Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:13 am
In Memoriam

I have forwarded this thread, with castrobenes' threats highlighted, to the DHS IG, and suggest others do likewise. His and other self-asserted TSO's comments that are, at a minimum, outside the TSA policy for social media and may rise to threats made under color of authority should not be let slide.

Whether the IG will do their job is anybody's guess.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
I have forwarded this thread, with castrobenes' threats highlighted, to the DHS IG, and suggest others do likewise. His and other self-asserted TSO's comments that are, at a minimum, outside the TSA policy for social media and may rise to threats made under color of authority should not be let slide.

Corruption in TSA appears to be widespread. OIG nor anyone else has addressed this issue to date so why expect anything else to happen?

When an agency will hire felons and tolerates thieves, drug dealers, sex perverts and no telling what else I think corrective action will have to come from outside of that organization.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by MaximumSisu

This is great you did this but not holding my breath. Please report back on this.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
I am thoroughly dismayed, yet again, by the words and alleged retaliatory actions of yet another TSA employee. Imagine that...

I'd sincerely like to know, Castobenes, how my privacy is protected when being asked questions by a TDC. You see, as I've stated a few different times in other threads, 95% of my travel is alone. As a woman traveling alone, I do not wish to provide my name, DOB, destination or the the like for everyone in the line to hear. I've had it happen more than once that someone has overheard it, and uses that information to talk to me at the airport bar or Starbucks or the like. That makes me incredibly uncomfortable and I now take issue with any TDC that forces me to state my information, or who reads my information off my ID for anyone to hear. I'll avoid getting into it with the TDC if there's the "line" system where people are required to stand back from the TDC, but not, if forced to speak out loud or if the TDC says my name out loud, I am a rather unhappy camper and I'll ask for a supervisor as to obtaining a privacy statement since I was forced to provide personal identifying information or the TDC repeated my information directly from my ID.

My privacy and ability to transit an airport safely and without some other passenger hitting on me in the bar is rather important to me. I'm an introvert, I keep to myself and I value my privacy greatly. Yet what I'm hearing is that some TDC like this Castrobenes can just be a jerk and make my life difficult by calling for a retaliatory screening because I expect privacy when it comes to my personal identifying information. In fact, the government condones identity theft and harrassment by both its employees and other passengers because someone like Castrobenes feels the need to verbally verify my identity despite the ID in his or her own hand. All that's missing is for someone to start asking for my SSN. Sheesh.
A BIG ^ to you here. Your safety first.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by castrobenes
If you do something to arouse my suspicions, then I can't clear you to go any further unless I can resolve my concerns. If you won't cooperate to help me do that, then I can't complete the screening process. You have to go through the screening process in order to get to your flight.

Standard pat downs are part of the screening process. TSOs and management officials in charge of the checkpoint have the explicit authority to utilize all parts of the screening process whenever the situation dictates.

castro
Not responding to questions cannot give rise to suspicions, especially if the "papers" are in order.

Originally Posted by castrobenes
There's a million ways I can respond to this at the checkpoint. My favorite is "Well sir, if you don't want to communicate with me then there's a whole bunch of other people in line who are willing to work with me to help them get though the process. Let me know when you want to go through the screening process, meanwhile I will help all these other nice people."

I can very my tactics depending on whatever you do...

castro
Retaliation, pure and simple.

And some wonder why the TSA is so despised as an institution, and why screeners are despised as individuals?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Unfortunately, that's not relevant to the discussion here. The 5th amendment deals with criminal proceedings. Attempting to pass through a TSA checkpoint does not incur criminal liability.
No, but lying or misrepresenting onself to a TSO in the process of doing so does.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:24 am

C'mon people, get a life.

I think it is obvious to any halfway intelligent person that the individual who has nothing to hide will be friendly and outgoing, while the bad guy with something to hide will not want to engage in a discussion, make eye contact or freely provide information.

A name, by itself, is not PII, nor is your destination. If someone wanted to find out where you were going they only need to follow you to your gate or does this collective group take evasive action when proceeding to airport gates, first hanging out at the wrong gate to throw the government off.

I could make a killing selling tin foil hats on this forum.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by cb1111

I think it is obvious to any halfway intelligent person that the individual who has nothing to hide will be friendly and outgoing, while the bad guy with something to hide will not want to engage in a discussion, make eye contact or freely provide information.

A name, by itself, is not PII, nor is your destination. If someone wanted to find out where you were going they only need to follow you to your gate or does this collective group take evasive action when proceeding to airport gates, first hanging out at the wrong gate to throw the government off.

It isn't just the tin foil hat crowd that worries about privacy. In another thread, a woman traveling alone told of being hit on by other travelers who had heard her name and destination from a loud mouth TDC.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:50 am

Ahh, the mark of a seasoned debater.

Oh, quite the contrary. The bad guy with something to hide will want to engage in discussion as much as possible, in order to make it appear that, in fact, he's not a bad guy. It's called a "cover story".

A name, by itself, is not PII, nor is your destination.
And the TDC already has access to both of those pieces of information from the documents provided by the passenger. Repeating that information verbally does not add anything to the process ... and, as others have posted, does create problems for some passengers.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC

Oh how refreshing, it's been a while since anyone played the "Nothing To Hide" card (or should that be canard).

I have a valid boarding pass and ID () and am not in possession of any weapons, explosives or incendiaries*. End of story, end of discussion(s). TSA workers are not my friends and my business is none of theirs, there is no question from them which I need or am inclined to answer. By friendly and outgoing I assume you mean cowed into not wishing to upset the security personnel. Sorry, Homey don't play that.

* assuming the TSA workers didn't miss anything at the checkpoint.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by knotyeagle
Give you a hint castrobenes, on 16 June 2011 was the best 1.25 hours I've ever spent with 9 (all of them lead screeners & above, including screening manager Steve Teduci) at Denver (DEN). Your female psychic readers were actually insulted when I asked them how long they have been BDO's and how was the 1 week course. They actually left the screening room in a huff.

Next time I'll try to make sure it is 9 screeners for 2.5 hours. I sincerely look forward to this century's Bastille Day at your TSA checkpoint. If I'm lucky I'll take photos of you & your cohorts.
Is there more to this story? I'd love to read it all! :-:^
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spoken like a true TSA employee.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Spoken like a true TSA employee.
Right - and your paranoia makes you believe that everyone who disagrees with the rantings here must be a TSA employee.

I'm not, but you can (and will) believe what you want.

Sheesh, this forum needs professional psychiatric help.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right - and your paranoia makes you believe that everyone who disagrees with the rantings here must be a TSA employee.

I'm not, but you can (and will) believe what you want.

Sheesh, this forum needs professional psychiatric help.
You may in fact not be a TSA employee but sure seem to have all the prerequisites to apply.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You may in fact not be a TSA employee but sure seem to have all the prerequisites to apply.
Incorrect. I actually know how to spell and can understan big words like "prerequisites."

I'm no big fan of some of the TSA policies but I also don't see big bad Government lurking around every corner trying to do me in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.