Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Apparently some people believe you must be a bad guy if you don't have a Facebook page with fully open privacy settings & hourly updates along with a tracking bot on your cellphone.
or simply want to travel on a commercial transport.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Apparently some people believe you must be a bad guy if you don't have a Facebook page with fully open privacy settings & hourly updates along with a tracking bot on your cellphone.
Uh oh....

Add 'no Facebook page' to my list of suspicious behaviours. Don't smile at random strangers, don't make idle chit chat with strangers, don't have a Facebook page.

That makes me

a somewhat typical German.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exbayern
Uh oh....

Add 'no Facebook page' to my list of suspicious behaviours. Don't smile at random strangers, don't make idle chit chat with strangers, don't have a Facebook page.

That makes me

I have never met what I would call a typical German. Most I have met I would call uniquely German.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
There is some idiot at LAX doing this all the time. He pretends to be cheerful, but is clearly trying to play SPOT.

Originally Posted by exbayern
Uh oh....

That makes me

Before I saw the end part, I was going to make that joke for you
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
TSO's at SFO T3 yesterday were asking passengers either "What's your first name?" or "What's your last name?" Must be because of the guy who flew with someone else's ID.

I debated giving them a hard time, but then decided I didn't really care. So I said, "It's Tuesday, so my name must be Dave". He didn't smile, but he did wish me a happy birthday-in-three-days.

Perhaps I'm getting weak in my old age: I also willingly went through the nudie booth (it was one of the millimeter wave ones).
There's also no law against having a really, really bad stutter...
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboD
My new favorite is from Post #133: "Sparky."
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
I have forwarded this thread, with castrobenes' threats highlighted, to the DHS IG, and suggest others do likewise. His and other self-asserted TSO's comments that are, at a minimum, outside the TSA policy for social media and may rise to threats made under color of authority should not be let slide.

Whether the IG will do their job is anybody's guess.
Any acknowledgement from OIG?

I had really hoped that Castobenes would have come back and made right his statements of retaliation and abuse of his TSA position. Guess I was expecting to much from our TSA types.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD
I do have a really, really bad stutter. Not all the time. Just some times. Stress makes it worse.

If I run into Castrobenes, I likely won't be able to say anything at all. And that means I must require additional screening!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
I have forwarded this thread, with castrobenes' threats highlighted, to the DHS IG, and suggest others do likewise. His and other self-asserted TSO's comments that are, at a minimum, outside the TSA policy for social media and may rise to threats made under color of authority should not be let slide.

Whether the IG will do their job is anybody's guess.
Any acknowledgement from OIG?

I had really hoped that Castobenes would have come back and made right his statements of retaliation and abuse of his TSA position. Guess I was expecting to much from our TSA types.
It often takes the OIG a couple of weeks to respond.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:24 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cb1111
Incorrect. History has shown us that the people we are dealing with don't build appropriate cover stories. In addition, there are things that you can't hide that will give everyone but the trained professional away - and those aren't the guys we're dealing with.
Maybe Underwear Bob and Shoe-bomb Joe, but those folks were bumbling idiots. I wouldn't exactly call them "the people we are dealing with," or at least certainly not the ones we should be afraid of. @:-)

The 9/11 hijackers, who due to poor policies and bungled intelligence leads were quite successful, would never have been caught by being asked to read their names or other inane BDC mumbo-jumbo.

There is of course the question if the TDC can actually detect those indicators, but those indicators are there - just like when you can tell if your 16 year old isn't quite telling the truth.
An awful lot of 16-year-olds seem to be able to lie fairly convincingly, even to immediate family who should know them best. But we're straying off-topic here.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people referred to law enforcement by the TDCs. Did they all intend to cause harm? Of course not, but some certainly did.
Scope creep, plain and simple. The TSA and their TDCs are supposed to be there for airline security screening, not for conducting asset forfeitures, drug busts, enforcing restraining orders for domestic disputes, catching deadbeat dads, etc. Anything more than enforcing security screening is really crossing 4th Amendment lines.

Originally Posted by doober
Sociopaths do the above as well. Think Ted Bundy. Terrorists are sociopaths.
^
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by doober
It often takes the OIG a couple of weeks to respond.
I don't know what you're expecting the OIG to do. I imagine the offending poster has taken steps to ensure he is untraceable on the internet. Any TSA poster who has not done so is a fool; but then that possibility cannot be entirely ruled out.

The TSA could issue a fiat banning its employees from posting, or at least identifying themselves as employees, on bulletin boards/forums which might deprive us of some damn fine entertainment.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
TSO's at SFO T3 yesterday were asking passengers either "What's your first name?" or "What's your last name?" Must be because of the guy who flew with someone else's ID.

I debated giving them a hard time, but then decided I didn't really care. So I said, "It's Tuesday, so my name must be Dave". He didn't smile, but he did wish me a happy birthday-in-three-days.

Perhaps I'm getting weak in my old age: I also willingly went through the nudie booth
(it was one of the millimeter wave ones).
You're not weak. You just wanted them to see you in your birthday suit.

Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be back at two and eight. Try the veal ad don't forget to tip your waitress.

Mike
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I don't know what you're expecting the OIG to do. I imagine the offending poster has taken steps to ensure he is untraceable on the internet. Any TSA poster who has not done so is a fool; but then that possibility cannot be entirely ruled out.

The TSA could issue a fiat banning its employees from posting, or at least identifying themselves as employees, on bulletin boards/forums which might deprive us of some damn fine entertainment.
Well if they were that smart would they be working for TSA?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
The only time i was asked this my retort was "I thought reading comprehension was a job requirement...So much for highly trained professionals" grabbed my ID and BP out of the braintrusts hands and kept on walking. If looks could kill i would have been dead, but no retaliatory actions as they must have realized they would loose that argument PDQ
Loose that argument?
Following your recommendations ,you wouldn't get a job with theTSA.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Last Friday at SFO International terminal.

Tsa: Where are you flying to today? (holding my BP)
Me: Hong Kong
Tsa: The BP says Indonesia
Me: Nope, Hong Kong
Tsa: It says Indonesia here
Me: I don't know about you but I'm going to Hong Kong.
Tsa: O.K. just testing you.

I don't usually participate in the Tsa discussions here but seriously? This and the name pronouncing are just idiotic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.