Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
The irony being that QF was not happy with the A330s for short domestic sectors compared to the 767s due to the turnaround time problems.

Personally I would have thought that a conversion of JQ 320s to QF colours could be good for QF, but then again, AJ still seems very attached to JQ. In fact the JQ fleet is very quickly catching up to QF sizing!
I didn't know that but for those of us who do remember the days of the inherited TN A300'S and how it took them forty minutes to turn them around.This is nothing new.I am a little surprised though to hear we are going back to the era before the A300 and later 767 existed domestically this time around though with 737-800's.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: QFF
Currently
QF1 arrive LHR 0620
QF9 arrive LHR 0510
QF2 depart LHR 2115
QF10 depart LHR 2215
Giving 2 aircraft ~16 hours on the ground

Using the old QF29/30 slots would give:
QF1 arrive LHR 0620
QF10 depart LHR 1220
QF9 arrive LHR 1330
QF2 depart LHR 2115
resulting in 1 aircraft at LHR for 6 hours and the second for 8 hours.

using those times for LHR would give:
QF9
MEL-DXB 0020-0745
DXB-LHR 0920-1330

QF10
LHR-DXB 1220-2315
DXB-MEL 0100-2140
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Himeno
Cusing those times for LHR would give:
QF9
MEL-DXB 0020-0745
DXB-LHR 0920-1330

QF10
LHR-DXB 1220-2315
DXB-MEL 0100-2140
If happy to give up the connections at the Australian end (ie no connections from 2140) that would actually make a lot of sense for connections from the wave of EK flights leaving Europe early afternoon, arriving into DXB before midnight. Currently they do not connect that well to MEL (ie connect to 0300 departure that goes via KUL), so this could be a real winner.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
If happy to give up the connections at the Australian end (ie no connections from 2140)
How did they handle connections in MEL with LHR-MEL (QF30) arrived at 8pm? Not many possible I-D connections available for an 8pm arrival either.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Himeno
How did they handle connections in MEL with LHR-MEL (QF30) arrived at 8pm? Not many possible I-D connections available for an 8pm arrival either.
They didn't I guess, which may be one reason for its failure. IIRC it connected in HKG to a SYD day-flight for at least some of the time it was operating.

I see the big difference between the this idea for QF10 and the original QF30 is the feed it could have from EK in DXB, probably making it enough to just service MEL without needing to send traffic on to other destinations.

(list of generally eastbound flights that arrive into DXB between 10pm and midnight on EK is huge, includes IKA, CDG, DUS, LED, GVA, HAM, ZRH, NCE, FRA, DAR, CPH, MUC, DME, FCO, VIE, JFK, TUN, GRU, KWI, NBO, ARN, WAW, ATH and if you pushed it back to 0130, you could also probably pick up arrivals between 0000 and 0030, including RUH, VCE, BHX, AMS, MAD, JED, DUB, NCL, CAI, MAN, GLA) At the moment MEL bound pax on these flights have to wait until 0300, then transit KUL enroute for a rather inhospitable 2 am arrival
Old Feb 28, 2014, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
They didn't I guess, which may be one reason for its failure. IIRC it connected in HKG to a SYD day-flight for at least some of the time it was operating.
QF29/30 also connected in HKG to BNE and PER flights, until those flights were retimed a few months before they dumped the LHR-HKG sector.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The obvious alternatives would be to move the departure from MEL until closer to midnight, or to move the departure from LHR to about lunchtime. But I can't see how doing something of both would easily work. So we could get a partial adoption of the old times.

I expect that in part this will depend on what else they can use the aircraft for using the 10-ish extra hours this will free up in every rotation. Unfortunately, I think the flights are just a fraction too long to allow the aircraft to rotate on the route every 48 hours.
You're assuming they keep the same aircraft for MEL-LHR and LHR-MEL, and SYD-LHR and LHR-SYD.

A later arrival of MEL-LHR and earlier departure for LHR-MEL could be combined with switching aircraft over at LHR. The aircraft that flew SYD-LHR then does LHR-MEL and the one that flew MEL-LHR then does LHR-SYD.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You're assuming they keep the same aircraft for MEL-LHR and LHR-MEL, and SYD-LHR and LHR-SYD.
Yes, sorry - lokijuh pointed out my error very quickly!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
For anyone who hasn't seen it on the news thread, mayodave posted this link to an SMH article:-
Originally Posted by mayodave
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
For anyone who hasn't seen it on the news thread, mayodave posted this link to an SMH article:-
The article loses an immediate 50% credibility since the image of the graph encompasses far more than AJ's years at the helm.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by serfty
The article loses an immediate 50% credibility since the image of the graph encompasses far more than AJ's years at the helm.
Ooh, that's a bit harsh.
You might equally say they were being selective if they hadn't shown the preceding years.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DH188
Ooh, that's a bit harsh.
You might equally say they were being selective if they hadn't shown the preceding years.
Oh ... there's more to it than that, see my post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...l#post22445683

(And consider the regular referral to Dixon in the article)
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
So? The article is about how Qantas has lost its way. Qantas losing its way predates Alan Joyce.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
My 5c here is that Qantas simply does not reward / look after its frequent flyers. Yes I know there are many here who completely (and aggressively) disagree but the occasional acknowledgement that I have travelled hundreds of thousands of miles with them would do wonders for my $$$ to go to them for my travel. As it stands I will go with anyone other than Qantas for my $$$ if I have the choice.

Qantas is way too rigid with their policies and therefore as a paying customer I don't feel like they really care about my custom unless it suits them...Their rivals have better luggage allowances on competing routes, offer better acknowledgement of frequent flyers and in many situations are cheaper....

Yes I also get that many US based airlines have gone under as they were way too generous with their upgrades / offerings but in this paying customers view, Qantas is too far the other way.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC

(And consider the regular referral to Dixon in the article)
I think it makes sense to include the GD years, especially as he was setting the airline up for PE. AJ was effectively the poison pill.

Perhaps those same PE stooges will make a 3rd attempt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.