Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow - Terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
I guess the web site is not explicit.

It states access to BA lounges ("terraces"/"Business") before BA flights.

It does not state NO access to BA Galleries lounges before BA flights.
Ahh, I see. It says access to "Executive Club lounge", when there is not actually anything called an "Executive club lounge". If they are stating such access when no such thing exists, then they may have a case to answer.

Although looking though the lounge locations there are three 'executive club lounges' scattered around the world.

Last edited by perthite; Oct 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
A very disappointing development. If, as stated, it was 'never a benefit' then how did they get it wrong for so long? QF has the right to do whatever it likes with QC and its benefits, and will always push as far as they can to save money. And equally, QC members have the right to say 'I don't like this', and let the membership lapse and fly with other airlines.

And it will surely come back and bite them on the bum at some stage should they keep 'enhancing' it this way (even now with this 'enhancement' I would not be surprised if they lose some memberships/custom).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BD1959
If this has always been the case, perhaps QF might like to explain why access was listed as a benefit back in 2010 when flying on BA out of T5 ....

9. Is airport lounge access available?
Lounge access is available to the following Qantas passengers:
- passengers travelling in business class
- passengers with an eligible oneworld status (in BA or oneworld carrier owned and
operated lounges)
- Qantas Club cardholders (in BA or oneworld carrier owned and operated lounges)

See Qantas and British Airways Codeshare Expansion FAQs.

Regards,

BD
Not to mention the fact that QF routinely sell tickets ex LHR (T5) to route passengers to Asia and Australia via FRA using BA for the first hop out of LHR.

This is very obviously a recent negative development. As mentioned many of us either use or have friends/family who have had access to BA lounges at T5 up until very recently. Lest we forget that many BA lounges across the globe are now Galleries too, so this in fact a rather major negative development.

I've ping'ed Red Roo, although based on our previous experience, I think we know s/he only comes on here when s/he wants to annouce something. I therefore don't have high hopes of him/her clarifying anything as QF obviously is not interested in properly getting involved in social media.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, NZ, MH, Hilton
Curious I did some more digging. I found this from 2008 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ss-hoo-ha.html
someone else had the same issue that I did.

... there is one way that access could legitimately be denied. The terms and conditions state that Qantas Club allows access to "British Airways lounges (Terraces and Executive Club lounges)". The cheat-sheet that Fraser linked to also refers to "Terraces/Executive Club Lounge". Perhaps BA could argue that "Galleries" lounges are not covered by the agreement.
Even back in 2008, QF/BA had the same sneaky wording to include certain lounges and exclude the Galleries lounge.

Imagine if it was the other way round and BA equivalents had access to QF lounges, except at SYD/MEL domestic.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I've ping'ed Red Roo, although based on our previous experience, I think we know s/he only comes on here when s/he wants to annouce something. I therefore don't have high hopes of him/her clarifying anything as QF obviously is not interested in properly getting involved in social media.
Actually, I disagree with this statement. Red Roo has demonstrated a strong willingness to participate in discussion on AFF, but for some reason I guess QF do not see the same return on discussion occurring here on FT.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
There is a similar thread on AFF with similar response and lack of response.
Give RedRoo some time - if this is an intended/unintended consequence am sure he/she will want to confirm things before commenting.

But I agree if this is true this is another massive negative for any QP members choosing to transit LHR with QF which is already a hard decision given the LHR transit.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by moa999
There is a similar thread on AFF with similar response and lack of response.
Give RedRoo some time - if this is an intended/unintended consequence am sure he/she will want to confirm things before commenting.

But I agree if this is true this is another massive negative for any QP members choosing to transit LHR with QF which is already a hard decision given the LHR transit.
I wouldn't hold my breath...
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by reubee
Curious I did some more digging. I found this from 2008 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ss-hoo-ha.html someone else had the same issue that I did.
Good spot.

Although this post also confirms that BA was officially allowing access at that time:-
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
The lounge system now checks the flight status, the volume of passengers in the lounges and the class or status of the passengers. It then states if there is a problem with access or confirms access. The problem with QF Club is that it is not a true card in the alliance, so QF assign it a QF Silver account which comes up in the system as Ruby. Staff need to overide it and allow access and the laminated guides on every access point tells them this.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I sent off an email to QF Customer care and an agent called me 10 minutes later ( something of a record I think).
Basically she said that QF only became aware of the problem when members started contacting them. They are now aware and QF Senior Management is talking with BA. They realise that the nomenclature of Lounges ( galleries/ terraces) is an issue and as soon as they have a resolution they will update the website.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: QF LH
I was declined access to the Southern lounge in T5 (that I'd been in 6 weeks earlier) on the 18th, the dragon waving around a laminated *do not allow* A4. Apparently the only one QClubbers get is T3, Qantas to Sydney. This could be awkward with the way they've played with the routing.

How I laughed, I'm paid up until 2014.

If anybody closer to home is pursuing this, please post.

AussiePete

I hasten to add that the lounge in Frankfurt still works.

Last edited by AussiePeter; Oct 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm Reason: addition
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I sent off an email to QF Customer care and an agent called me 10 minutes later ( something of a record I think).
Basically she said that QF only became aware of the problem when members started contacting them. They are now aware and QF Senior Management is talking with BA. They realise that the nomenclature of Lounges ( galleries/ terraces) is an issue and as soon as they have a resolution they will update the website.
Thanks for this. It also answers the question of whether QF monitors this web site with any degree of detail. I assume they do not since they would / could have made comment via Red Roo that they were working on a solution.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by og
Thanks for this. It also answers the question of whether QF monitors this web site with any degree of detail. I assume they do not since they would / could have made comment via Red Roo that they were working on a solution.
They haven't said anything on AFF either
What I think happened was:
BA decides to tighten up ( ie. remove) Lounge access for QP to its Galleries Lounges as some clever d!ck has noticed that its not in the QF T&C's
They don't tell QF and hope that they won't notice.
Members start to complain to QF and upon reading their own T&C's QF realize that strictly speaking BA is correct.
QF decide initially to tell everyone that BA is correct.
Many more people complain and QF decide if they don't do something the Qantas Club will be as useful as Lifetime Golden Wings
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
BA decides to tighten up ( ie. remove) Lounge access for QP to its Galleries Lounges as some clever d!ck has noticed that its not in the QF T&C's
It would not surprise me if by Clever Dick, you actuall mean An Auditor.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
What I think happened was:
They don't tell QF and hope that they won't notice.
Members start to complain to QF and upon reading their own T&C's QF realize that strictly speaking BA is correct.
QF decide initially to tell everyone that BA is correct.
Many more people complain and QF decide if they don't do something the Qantas Club will be as useful as Lifetime Golden Wings
I certainly hope your reading of the situation is incorrect - though I would obviously like the end result to be back to the previous service level.

Given the "strengthening of the JSA" which was promised by Mr Joyce as part of the "revamping" of the LHR services, regardless of the eventual outcome, this episode certainly does not bode well for that relationship/agreement going forward - whoever is responsible.

You'd have thought that, given the current climate at QF, their Management woiuld be doing all it could to proactively maintain the brand's reputation, particularly with those from whom they're looking to obtain discretionary spend.

Then again .... this "smells" more like ongoing devaluing of the QC service offering. It will be interesting to see the final spin given some of the nonsense to date about "previous T5 access rules".

Regards,
BD
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I'm sure it's been mentioned before here, but it came as a surprise to me that from end of the month BA Spain flights are switching to T5 (and Bucharest, Budapest, Larnaca, Prague & Warsaw are moving to T3). This may affect some QP cardholders more than others...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.