Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: JFK-BKK $2409 RT Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: JFK-BKK $2409 RT Business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AS 75k
Originally Posted by Zeeww
if you’re referring to the BKK fare, I think they are gone?

I don’t think you could do Tues and returning Thurs, even Friday could be a stretch.

BKK is gone, the base fare is up according to expert flyer. But HAN and CGK still are alive
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm really interested in this fare, but unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time to take advantage of this fare. Is there a minimum stay requirement? Is there any way for me to fly out of NYC on Tuesday and fly back to NYC by Friday afternoon? It'll be great if I can even fly back on a Thursday. I don't care if I go to BKK or KUL
BKK fare is no longer available, only HAN, and CGK.

If you leave Tuesday morning, you would arrive there Wednesday night, then you'd have to fly back Thursday morning in order to come back Thursday night.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by barabbas90
BKK is gone, the base fare is up according to expert flyer. But HAN and CGK still are alive
Originally Posted by night718
BKK fare is no longer available, only HAN, and CGK.

If you leave Tuesday morning, you would arrive there Wednesday night, then you'd have to fly back Thursday morning in order to come back Thursday night.
Is it possible to construct this fare so that I'll be back in New York by Friday at the latest? I can go to HAN or CGK.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:50 am

Is it possible to construct this fare so that I'll be back in New York by Friday at the latest? I can go to HAN or CGK.
Leave Friday morning and you'll arrive back Friday night.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leave Friday morning and you'll arrive back Friday night.
Link to a sample fare?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:57 am

Link to a sample fare?
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...hjHDj28mBxj6q6
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Just came back from this trip, managed to book the AA transcons JFK-SFO-NRT-CGK and back. A few noticings/wonderings:
1) For the past couple months, from what I can see, JAL's entire schedule has been running late due to the Japan Quarantine regulations that allow transit pax to travel without any testing or visa, BUT airlines are not allowed to leave ANYONE overnight at NRT or HND. So.... if even one of the N. America-NRT flights (JFK, ORD, LAX, DFW, SAN, SEA, SFO, YVR) are late, then the Asian connections are not allowed to leave until the last pax have boarded from those late flights. Example: On SFO-NRT we were delayed 2 hours, which had me sweating.... until we got to NRT and I saw that SAN-NRT was FOUR hours late and so we would be delayed.... almost 4 hours. Return left 90 min late and I missed my AA transcon (had given 1:45 to connect at SFO which is tight but legal-- the next transcon is 9 hours later-- and as someone who lived in Japan for 6 years, I wrongly assumed JAL would be on time like they always used to be!).
2) I found it super hard to find AA transcons on this AA fare. Is it hard to find transcons because AA doesn't offer much R class availability? When booking this, LAX transcons would show up on AA.com and always error out. SFO worked but just for these days and these flights. Ended up doing an overnight in SFO and staying with old friends, then heading to SFO airport for the 13:30 departure which was already delayed. I didn't even think to check because it's JAL, right?
3) I had a $800 travel credit from pandemic times so needed to book via AA.
4) AMEX IAP $300 is only for the regular AMEX Plat? I have AMEX Delta Reserve, Bonvoy, and HHonors but can't see the offer.
5) JAL SFO lounge is ghastly. One super nice benefit to the flight being 2H late was getting to use the beautiful BA Galleries Lounge at SFO for an hour before boarding. If JAL leaves on time, it's not open yet.
6) Paid $300 to upgrade from Biz to First on AA Transcon JFK-SFO. What a great experience the Flagship First Dining is! Fantastic food, service, and atmosphere. And while the flight was mostly full, First was 4/10 so service was lovely. Onboard food was fine but not up to par with the FFD.
7) JAL's CGK lounge is the Garuda Indonesia (flagship carrier at CGK) lounge and... also blah, not worth your time other than for a quick coffee. Highlight was the staff catching a screeching bat (!) in the lounge.
8) Yes Bali is nice but Indonesia has 9,000 (more?) islands. Did a 4-day visit to Komodo Island national park and did a 3-day boat trip around the islands! Absolutely amazing. PM me for details.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm seeing $2600ish on AA. I'm assuming once I plug in the itinerary into AMEX, I'll get it down to about $2400? Can you explain why you included BOS? Is there a way to stretch this out even more to increase my TPs for the same price? I just checked and sadly, I can't return on Thursday as the price skyrockets. I think there is a minimum stay requirement.

