Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

no compensation at all for lost luggage when traveling in WHY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no compensation at all for lost luggage when traveling in WHY?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I had many instances with airlines who refused to pay compensation when bags were delayed on the way to the home airport. And home airport being defined as the final airport on the ticket. Not just QF or LH. This is rather common.

However, in the OPs case QF lost the bags just sometime during the itinerary for a period of more than 24 hours. So in this case QF should cover some of the expenses incurred by the travel companion of the OP. No matter what the FF status or class of travel.

Weero, I would keep pushing and threaten them with the CTTT if other approaches fail.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I had many instances with airlines who refused to pay compensation when bags were delayed on the way to the home airport. And home airport being defined as the final airport on the ticket. Not just QF or LH. This is rather common.

However, in the OPs case QF lost the bags just sometime during the itinerary for a period of more than 24 hours. So in this case QF should cover some of the expenses incurred by the travel companion of the OP. No matter what the FF status or class of travel.

Weero, I would keep pushing and threaten them with the CTTT if other approaches fail.
generally any Carrier will allow a $50 US max, if the OPs friend put in for alot more I would have thought QF would have offered the $50 or whatever their max is

Now thats when they give you the OK to purchase things, just doing it on your own w/o 1st having gotten the OK can release a Carrier from even the $50 or whatever QFs max is
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I had luggage delays fairly often and I was never told to only spend $50. And airlines usually reimbursed me for whatever cost I had which were usually a lot higher than $50. This included UA, AC, SQ, LH, BA and others

Is the $50 out of some Australian law or IATA regulation or some other international treaty?

QF is responsible for the delayed bag so they need to cover reasonable cost.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
duplicate

Last edited by serfty; Feb 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I am not aware of any EU legislation which requires compensation for delayed luggage
This is not required if the member country you are landing in provides it.
Most EU countries are signatories to the "Montreal" agreement as well as is Australia.

This provides for base compensation of up to XDR1000 per passenger for lost/damaged luggage on international itineraries.

I am not aware of any EU country that individually regulates for greater compensation in cases like this.

We tried to at the airport at no avail other than offering us toothbrushes.
How (pleasantly) persistent were you.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pleb Status

QF blamed AA and AA blamed QF. Received nothing but excuses from either party. So you need not be travelling in Y to be treated poorly by QF/AA.
It may have been convenient for QF to say so, but when I had a bag go missing PER - JNB last week, QF told me that it was the respnsbility of the carrier whose tail was on the last leg you flew (i.e just before the bag went missing).

QF once offered me a $400 restaurant voucher for bags that went missing on the way to the US (took 2 days to turn up), but that was a few weeks later, and after I complained.

In terms of compensation to replace things in the meantime, I guess you need a decent insurance policy. My work policy is outstanding, but most publicl available ones are pretty average.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I must have missed where the insurance was mentioned. Where did you state whether he had travel insurance, since I cannot see it in your posts above?
Nor can I anymore - he doesn't want his insurance for something which is entirely and undoubtedly QF's fault.
Which countries in the EU have specific rules requiring additional payments for delayed luggage
I am certain that Switzerland (Europe, not EU) and the UK do. Assuming a certain coherence of the interpretation of the law, all signatories of the Montreal convention will implement it.
Also, it is unclear... did they meet reasonable receipted expenses but refuse compensation beyond that or did they refuse to pay anything to the passenger
Oh I see! Ok: they refused to pay or provide anything at the airport, upon leaving Oz, and now answering his claims.
What expenses did he incur that were refused? Was it $100 for necessities or was it a substantial amount such as $500?
It was less than 100 AUD. This is why it is more of a battle of principles.
What exactly was requested from Qantas and what was requested ( if any ) from any travel insurance?
Reimbursement of the necessary and unavoidable expenses from QF, nada from the insurance.
Originally Posted by thadocta
You can hardly call Dave Noble a "QF lover", he is one of the posters who appears to be the most anti-QF. But he is right in this case (but often he is not, but this time he is).

Dave
I did not call him that. This was a generic remark, even though here, he assumes the roles of the "QF defender":
It is beginning to sound like the request was for payments beyond that which was reasonably incurred
In what point he is right? That QF doesn't pay delayed luggage compensation? Not my experience in the past. That there is no legal requirement for them to do so? That is well possible for Oz .. we will have to find out for SIN where we bought the ticket.
Originally Posted by craz
generally any Carrier will allow a $50 US max, if the OPs friend put in for alot more I would have thought QF would have offered the $50 or whatever their max is

Now thats when they give you the OK to purchase things, just doing it on your own w/o 1st having gotten the OK can release a Carrier from even the $50 or whatever QFs max is
I have never heard of or seen or encountered a $50 rule. The minimum ever offered to me - prior to zero - was the stated $100.

I don't think that the opinion of an airport employee matters in any way here. If the carrier has rules, then these will hold. And of the country where the ticket is purchased or the luggage is not delivered has higher requirements, then those overrule everything else.
Originally Posted by serfty
Most EU countries are signatories to the "Montreal" agreement as well as is Australia.

This provides for base compensation of up to XDR1000 per passenger for lost/damaged luggage on international itineraries.

I am not aware of any EU country that individually regulates for greater compensation in cases like this.
None will provide more. Montreal mainly covers permanently lost luggage. And only mentions delayed luggage.

I'd be happy with 1K XDRs .
How (pleasantly) persistent were you.
Not very. When the witch at the desk refused immediate compensation, all we did is to request the contact where to file for compensation. Then another brief request upon leaving Oz.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Insurance tends to have a good payout option with no excess ( ime ) for delayed luggage. Just claim off of the insurance and let them claim off of QF if they think it is worth it.

