Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
One reason why Walmart failed in Germany is because they train their checkout staff to smile and make small talk. It made customers uncomfortable.
That's a load of BS. I can say that as an Augsburger and having lived there for well over 30 years.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:26 pm

It is clear from your previous posts that you are not sensitive to variations in customs and culture. The failure of Walmart in Germany is a classic case of a business failing to recognize the need to value and adapt to local customs and culture.

Aber die amerikanischen Rezepte funktionieren in Deutschland nicht. Kunden fühlen sich vom "Begrüßer" am Eingang eher belästigt
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,429049,00.html
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:32 pm

One reason why Walmart failed in Germany is because they train their checkout staff to smile and make small talk. It made customers uncomfortable.
Originally Posted by cb1111
That's a load of BS. I can say that as an Augsburger and having lived there for well over 30 years.
Then maybe you need to read some of what's been written about Walmart's demise in Germany.

Originally Posted by http://www.iwim.uni-bremen.de/publikationen/pdf/w024.pdf
[T]he company has repeatedly been rated as only just or even slightly below average in terms of overall consumer satisfaction. In our view, this is because
Wal-Mart’s traditional US-centered view of customer service, enshrined in some of its famous/notorious basic beliefs and rules, is only partly compatible with the expectations of German consumers. This is in particular true of the famous “ten foot-rule” (“three-meter-rule” in metric Germany) and the institution of the “greeter” (which, in the meantime, have been largely abolished after shoppers unaware of its key role in Wal-Mart’s service concept had repeatedly complained that they had been harassed by strangers on store premises).
Originally Posted by http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mighty-walmart-admits-defeat-in-germany-409706.html
[C]ustomers were turned off by the early designs of its stores, by a too-narrow range of produce, and by the famous "greeters", who welcome shoppers to the store and are instructed to smile when within a certain distance of a customer.
Originally Posted by https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/02/business/worldbusiness/02walmart.html
In Germany, Wal-Mart stopped requiring sales clerks to smile at customers — a practice that some male shoppers interpreted as flirting — and scrapped the morning Wal-Mart chant by staff members.

“People found these things strange; Germans just don’t behave that way,” said Hans-Martin Poschmann, the secretary of the Verdi union, which represents 5,000 Wal-Mart employees here.
In short ... cultural differences might be more subtle than you think. Having a conversation with a perfect stranger (as in the case with the passenger-TDC interaction) isn't always comfortable for everyone --- and being reluctant to converse with that stranger shouldn't automatically be cause to suspect that one is a terrorist.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:07 pm
In Memoriam

You'd be surprised at the amount of people referred to law enforcement by the TDCs. Did they all intend to cause harm? Of course not, but some certainly did.
Not surprised, but to what end? TSA hasn't caught a terrorist yet. 0. nada. none. null. squat. zip.... you get the picture?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Sociopaths do the above as well. Think Ted Bundy. Terrorists are sociopaths.

Extremely introverted or shy persons, as well as people with autism, don't want to engage in conversation, make eye contact or "freely provide" information.

Do some research before you post drivel.
I am in fact highly introverted and have tested out with a fair turn towards Asperger-like tendencies (no diagnosis, and I don't actually believe I *HAVE* Aspergers - I just act like it, a bit). The notion of engaging in petty conversation with ANYONE I don't know is distasteful at best - combine it with my strong libertarian beliefs and the fact that such people at the TDC are asserting unConstitutional "authoriTAH!", and you've got a perfect recipe for me to downright refuse to talk to those thugs.

Just because I don't have anything nasty to hide doesn't mean I particularly want you rooting around in whatever aspect of my life you feel like.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
C'mon people, get a life.

I think it is obvious to any halfway intelligent person that the individual who has nothing to hide will be friendly and outgoing, while the bad guy with something to hide will not want to engage in a discussion, make eye contact or freely provide information.

