Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:22 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
That is exactly the time to push the issue. The longer the line, the more unhappy people there are who might start complaining and we can get rid of the TSA nonsense.
The people behind will not know that you are right and complain to the TSA...they will most likely not have heard of Global Entry, and think that you are holding up the line by using invalid ID. Whether or not they complain at you...they will most likely not complain to the TSA.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA,Starwood,Hilton, Priority Club
If you want to get the card, go to the GOES web site and log in using your user ID and password. From there, hit "Enter" on the "Terms and Conditions" page. Then click on "Manage Membership" on the lower right hand section of that page.

You will see a tool bar reading - from left to right:

Print, Add Trusted Traveler Program, Request Global Entry Card, Add Vehicle, Add Privium Program. (If you are not a member and still don't see this "Request Global Entry Card" button its because you probably already have a NEXUS or SENTRI card, and don't need the GE card. If this is not the case, let us know by sending an email on the "Ask a Question" page.)

Select "Request Global Entry Card." You will then be asked to validate your address, and your travel history and additional information will need to be re-entered. (# 9, 13, and 14 in the TTP Wizard.)

Once your application for the card has passed all validation checks, you will be asked to Certify by clicking on the "Certify" button. (You are almost done.)

Certify again - this time the privacy act statement, then click "next", and agree to proceed by clicking on the square button. Then, click the Make Payment button. From there submit your payment information and click "Submit Payment."

Once the payment is submitted, you are done! Your GE card request will be reviewed, and upon approval, a card will be issued within 4-6 weeks and sent to your current mailing address. Please ensure you activate your GE card prior to using your card. Must be activated with in 30 days. Click Activate Membership Card in the Card Activation box on the lower-right corner of the sign on screen.

You will continue to use your passport at the GE kiosks at the airport, the card cannot be used at those kiosks. The cards can only be used at land border ports of entry.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:34 pm

Wink

[QUOTE=FriendlySkies;16829451]Just spent about ten minutes in GOES.. Any idea of where I can apply for the card?

I was on hold with CBP forever, and finally found this on their website before they ever answered.

If you want to get the card, go to the GOES web site and log in using your user ID and password. From there, hit "Enter" on the "Terms and Conditions" page. Then click on "Manage Membership" on the lower right hand section of that page.

You will see a tool bar reading - from left to right:

Print, Add Trusted Traveler Program, Request Global Entry Card, Add Vehicle, Add Privium Program. (If you are not a member and still don't see this "Request Global Entry Card" button its because you probably already have a NEXUS or SENTRI card, and don't need the GE card. If this is not the case, let us know by sending an email on the "Ask a Question" page.)

Select "Request Global Entry Card." You will then be asked to validate your address, and your travel history and additional information will need to be re-entered. (# 9, 13, and 14 in the TTP Wizard.)

Once your application for the card has passed all validation checks, you will be asked to Certify by clicking on the "Certify" button. (You are almost done.)

Certify again - this time the privacy act statement, then click "next", and agree to proceed by clicking on the square button. Then, click the Make Payment button. From there submit your payment information and click "Submit Payment."

Once the payment is submitted, you are done! Your GE card request will be reviewed, and upon approval, a card will be issued within 4-6 weeks and sent to your current mailing address. Please ensure you activate your GE card prior to using your card. Must be activated with in 30 days. Click Activate Membership Card in the Card Activation box on the lower-right corner of the sign on screen.

You will continue to use your passport at the GE kiosks at the airport, the card cannot be used at those kiosks. The cards can only be used at land border ports of entry.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:54 pm