If he has insurance, just use it; if paid for , take the easy option
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by weero
Nor can I anymore - he doesn't want his insurance for something which is entirely and undoubtedly QF's fault.
If he does have insurance (does he have it? You never did say if he had it or not, merely that he 'doesn't want it'), then I suggest taking the pragmatic view and claim on the insurance. A lot of the time the insurance company will then pursue the carrier in question, so your friend gets what he wants in all respects.

Having said that, I am still a bit surprised that QF declined to pay anything, as long as all the facts of the case have been presented to us and there is no factor involved that complicates the matter, for instance his stuff that he needed was in one of your bags that did not turn up on time, or that his bags were all tagged to your, etc.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If he does have insurance (does he have it? You never did say if he had it or not, merely that he 'doesn't want it'), then I suggest taking the pragmatic view and claim on the insurance. A lot of the time the insurance company will then pursue the carrier in question, so your friend gets what he wants in all respects.
As Dave Noble pointed out as an issue - the insurance comes with no claim bonus. So touching it for petty charges is an unwise thing to do.
Having said that, I am still a bit surprised that QF declined to pay anything, as long as all the facts of the case have been presented to us and there is no factor involved that complicates the matter, for instance his stuff that he needed was in one of your bags that did not turn up on time, or that his bags were all tagged to your, etc.
It wasn't ... but even if it was, how would QF know? My bags were checked under my name, his under his.

For the other factors, I don't fly QF enough anymore to judge if they see it differently. Maybe, as we flew on to MEL and PER, they did not see it as the 'destination'. But even if they did, this is not what they wrote. All that QF CS wrote is that they "cannot do more than apologize". Which is of course a very, very terse explanation.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:29 pm

As Dave Noble pointed out as an issue - the insurance comes with no claim bonus. So touching it for petty charges is an unwise thing to do.
Actually I said the opposite. The delayed baggage allowance is a part of the insurance policy which I have found to NOT have any excess to pay.

It wasn't ... but even if it was, how would QF know? My bags were checked under my name, his under his.
This makes all the difference as to his being declined, He did not have any bags checked in, you did and so very unsurprising that they declined to pay out to him. Any claim for delayed luggage would have had to be made by you

Dave
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Actually I said the opposite. The delayed baggage allowance is a part of the insurance policy which I have found to NOT have any excess to pay.
But you asked. And due to the excess we won't ask the insurance.
This makes all the difference as to his being declined, He did not have any bags checked in, you did and so very unsurprising that they declined to pay out to him. Any claim for delayed luggage would have had to be made by you ..
I cannot follow you here.

Other than being on a single reservation, there is noting in common. He checked in independently, and received luggage stubs independently from me. I checked in much later ... the separation could not have been any bigger.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
You mention "no claim bonus" here but in another you mentioned "excess". Is it both reasons or one or the other?

My delayed baggage cover does not have any excess, and there is no "no claim bonus" element - I have not come across a travel insurance policy with "no claim bonus" yet, although many motor insurances and some household insurances do. I still recommend you get your friend to check his insurance policy to see what he is covered for, because under many policies even if there are "no claims bonus" issues there is no penalty if you are not at fault in any way, and since it is no fault of your own for an airline to lose your bag, it may be exempted.

In any case I suggest your friend writes back to QF to say that it was not acceptable to be just offered an apology and to ask that the expenses are reimbursed. Note, you should not be asking for compensations - what you should be asking for are reimbursement of expenses incurred as a result of baggage delay.

Is there any possibility that your friend actually asked for compensation rather than reimbursement? I am asking this since you used the term compensation in your post. They are two very different things.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You mention "no claim bonus" here but in another you mentioned "excess". Is it both reasons or one or the other?
I am aware of the difference and believe that is comes fraught with both but I don't know the details. He simply told me that touching the insurance would be unwise for the petty amount.
My delayed baggage cover does not have any excess, and there is no "no claim bonus" element - I have not come across a travel insurance policy with "no claim bonus" yet..
Mine has excess but no official no claim bonus. But colleagues who had claims got worse quotes than mine from the same insurance. So I use it reluctantly too.
..there is no penalty if you are not at fault in any way, and since it is no fault of your own for an airline to lose your bag, it may be exempted.
This is indeed cultural phenomenon. In Europe car insurances never go up if you are not at fault but in Asia, there incident counts. I had to get used to that.
In any case I suggest your friend writes back to QF to say that it was not acceptable to be just offered an apology and to ask that the expenses are reimbursed.
Already done .
Note, you should not be asking for compensations - what you should be asking for are reimbursement of expenses incurred as a result of baggage delay.

Is there any possibility that your friend actually asked for compensation rather than reimbursement? I am asking this since you used the term compensation in your post. They are two very different things.
I see your point but never thought about it in the past. I always used the terms nearly interchangeably. And on airlines for which I hold status, I found it more successful to negotiate compensation rather than reimbursement. The travel vouchers are generally worth nearly double the value of the reimbursement.

So thanks for the insight!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:03 pm

But you asked. And due to the excess we won't ask the insurance.
Is there definitely an excess to pay on delayed luggage since that seems surprising to me

I cannot follow you here.

Other than being on a single reservation, there is noting in common. He checked in independently, and received luggage stubs independently from me. I checked in much later ... the separation could not have been any bigger.
I misread the post and thought all bags were under 1 name

If it is worth spending time on it for $50, get him to write back requesting reimbursement of the expenses incurred; as suggested by LTN, avoid using term compensation since that can imply wanting payments other than reimbursement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.