Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSO: Where are you flying today?
Pax: What day is it?

Pax: How are you?

Pax: What are you doing after work?

Pax: I have 3 cats

etc, etc, etc....
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
I recently encountered something similar in SAT.

The TDC looked at my BP and ID and said "Mr. [Last Name]..." and then glanced up at me. I was standing a little off to the side of the desk, and just kept staring straight ahead, right past her.

Then she looked at my ID again and said "Okay, [First Name]" followed by a pause of about 2 seconds where she glanced up at me, and then "you're all set."

I just held my hand out, took the BP and ID form her, and walked to the line for the WTMD, without even glancing at her.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is much ado about nothing. I know my name and how to pronounce it so I have no problem doing so when asked.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flpab
You will be seeing more of this from logan.
It happens at IAD as well, especially at the Diamond lane. I don't respond, and have never been challenged to respond.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
This is much ado about nothing.
It's also a procedure which accomplishes nothing but wasting time, on the part of both the TSOs and the passengers.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: United
I still think that the best answer is something along the lines of:
TDC: Where are you flying today?
Me: Well, that's really up to the pilot isn't it?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
This is much ado about nothing. I know my name and how to pronounce it so I have no problem doing so when asked.
Asked ? You must be fortunate in encountering a different kind of TSA worker than most. Would you also have no problem if you were ordered to do so ?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:48 am
In Memoriam

You probably also know how to bend and spread 'em, so you'll have no problem with that, also, I suppose?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I think that Often1's greater point is that if one simply plays along with the game, no matter how inane one might consider the process, you will be done and on your way in 5 seconds flat. The TSA employees are just doing a job. If every other passenger gives them a rash of crap and this goes on for hours on end...

At the end of the day, we need to all remember that we are just one successful terrorist plot away from even more mayhem, economic meltdown and so forth. This current system may not be preventing such an occurrence, but for the past 10 years, there have been no domestic hijackings and no planes blown out of the sky.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by RobertS975
This current system may not be preventing such an occurrence, but for the past 10 years, there have been no domestic hijackings and no planes blown out of the sky.
So what you mean is the current system is preventing such an occurrence.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: United
I think that Often1's greater point is that if one simply plays along with the game, no matter how inane one might consider the process, you will be done and on your way in 5 seconds flat. The TSA employees are just doing a job. If every other passenger gives them a rash of crap and this goes on for hours on end...
I'm trying to stop myself from making a nazi reference.
At the end of the day, we need to all remember that we are just one successful terrorist plot away from even more mayhem, economic meltdown and so forth. This current system may not be preventing such an occurrence, but for the past 10 years, there have been no domestic hijackings and no planes blown out of the sky.
And in those same ten years I have had no elephants in my living room. Maybe the TSA is keeping the elephants out of my house.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And what evidence do you put forward showing that TSA had any part in preventing a terrorist attack?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:04 am

I think that Often1's greater point is that if one simply plays along with the game, no matter how inane one might consider the process, you will be done and on your way in 5 seconds flat. The TSA employees are just doing a job. If every other passenger gives them a rash of crap and this goes on for hours on end....
No. If every passenger refuses to do things there's no legal basis to request, the requests will stop.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE

OMG! Do you write this crap to antagonize the readership?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:29 pm

Because nobody's tried. There aren't quite as many terrorists around here as the DHS would like the sheeple to believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.