, but will that continue if privatised?)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
All they will say right now is 5000 jobs will go, and possibly a lot of routes will be cancelled.
That's not what QF is saying. That's what the media feels like claiming.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Rumo(u)rs are bad, but to do QF, who knows what happens Thursday am Sydney time.

[Speculation blah blah]

Could it get worst?
What has any of this got to do with the OP's query?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:04 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Qantas Set to Axe Thousands of Jobs and Potentially Sell Its MEL Terminal

As the government and Qantas work on drafting legislation that would open up the airline to more foreign investments, rumors as to job cuts have been swirling around airline. A cut is very likely, but the exact number hasn't been confirmed by the struggling airline.

Qantas has begun sale negations when it comes to the long-term lease it holds on its Melbourne terminals. A sale could potentially raise up to $250 million.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/fed...-1226836427210
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
What has any of this got to do with the OP's query?
None - I used the RBP function earlier, suggest those posts be moved ... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...re-qantas.html
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:01 pm

Will QFF be hived off? That means no more or much harder to get cheaper award seats, etc, etc, etc...

Could it get worst?
In 2005, Air Canada hived off their Aeroplan frequent flier program to a private entity.

There followed many complaints about lack of redemptive ability and recognition of frequent traveller status.

This was causing so much pain that AC started up their mini Aeroplan to try and recapture some lost good will - called Altitude.

I agree that whatever happens tomorrow won't be great for QFF members-

they could cut international flying - bad enough now using QFF pts ( eg try to get 2 business class seats to New York ) but what will happen with fewer Qantas flights to travel on .

they could change QF metal flights to Jetstar domestically and reduce the number of business seats on offer as rewards not that you can get a J reward seat to / from Perth without a lot of searching and flexibility now.

Still , just 24 hours to see the fate of my QFF points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.