Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:28 pm

Although I have used a GE ID without incident in ATL, PHL, GSO and MCO, when I presented it in RDU the TDC said it wasn't "authorized" and asked for another ID. I asked for a supervisor, and the STSO came over and repeated that it was not authorized. I explained what it was and asked him to check his website and SOP. He refused, and came up with such gems as "It's not US Government issued." "We don't participate in that program, that's just for customs." "It may be authorized in Atlanta but we don't participate in the program, it's not authorized here." Both the TDC and STSO had the usual (high) level of authoritarian rude for RDU, and when I commented that this was emblematic of why RDU had a nationwide reputation for rudeness and arbitrary behavior, he threatened to have me "removed from the airport." Great bunch of guys, they are. The STSO was in explain and sustain mode before he even knew what the issue was.

This confirmed my thoughts that the problems at RDU come from the top.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:00 pm
Suspended

send a letter addressed to the FSD in that area
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by OxonCantab
send a letter addressed to the FSD in that area
Unfortunately, he is probably part of the problem, but the letter is going out (with names), anyway. There seems to be some consistency to bad behavior (and non-recognition of GE ID's) by RDU TSA. http://tsastatus.net/search.php?q=RDU
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
12/27, C67 gate(I think), the TDC and the supervisor refused to let me use the GE card. When I questioned the supervisor, he told me that the trusted traveler was a "new program" that they don't have yet.

He actually tracked me down in the gate area(not too tough there) and asked me about it again. I tried to show him the website, but he was uninterested in changing his mind, and went on about how Pre Check wasn't available at MCI yet, but sometime down the road.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold
TSA ID Check at DL Terminal in LGA did not accept the GE Card. Asked me if I had a driver's license because "We Don't Use This Program here."

I didn't try to fight it because I had a flight to catch.

He seemed to know what the card was, including putting it under the light, but then didn't accept it.

Gotta love inconsistency.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Mega Boris
TSA ID Check at DL Terminal in LGA did not accept the GE Card. Asked me if I had a driver's license because "We Don't Use This Program here."

I didn't try to fight it because I had a flight to catch.

He seemed to know what the card was, including putting it under the light, but then didn't accept it.

Gotta love inconsistency.
Sounds like he doesn't understand the difference between the GE as government-issued acceptable ID and GE as possible entry to a TT lane.

A GE card doesn't currently allow entry to a TT lane, even at the airports that have the program - only the correct information on the BP allows this.

Another untrained or poorly trained TSO. The trainer should be disciplined.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
what's the point?

So, a lot of you have gotten mixed results. Overall, it appears there is an increased risk of decreased efficiency when using this card. So, what's the point? Why not just use your driver's license? Suppose we get to the point where they are accepted everywhere. Is there any benefit to using the GE card over your driver's license? Or is it just the novelty of flashing the card?

Maybe at some point there will be expedited security for "trusted" passengers? But until then, I just don't see the purpose of using it.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Maybe at some point there will be expedited security for "trusted" passengers?
But until then, I just don't see the purpose of using it.
Well, just to see if/how well it works !
And if I wasted $15.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
So, a lot of you have gotten mixed results. Overall, it appears there is an increased risk of decreased efficiency when using this card. So, what's the point? Why not just use your driver's license? Suppose we get to the point where they are accepted everywhere. Is there any benefit to using the GE card over your driver's license? Or is it just the novelty of flashing the card?

Maybe at some point there will be expedited security for "trusted" passengers? But until then, I just don't see the purpose of using it.
A) Trusted Traveler security is already happening:

Atlanta: T-South Checkpoint (Delta only)
Dallas: Terminal C, Checkpoint C30 (American only)
Detroit: Checkpoint 2 on the ticketing level (Delta only)
Miami: D2 Checkpoint (American only)
Las Vegas: D Gates First Class Checkpoint (American and Delta)

B) I do not like the clerk being able to see information that is not relevant to their job, which is matching my name to my BP.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
A Bit of Personal Security, I Suppose

Can't speak for everyone, but my reason for getting is was to have a TSA-accepted ID that was more portable than my passport and that did not have my address on it. Sorry, but I just don't trust the TSOs at my home airport enough to share my address as I'm on my way out of town. A passport card serves the same purpose, but since I was already a GE member, the $15 fee for the card seemed reasonable.

Now, I'm sure an industrious TSO could remember my name, google me and find out my address, but I just don't think industrious when I think of TSOs. I view it a bit like locking my car doors. It will deter the casual thief walking by checking for open doors and an easy score. Probably wouldn't deter the determined car thief with a slim jim.

Now that I have it, I confess to a bit of hardheadedness about making them follow their own rules. The security issue really only applies at my home airport. At other airports, it's more about the rules. Now, I have not had any of the nastiness that folks have described here. Usually I get a few polite questions. A supervisor might get called, but mine has eventually been accepted 100%. My delays have only been a couple of minutes.

Just can't understand what's so difficult about training these folks to accept IDs generated by their own division!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ediemac1
Can't speak for everyone, but my reason for getting is was to have a TSA-accepted ID that was more portable than my passport and that did not have my address on it. Sorry, but I just don't trust the TSOs at my home airport enough to share my address as I'm on my way out of town. A passport card serves the same purpose
Interesting, never thought about that. Thanks for replying.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ediemac1
Can't speak for everyone, but my reason for getting is was to have a TSA-accepted ID that was more portable than my passport and that did not have my address on it. Sorry, but I just don't trust the TSOs at my home airport enough to share my address as I'm on my way out of town.
Likewise. I got the Passport Card (before GE) after a TSA ID checker at (not my home) airport showed particular interest in the address on my DL, asked me questions about it, indicated that he had friends in my home city, and then asked how long I'd be gone.

Wholly and totally inappropriate. And very characteristic of someone who wants to case the joint.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:36 am

Just had my GE interview at IAH and had the nicest young BCE officer. Everything went fine and I asked if he could answer a few questions. "Sure, go for it!" he said. So I asked if the GE card was a valid government issued ID as far as security screening with the TSA as I travel through different airports. He replied it most certainly was and I mentioned that I had heard that some TSA agents would accept it and some not. He rolled his eyes and said, "What can I say? You are dealing with the TSA and everyone knows they are the least trained folks in the system! Try using it and if they won't accept it ask for a supervisor and keep moving it up the chain of command!"

^
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
RDU Jan23

Used my GE card today with no issue. Wish it was as easy to avoid the AIT!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Used my GE card at SFO. No questions asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.