Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
See this UK government announcements
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/additional-airline-security-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

Flights affected
This will apply to inbound flights (all operators) to the UK from the following locations:

Turkey
Lebanon
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Tunisia

Devices affected
Under the new arrangements, phones, laptops and tablets larger than:

length: 16.0 cm
width: 9.3 cm
depth: 1.5 cm

will not be allowed in the cabin on selected flights to the UK from the countries affected. Most smart phones fall within these limits and will continue to be allowed on board. However, devices larger than these dimensions may not be carried in the cabin and therefore much be placed in checked bags.

(By way of comparison, iPad Mini = 20.32 x 13.48 x 0.61cm. Amazon Kindle = 16.0 x 11.5 x 0.91 cm)
Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MHendo84
So the UK changes only relates to phones, laptops & tablets, but the US includes all personal electronic devices?
Add ereaders, then indeed: https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...ectrical-items

Originally Posted by Gov.UK
Inbound flights to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia, and Saudi Arabia
You must put all phones, tablets or laptops in your hold luggage if they are larger than:

16cm in length
9.3cm in width
1.5cm in depth (or thickness)
For example, you can take an iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG G3 or Sony Xperia Z2 as hand luggage.

This also applies to:

any items you buy at duty free in the airport
connecting flights via these countries, even if your journey started elsewhere

You can still bring hairdryers, straighteners, travel irons, electrical shavers and e-cigarettes as hand luggage.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The U.K. ban notices do call out ereaders as being blacklisted.

Here's a place to find an indication of just this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ghts-to-the-uk
Yet https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...ectrical-items does not list e-readers. Gotta love the consistency of the information UK gov is putting out there.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by techie
UK ban doesn't call out e-readers. And while there are differences between an e-reader and a tablet, I wouldn't hold my breath that many airport staff would know the distinctions and allow you to bring it onboard.
I think the majority of eReaders will be banned because of the size restrictions. Remember, we'll only be permitted devices that are 16.0 x 9.3 x 1.5 cm. An iPhone 7+ measures 15.82 x 7.79 x 0.73 cm and a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge comes in at 14.24 x 6.96 x 0.79 cm.

I think that any device larger than a cell phone will be banned. What other choice will the airlines have?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:25 pm

Does anyone know if this applies to transit flights also?
Namely, if I originate from one of those 6 countries, transit in another EU airport, with the final destination being the UK, would I have to check my laptop as well?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I think the majority of eReaders will be banned because of the size restrictions. Remember, we'll only be permitted devices that are 16.0 x 9.3 x 1.5 cm. An iPhone 7+ measures 15.82 x 7.79 x 0.73 cm and a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge comes in at 14.24 x 6.96 x 0.79 cm.

I think that any device larger than a cell phone will be banned. What other choice will the airlines have?
The UK size restriction only applies to electronics that exceed the stipulated dimensions if those electronics are phones/smartphones, laptops, tablets or ereaders. A portable boombox over the dimensions are still allowed under the UK "ban". The airlines are free to have their own restrictions in this regard exceed the UK mentioned ones.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hkgg
Does anyone know if this applies to transit flights also?
Namely, if I originate from one of those 6 countries, transit in another EU airport, with the final destination being the UK, would I have to check my laptop as well?
I know it doesn't apply in the kind of scenario you mentioned in your second question above. But let's see how long it takes other EU countries to jump on this bandwagon.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
What happens to devices which you don't check? Will they gate check it or confiscate it?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Worcester
What happens to devices which you don't check? Will they gate check it or confiscate it?
Gate check will almost certainly be the norm for those discovered at the gate screenings, but I wouldn't rule out there being instances of such items being confiscated/detained (even stolen by way of fraud) at the checks for the US-bound flights.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:37 am

<deleted>

And I'm sure they will allow gate checking <deleted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 1:32 pm Reason: Not Practical TSS Advice/Information
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Easyjet has become the first airline to implement the ban starting today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39352133
From Wednesday, passengers on Easyjet flights from Turkey and Egypt to the UK must put large electronic devices, including e-readers, in the hold.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Laptop ban in the cabin - how will this be enforced ?

Just a thought that popped into my head. How will this be enforced ?

So scenario is i have hand luggage only and printed my own boarding card. I go through security and make my way to the gate. Are the gate staff going to ask for each piece of hand luggage to opened to check? Boarding would be [more of] a nightmare and take forever to board a wide-body aircraft.

<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:48 pm Reason: Policy Debate; not Practical Travel Safety/Security advice/information
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
Just a thought that popped into my head. How will this be enforced ?

So scenario is i have hand luggage only and printed my own boarding card. I go through security and make my way to the gate. Are the gate staff going to ask for each piece of hand luggage to opened to check. Boarding would be [more of] nightmare and take forever to board a plane wide-body.

<deleted>
I suspect there will be secondary screening at the gate, like there is in some places already. So scanners at the gate. So no voluntary compliance and in your scenario you would either give up your device to be hold loaded, or you leave it behind, or you don't fly.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:48 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Most likely hand luggage search on / just before the jetbridge
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by justatourist
<deleted>

And I'm sure they will allow gate checking <deleted>.
Why would they have the option of gate-checking? I'm assuming the prohibited items will be flagged at security before they ever get to the gate.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 1:33 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by chollie
Why would they have the option of gate-checking? I'm assuming the prohibited items will be flagged at security before they ever get to the gate.
Doesn't this ban on laptops imply that security in these airports is somewhat lax, in which case how can they suddenly be trusted to comply with this ban, if they aren't good enough to comply with regular screening procedures?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.