Thank you!
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Just came back from this trip, managed to book the AA transcons JFK-SFO-NRT-CGK and back. A few noticings/wonderings:
1) For the past couple months, from what I can see, JAL's entire schedule has been running late due to the Japan Quarantine regulations that allow transit pax to travel without any testing or visa, BUT airlines are not allowed to leave ANYONE overnight at NRT or HND. So.... if even one of the N. America-NRT flights (JFK, ORD, LAX, DFW, SAN, SEA, SFO, YVR) are late, then the Asian connections are not allowed to leave until the last pax have boarded from those late flights. Example: On SFO-NRT we were delayed 2 hours, which had me sweating.... until we got to NRT and I saw that SAN-NRT was FOUR hours late and so we would be delayed.... almost 4 hours. Return left 90 min late and I missed my AA transcon (had given 1:45 to connect at SFO which is tight but legal-- the next transcon is 9 hours later-- and as someone who lived in Japan for 6 years, I wrongly assumed JAL would be on time like they always used to be!).
2) I found it super hard to find AA transcons on this AA fare. Is it hard to find transcons because AA doesn't offer much R class availability? When booking this, LAX transcons would show up on AA.com and always error out. SFO worked but just for these days and these flights. Ended up doing an overnight in SFO and staying with old friends, then heading to SFO airport for the 13:30 departure which was already delayed. I didn't even think to check because it's JAL, right?
3) I had a $800 travel credit from pandemic times so needed to book via AA.
4) AMEX IAP $300 is only for the regular AMEX Plat? I have AMEX Delta Reserve, Bonvoy, and HHonors but can't see the offer.
5) JAL SFO lounge is ghastly. One super nice benefit to the flight being 2H late was getting to use the beautiful BA Galleries Lounge at SFO for an hour before boarding. If JAL leaves on time, it's not open yet.
6) Paid $300 to upgrade from Biz to First on AA Transcon JFK-SFO. What a great experience the Flagship First Dining is! Fantastic food, service, and atmosphere. And while the flight was mostly full, First was 4/10 so service was lovely. Onboard food was fine but not up to par with the FFD.
7) JAL's CGK lounge is the Garuda Indonesia (flagship carrier at CGK) lounge and... also blah, not worth your time other than for a quick coffee. Highlight was the staff catching a screeching bat (!) in the lounge.
8) Yes Bali is nice but Indonesia has 9,000 (more?) islands. Did a 4-day visit to Komodo Island national park and did a 3-day boat trip around the islands! Amazing. PM me for details.
I'm reading that HND allows overnight layover, but a max of 24 hours.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:22 am

I'm seeing $2600ish on AA. I'm assuming once I plug in the itinerary into AMEX, I'll get it down to about $2400? Can you explain why you included BOS? Is there a way to stretch this out even more to increase my TPs for the same price? I just checked and sadly, I can't return on Thursday as the price skyrockets. I think there is a minimum stay requirement.

Thank you!
I chose BOS just as an example. You can find more options here https://www.google.com/travel/flight...Q&tfu=EgQIARAB

Amex IAP may or may not have any discounts. I bought my tickets 3 weeks ago when it was ~$2550 and Amex IAP ~$2050.
GUWonder and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I chose BOS just as an example. You can find more options here https://www.google.com/travel/flight...Q&tfu=EgQIARAB

Amex IAP may or may not have any discounts. I bought my tickets 3 weeks ago when it was ~$2550 and Amex IAP ~$2050.
Did you add a transcon to your trip? Based on a quick read of this thread, I feel your itinerary can be enhanced further to increase my TPs for the same price.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:52 am

Did you add a transcon to your trip? Based on a quick read of this thread, I feel your itinerary can be enhanced further to increase my TPs for the same price.
Nope, JFK-BOS-NRT-CGK. I'm traveling for vacation.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, JFK-BOS-NRT-CGK. I'm traveling for vacation.
I'm looking to increase my TPs earnings. Anyone here able to tell me how to add a transcon would be greatly appreciated!
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I'm looking to increase my TPs earnings. Anyone here able to tell me how to add a transcon would be greatly appreciated!
I did NOT use Amex IAP because I needed to book via Aa.com, so I can't help there.
But using Google Flights I was able to use "multi city" function and had 4 segments:
JFK-SFO/LAX
SFO/LAX- CGK
CGK-SFO/LAX
LAX/SFO-JFK

If you specify JFK then you get mostly AA transcons, but most of the times I would choose flights on AA.com and it would error out (maybe married segments or something?) But I was successful getting it to price out and ticket with SFO connections.
Please read my above post for more info.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Ping me a PM - I am a uk based TA and i can make a nice TP run out of this for you ;-) (believe me or not I have managed to book this as JFK-LAX-BOS-NRT-BKK before!
kyushuman, Global321 and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.