Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:14 pm

After my problems at RDU around the Holidays I wrote {name deleted in accordance with FT Policy, but it's on the complaint form}, TSA's Customer Support and Quality Improvement Manager for RDU and satellite airports. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a focused, topical and professional response, acknowledging that the TDC and STSO I ran into erred, needed some additional training, assuring me that TSA-RDU had inserviced their people on Global Entry ID's, and to let them know if there were any more problems. Perhaps this helped the previous poster in their recent experience.

Gradually, we get things done . . .
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Just had my GE interview at IAH and had the nicest young BCE officer. Everything went fine and I asked if he could answer a few questions. "Sure, go for it!" he said. So I asked if the GE card was a valid government issued ID as far as security screening with the TSA as I travel through different airports. He replied it most certainly was and I mentioned that I had heard that some TSA agents would accept it and some not. He rolled his eyes and said, "What can I say? You are dealing with the TSA and everyone knows they are the least trained folks in the system! Try using it and if they won't accept it ask for a supervisor and keep moving it up the chain of command!"

^
^

Originally Posted by ediemac1
Used my GE card today with no issue. Wish it was as easy to avoid the AIT!
+1

Many of my preferred airports are starting to receive more NoS.. Getting harder to SDOO

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Used my GE card at SFO. No questions asked.
Which checkpoint?

Originally Posted by carolinaflyr
After my problems at RDU around the Holidays I wrote {name deleted in accordance with FT Policy, but it's on the complaint form}, TSA's Customer Support and Quality Improvement Manager for RDU and satellite airports. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a focused, topical and professional response, acknowledging that the TDC and STSO I ran into erred, needed some additional training, assuring me that TSA-RDU had inserviced their people on Global Entry ID's, and to let them know if there were any more problems. Perhaps this helped the previous poster in their recent experience.

Gradually, we get things done . . .
Now let's see if they'll take a NEXUS card
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Which checkpoint?
B
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:41 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Use my GE card this weekend for the PDX DO.

LGA: Checker accepted it, and asked what "Global Entry" was for as she was signing my BP, noting that she had seen a few of them recently.

PDX: Checker looked at it funny, ran the backlight over it looking for a hologram, and then signed my MP with no comment.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold
Past Friday at JFK T2: Recognized the card, then asked for a second form of ID. I was in a rush and didn't fight it.

Then later that day at BOS Terminal A - Did not recognize card, claimed it was not valid, asked for a supervisor to review. 2 Striper showed up and did not recognize it either, but then took my ID and Boarding pass to 'the office' where it was verified as OK.

Lack of training
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond
PHL A west 29-Jan-12 ... basically the checkpoint downstairs from the arrival hall. The agent asked a supervisor who said right away it was OK and being used by many frequent travelers, then asked me if I travel a lot as if looking for me to confirm that -- I said yes, of course.

BTW, my first use of GE on my International return yesterday went very well. I sailed right through. Love it!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Mega Boris
Then later that day at BOS Terminal A - Did not recognize card, claimed it was not valid, asked for a supervisor to review. 2 Striper showed up and did not recognize it either, but then took my ID and Boarding pass to 'the office' where it was verified as OK.

Lack of training
They would not accept mine yesterday at BOS terminal A. He never looked at the back of the card. I did not want to push it since the line was already backed up. No nude-o-scope so they at least did something right.

I will try again in PDX on Monday.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k, LT Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA 1MM
"Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?'

Today at GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg) the Document Checker would not except the Global Entry and wanted another form of ID.

I told her it was in her Document book but she refused to look because she had never seen this ID. I asked for a supervisor and when she arrived she was stumped too, until I said it was with the NEXUS ID in the book.

She saw it in the book and finally said that they had never seen one in GSP and OKed my entry.

It's sad that they don't even know their own rules on ID!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mbru
"Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?'

Today at GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg) the Document Checker would not except the Global Entry and wanted another form of ID.

I told her it was in her Document book but she refused to look because she had never seen this ID. I asked for a supervisor and when she arrived she was stumped too, until I said it was with the NEXUS ID in the book.

She saw it in the book and finally said that they had never seen one in GSP and OKed my entry.

It's sad that they don't even know their own rules on ID!
Is Global Entry itself in the book now, or is just Sentri in the book?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
They would not accept mine yesterday at BOS terminal A. He never looked at the back of the card. I did not want to push it since the line was already backed up.
That is exactly the time to push the issue. The longer the line, the more unhappy people there are who might start complaining and we can get rid of the TSA nonsense.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k, LT Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA 1MM
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Is Global Entry itself in the book now, or is just Sentri in the book?
Global Entry is right behind the SENTRI and NEXUS in their book of documents.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: Platinum
My wife used it from our little airport here on the Oregon coast. I think it was the first one they ever saw, but knew about it, and let her through.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CDKing
They would not accept mine yesterday at BOS terminal A. He never looked at the back of the card. I did not want to push it since the line was already backed up. No nude-o-scope so they at least did something right.

I will try again in PDX on Monday.
Strange, I got a big smile and "Thank you very much" when I used my GE card at B in BOS recently. I got asked for another form of ID when I went through SFO with it though . I normally use my passport card but had forgotten it that time. The picture on my GE card isn't a good picture so I didn't push it at SFO, and I likely won't forget my passport card in the future which has had 100% no issue acceptance.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by mbru
Global Entry is right behind the SENTRI and NEXUS in their book of documents.
Thanks!! Based on this information, I will start arguing the point with TSOs now. Previously I was hesitant to do so (although I used the GE card when they didn't put up a fight) because I wasn't sure how to prove that GE was equivalent to a Sentri card (since the Sentri logo is small and on the backside only) to TSOs who have never heard of GE.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
That is exactly the time to push the issue. The longer the line, the more unhappy people there are who might start complaining and we can get rid of the TSA nonsense.
I prefer not to argue with the TSA when all the nude-o-scopes are turned off and risk a retaliatory pat-down.

Originally Posted by frankmu
My wife used it from our little airport here on the Oregon coast. I think it was the first one they ever saw, but knew about it, and let her through.
No problem at PDX today. Maybe Oregon TSA are smarter? Its kind of interesting that airports without global entry recognize the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.