Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
GoingAway,
Thank you.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by troyb
Wow, nice. I think the message is finally starting to get through. Looking forward to going through the gauntlet again this week at EWR and STL.
No issues at either location.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:51 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I will try it tomorrow at LGA!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:59 am

Fail:

Delta terminal 5 @ LAX
December 18, 2011 1017p PST

Young ID checker called for supervisor since he didnt recognize Global Entry ID. Unfortunately no one heard him for ten minutes. Finally two show up and wouldnt allow me to get by without showing another ID. I said I want to speak to manager (they used that word and so then I requested to speak to manager and they said I could after I showed second ID and was past the xrays, etc. - they refused to get manager to come talk to me).

Supervisor (female) said I couldnt travel without showing second ID and I said ok and left the checkpoint (at 1039p).

Walked down to terminal 6 TSA and presented Global Entry ID - TSA ID checker asked what it was and I told him and he initialled boarding pass.

Walked through tunnel connecting to terminal 5 and my 1135p LAX - ATL flight was a few minutes until boarding - upped to 1D at gate so that was nice.

Last week around same time and same terminal didnt have an issue.

Letter to TSA, etc. on Monday.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
LAS - Can't remember whether I showed that (I think I did) and had no issue

LAX - Guy couldn't identify it, called over another agent for help and I told him I had DL too (was running really late)

MIA - Not a second glance at the TT line; accepted w/o question

I like using this instead of my DL since I keep it in its RFID protector sheath rather than my wallet so I can have my wallet already tucked away when I get to TDC station.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:03 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I will try it tomorrow at LGA!
Success.

The ID checker didn't seem to recognize it, but flipped it over and looked at the back (maybe saw the Sentri logo?), then flipped it to the front again, passed it under the black light, and after a few more seconds, signed my BP without asking any questions.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold
ID Checker didn't even think twice when I presented it to him at JFK T3 This Morning. SDOO too was nice.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
SFO T3 elite line last night asked for a driver's license instead.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by bowdenj
Fail:

Delta terminal 5 @ LAX
December 18, 2011 1017p PST

Young ID checker called for supervisor since he didnt recognize Global Entry ID. Unfortunately no one heard him for ten minutes. Finally two show up and wouldnt allow me to get by without showing another ID. I said I want to speak to manager (they used that word and so then I requested to speak to manager and they said I could after I showed second ID and was past the xrays, etc. - they refused to get manager to come talk to me).

Supervisor (female) said I couldnt travel without showing second ID and I said ok and left the checkpoint (at 1039p).

Walked down to terminal 6 TSA and presented Global Entry ID - TSA ID checker asked what it was and I told him and he initialled boarding pass.

Walked through tunnel connecting to terminal 5 and my 1135p LAX - ATL flight was a few minutes until boarding - upped to 1D at gate so that was nice.

Last week around same time and same terminal didnt have an issue.

Letter to TSA, etc. on Monday.
Check your PM
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Does Global Entry Card work at TSA checkpoints?

I received global entry for free courtesy of Amex but don't want to pay more to get the NEXUS card. Will the Global Entry card get me past the smurf checkpoint?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
I received global entry for free courtesy of Amex but don't want to pay more to get the NEXUS card. Will the Global Entry card get me past the smurf checkpoint?
Yes, GE card will work, but you messed up - Nexus is $50 and includes GE, but GE alone is $100 - makes no sense.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rubesl
Yes, GE card will work, but you messed up - Nexus is $50 and includes GE, but GE alone is $100 - makes no sense.
Dang! I'd read somewhere that amex wasn't reimbursing for global entry + nexus, just global entry. oh well. I've only traveled to Canada/Mexico once each in my life.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
Dang! I'd read somewhere that amex wasn't reimbursing for global entry + nexus, just global entry. oh well. I've only traveled to Canada/Mexico once each in my life.
AMEX reimburses up to $100 for a GOES charge. Mrs. & I both applied for Nexus (with GE included) & my AMEX Plat. reimbursed each $50 charge.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, the GE card is a USA government issued photo ID with an expiration date, so it is acceptable ID. However, some TSA checkers do not yet recognize it and others in small airports can be very proud that they have learned about it, so YMMV.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recommend this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...-id-check.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.