Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:17 am

Great!! Lets meet up in panama. Will PM details

Originally Posted by AAmerican
I'll be in PTY the night of the 28th and day of the 29th
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, DL Plat, VX Gold, SPG Plat75, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PresCrcle
Smile Meet Up?

After years of lurking without an account, I took the long overdue step of signing up for FT awhile back, and now, my first post. Figure this is as good an opportunity as any to make an effort to meet up with the like minded travel-centric set, right?

I'm doing a couple of overnights on the way out in NY and Miami, and game to hang either on the ground or in-flight as follows...

F 3/4
AA16 SFO-JFK 1235p-907p (might shoot for a same day change to the morning flight)
Sa 3/5
AA942 JFK-MIA 1120a-231p
Su 3/6
AA1021 MIA-PTY 945a-1253p

[3/6-7 in Panama swatting mosquitoes in a Zika panic]

Tu 3/8
AA960 PTY-MIA 7a-1003a
AA64 MIA-JFK 1235-327p
AA177 JFK-SFO 630p-1007p

I may or may not have hosted a travel show for a major cable news network (among many others), and make for a terribly interesting (if apparently immodest lol) lounge/seat-mate...and have Admirals Club and Centurion access fwiw. *End sales pitch*

All aboard and thanks to all the contributors on here for their years of making my travel life a better one!

^
-A
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by OnPlanes
After years of lurking without an account, I took the long overdue step of signing up for FT awhile back, and now, my first post. Figure this is as good an opportunity as any to make an effort to meet up with the like minded travel-centric set, right?

I'm doing a couple of overnights on the way out in NY and Miami, and game to hang either on the ground or in-flight as follows...

F 3/4
AA16 SFO-JFK 1235p-907p (might shoot for a same day change to the morning flight)
Sa 3/5
AA942 JFK-MIA 1120a-231p
Su 3/6

Tu 3/8
AA960 PTY-MIA 7a-1003a
AA64 MIA-JFK 1235-327p
AA177 JFK-SFO 630p-1007p

I may or may not have hosted a travel show for a major cable news network (among many others), and make for a terribly interesting (if apparently immodest lol) lounge/seat-mate...and have Admirals Club and Centurion access fwiw. *End sales pitch*

All aboard and thanks to all the contributors on here for their years of making my travel life a better one!

^
-A
Looks like we will cross paths in the air. I'm doing 3/7-3/9.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA 2MM EXPL, DL 2MM GLD, Hilton DMD, Starwood GLD, Marriott
Working on Flights Need Assistance

I am a newbie to this thread, but not to travel. I actually want to take advantage of this reasonable fare on an itinerary that takes me to Lima, Peru. I used ITA to get a fare PHX to DFW to PTY of around $787 a person R/T. What I am not able to do is get the JFK leg which would boost the miles a bit. I would appreciate it someone could direct me how to use the ITA site to get an additional leg in. I also might actually use the LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY routing at least on the way out, but I would likely need to overnight in LAX. Again, I could not get the ITA site to generate the extra leg. My dates are out 5/19 or 5/20 and back 5/30. Thanks for any guidance! I appreciate everyone's passion about these opportunities.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by AZAAEXPL
I am a newbie to this thread, but not to travel. I actually want to take advantage of this reasonable fare on an itinerary that takes me to Lima, Peru. I used ITA to get a fare PHX to DFW to PTY of around $787 a person R/T. What I am not able to do is get the JFK leg which would boost the miles a bit. I would appreciate it someone could direct me how to use the ITA site to get an additional leg in. I also might actually use the LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY routing at least on the way out, but I would likely need to overnight in LAX. Again, I could not get the ITA site to generate the extra leg. My dates are out 5/19 or 5/20 and back 5/30. Thanks for any guidance! I appreciate everyone's passion about these opportunities.
In the advanced routing line, put in "JFK MIA". It'll show routing that have layovers in JFK and then in MIA.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by techg33k
Thats cool.. will PM you with details
Haven't received any PM yet. But I am definitely on your exact itin.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:08 pm

Just left a PM at your inbox

Originally Posted by hiima
Haven't received any PM yet. But I am definitely on your exact itin.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:10 am

Looks like the fare at around 826 and up for two days. I am trying to get April 10-13 to book but having no luck from LAX -JFK-MIA-PTY and return . The issue is the return wont go to JFK. I guess it be a little less miles if I go to ORD? If you can help. Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by JJsnyder
Looks like the fare at around 826 and up for two days. I am trying to get April 10-13 to book but having no luck from LAX -JFK-MIA-PTY and return . The issue is the return wont go to JFK. I guess it be a little less miles if I go to ORD? If you can help. Thanks
I see it pricing out about $100 higher if you want to route PTY-MIA-JFK-LAX on the return for those dates rather than PTY-MIA-LAX
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OnPlanes

F 3/4
Sa 3/5
AA942 JFK-MIA 1120a-231p
Su 3/6

Tu 3/8
AA960 PTY-MIA 7a-1003a
AA64 MIA-JFK 1235-327p
AA177 JFK-SFO 630p-1007p

^
-A
Been eyeing ex-SFO flights to take. Just got my renewed passport back and dying to take a trip Alas this is pricing high cause I can't snag I class on the SFO-JFK legs on those dates.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by thekevstir
I see it pricing out about $100 higher if you want to route PTY-MIA-JFK-LAX on the return for those dates rather than PTY-MIA-LAX
Thanks. What site would use as stil having issue can't get this come up on AA dates April 11-14. Price 867. Check matrix a few times.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JJsnyder
Thanks. What site would use as stil having issue can't get this come up on AA dates April 11-14. Price 867. Check matrix a few times.

Try hipmunk.com, it uses the same logic as matrix (you can add layovers manually into the search)
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:27 pm

Fare gone?

I'm returning from PTY Sunday 2/21 on the 4:40 pm flight and just noticed that all the AA J fares for the LAX-MIA-PTY RT are now running about $1400 on Google Flights. Anyone find anything recently in the $700 range?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by joetraveler99
I'm returning from PTY Sunday 2/21 on the 4:40 pm flight and just noticed that all the AA J fares for the LAX-MIA-PTY RT are now running about $1400 on Google Flights. Anyone find anything recently in the $700 range?
I don't see much lower either. Matrix shows 842 but can't get it to book on any site. 2 day trip in April When I go to AA its around your price. Is this deal over for now?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Try hipmunk.com, it uses the same logic as matrix (you can add layovers manually into the search)
No go when I tried tonight. When I go to book AA fare close to 1400. April 11-13. LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.