I am a Flight Attendant and travel extensively outside of work. I was in SAN the other day and the TSA checker said a crew ID was not a valid form of ID since it doesn't have my address, (it has a photo, my full name and I am required to have an FBI background check and fingerprint check to have it issued). I didn't argue, but reached in my bag and took out my GE card & passport and produced them. I was cleared through. I asked for a supervisor because my passport & GE RFID does not contain my address, nor is it on my boarding pass (or anyone's for that matter). I was not in uniform, nor did I use a crew lane or ask for crew or employee privleges, but I have never had my ID rejected for that reason. The supervisor looked at me, shook his head and apologized because he had no idea why I would be rejected on the basis of my lack of address on my ID. He pulled the agent to go over acceptable ID. (yes, my crew badge is acceptable it has a TSA hologram). My rule is, comply to get thru and then ask for a supervisor.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by christineskyhops
I am a Flight Attendant and travel extensively outside of work. I was in SAN the other day and the TSA checker said a crew ID was not a valid form of ID since it doesn't have my address, (it has a photo, my full name and I am required to have an FBI background check and fingerprint check to have it issued). I didn't argue, but reached in my bag and took out my GE card & passport and produced them. I was cleared through. I asked for a supervisor because my passport & GE RFID does not contain my address, nor is it on my boarding pass (or anyone's for that matter). I was not in uniform, nor did I use a crew lane or ask for crew or employee privleges, but I have never had my ID rejected for that reason. The supervisor looked at me, shook his head and apologized because he had no idea why I would be rejected on the basis of my lack of address on my ID. He pulled the agent to go over acceptable ID. (yes, my crew badge is acceptable it has a TSA hologram). My rule is, comply to get thru and then ask for a supervisor.
So, the card does work as ID, eh? I don't fly through SAN (San Diego?) too often, but good to know just in case.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by christineskyhops
While it's been a while since I've been through SAN (and the last time I went there, I worked for US Airways), I had no issue using my US Airways employee ID to get through TSA with my seat request card.

In the few times I've had my Airline ID refused (note that the TSA, even on their website, allows approved airline ID badges as acceptable ID), they've always cleared me with the Global Entry ID - I've never had to resort to my passport or drivers license.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I use my TWIC card when travelling domestically and never have had an issue. I'd rather lose that than my driver's license in case I loose my license during the security binning shuffle. I use my TWIC few and far between, so it's no dig beal if I don't have it for awhile before getting a replacement.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Thanks!! Based on this information, I will start arguing the point with TSOs now. Previously I was hesitant to do so (although I used the GE card when they didn't put up a fight) because I wasn't sure how to prove that GE was equivalent to a Sentri card (since the Sentri logo is small and on the backside only) to TSOs who have never heard of GE.
Last TSO I had to educate on the card claimed, "I'll go look it up when I go on break."
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Prior to receiving my GE RFID card, I always used my passport as I/D at the TSA checkpoint and now I use only my GE card as it's none of the TSO's bidness to know where I live and to see any other non-travel information about me that appears on a driver's license (plus I don't want to run into the 1/65,000 TSO who just happens to have a photographic memory )
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
BOS Terminal C - ID Rejected

Well I guess all of a sudden Global entry card is not valid at BOS Terminal C because its not a precheck terminal? That's the biggest crock of you know what, Ive ever heard.

TDC wouldn't accept it and supervisor i complained to after the fact backed her up. I explained I filled out the stupid comment card which I know they wont care about. Is there someone higher up i should write to? Luckily I had my Passport with me.

I have not had a problem and I've used that ID at least 15 times since i received it. Even through the same check point earlier this month. Also accepted at airports without pre-check or GE

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 27, 2012 at 3:16 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
The people behind will not know that you are right and complain to the TSA...they will most likely not have heard of Global Entry, and think that you are holding up the line by using invalid ID. Whether or not they complain at you...they will most likely not complain to the TSA.
So just allow the TSA to continue with their nonsense?

With your mindset, the TSA continues to get away with their shenanigans.

I couldn't care less what the sheep behind me in the queue think. What I do know is that if the queues run down the length of the terminal and people starting missing flights, the TSA will have to do something about it.

But if sheep are going to be sheep, nothing will change.

I trust you take a more aggressive position than you do with the TSA when representing your clients.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
I used it at IAD last week without any trouble. Next time I think I will use my retired law enforcement (HR218) concealed weapons ID and see what the reaction is. . . Every now and then I use my passport, when traveling short distances in the US, just to see what the screeners will say.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dresden
I used it at IAD last week without any trouble. Next time I think I will use my retired law enforcement (HR218) concealed weapons ID and see what the reaction is. . . Every now and then I use my passport, when traveling short distances in the US, just to see what the screeners will say.
You can give it a shot, but it's not on the list of approved IDs so don't expect the worldly and well-educated TSA to accept your retired ID.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problem in Yuma, AZ on my return flight.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sent a complaint to the TSA yesterday and received a response back today with a list of approved ID's and GE was still listed. My complaint has been forwarded to "customer service manager" for review as they cannot figure out why my GE card would be denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.