A name, by itself, is not PII, nor is your destination. If someone wanted to find out where you were going they only need to follow you to your gate or does this collective group take evasive action when proceeding to airport gates, first hanging out at the wrong gate to throw the government off.

I could make a killing selling tin foil hats on this forum.
You are absolutely right. However, those of us who do wish to hide something, like oh, I don't know, penis size, will undoubtedly be short-tempered, avoid eye contact and try to leave as soon as possible.

To take it a step further, not everyone who wishes to keep information to themselves has sinister or destructive motives.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Incorrect. History has shown us that the people we are dealing with don't build appropriate cover stories. In addition, there are things that you can't hide that will give everyone but the trained professional away - and those aren't the guys we're dealing with.
Fortunately for all the would-be terrorists out there, the same goes for them (bolding mine) .
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

C'mon people, get a life.

I think it is obvious to any halfway intelligent person that the individual who has nothing to hide will be friendly and outgoing, while the bad guy with something to hide will not want to engage in a discussion, make eye contact or freely provide information.

A name, by itself, is not PII, nor is your destination. If someone wanted to find out where you were going they only need to follow you to your gate or does this collective group take evasive action when proceeding to airport gates, first hanging out at the wrong gate to throw the government off.

I could make a killing selling tin foil hats on this forum.

Originally Posted by JumboD
You are absolutely right. However, those of us who do wish to hide something, like oh, I don't know, penis size, will undoubtedly be short-tempered, avoid eye contact and try to leave as soon as possible.

To take it a step further, not everyone who wishes to keep information to themselves has sinister or destructive motives.
It's time for something I have said before: This is the United Stated of America. You, everyone else, and I have everything to hide unless we choose to disclose it or a legitimate court of law compels us to disclose it.

When I confront Blacklight Bob, you betcha' I "will not want to engage in a discussion, make eye contact or freely provide information." I have everything to hide and I intend to keep it that way.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:22 pm

It is clear from your previous posts that you are not sensitive to variations in customs and culture. The failure of Walmart in Germany is a classic case of a business failing to recognize the need to value and adapt to local customs and culture.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,429049,00.html
Greeters aren't checkout staff.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It's time for something I have said before: This is the United Stated of America.
LOTFAP more like it.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I make it a point to not engage in conversation with TSA clerks, do not make eye contact, and don't freely provide information. How does that make me a "bad guy?"
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:09 pm

Which ones what? Wanted to cause us harm?

The 3rd and 8thones referred to LE on Tuesdays, and the 4th and 23rd referred on Wednesday.

A foolish question deserves a foolish answer.

If you truly believe that the bad guys aren't testing security (and are getting caught,) then you're living in a drea, world.
Okay, just their names and the crimes they were charged with would be a start.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:20 am

Last Tuesday at SFO T2 the TDC asked me to pronounce my name. I said something along the lines of "Sparky" (nothing like the way I normally pronounce it, or the way anyone else would). He called the supervisor over, and she asked me again. I repeated it again. She said, "That's not the way I would pronounce it." I replied, "You didn't ask me for the way you would pronounce it."

She then wanted me to know that it's the TSA that forces her to do this, which I immediately refuted. She let me go.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSO's at SFO T3 yesterday were asking passengers either "What's your first name?" or "What's your last name?" Must be because of the guy who flew with someone else's ID.

I debated giving them a hard time, but then decided I didn't really care. So I said, "It's Tuesday, so my name must be Dave". He didn't smile, but he did wish me a happy birthday-in-three-days.

Perhaps I'm getting weak in my old age: I also willingly went through the nudie booth (it was one of the millimeter wave ones).
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by halls120
I make it a point to not engage in conversation with TSA clerks, do not make eye contact, and don't freely provide information. How does that make me a "bad guy?"
Apparently some people believe you must be a bad guy if you don't have a Facebook page with fully open privacy settings & hourly updates along with a tracking bot on your cellphone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.