Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
That's probably a round of SPOTting.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: Co Gold
What would happen if you invoked the 5th amendment?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhino_uk
What would happen if you invoked the 5th amendment?
It doesn't apply to providing your name, as the restriction is against self-incrimination. However, I am aware of no legal basis for a TSO demanding any information from you. As others have noted, pronouncing your name is an invitation to potential thieves to look up your address and rob your house.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Co Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
It doesn't apply to providing your name, as the restriction is against self-incrimination. However, I am aware of no legal basis for a TSO demanding any information from you. As others have noted, pronouncing your name is an invitation to potential thieves to look up your address and rob your house.
So if I understand this right- if you turn up at the TDC with a fake boarding pass and / or ID that are NOT in your name then you could plead the 5th as pronouncing YOUR name would not match the BP / ID and would therefore be self-incriminatory, but if your have a valid BP / ID then you cannot refuse to pronounce your name.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhino_uk
So if I understand this right- if you turn up at the TDC with a fake boarding pass and / or ID that are NOT in your name then you could plead the 5th as pronouncing YOUR name would not match the BP / ID and would therefore be self-incriminatory, but if your have a valid BP / ID then you cannot refuse to pronounce your name.
Hard to say. You can't be compelled to give testimony against yourself. I really can't say whether that would constitute, "testimony."
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:17 pm

Hard to say. You can't be compelled to give testimony against yourself. I really can't say whether that would constitute, "testimony."
Well, it occurs to me that since you are not in a court of law, you are not sworn in to testify as a witness, so you cannot be compelled to give "testimony" period, whether it would incriminate you or not.

The big question is what recourse, legally speaking, does the TSO have if you choose to remain silent, or refuse to say your name in public.

If I, as a female, were travelling alone, I would refuse to state my name within earshot of any of the other passengers, but I would offer to either write it down and show it to the TDC, or whisper it into his/her ear to protect my privacy.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Yes. For me it's 7 letters, totally phonetic, yet 90 percent of people transpose two letters in my name when they try to pronounce it. It's really bizarre.

Ugh - definitely PM me for the TSA contact at DFW - this is an issue that needs to be resolved.

I think if I am asked, I will say that I refuse to say my last name out loud due to security concerns. I am traveling out of town, and my name isn't very common, so it wouldn't take much for a nearby lurker to figure out my address. I will definitely complain if a TSO tries to loudly announce my name.
I already have the name and contact info for DFW FSD, AFDS, and CSR manager.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Well, it occurs to me that since you are not in a court of law, you are not sworn in to testify as a witness, so you cannot be compelled to give "testimony" period, whether it would incriminate you or not.
It doesn't matter whether or not you are in a court of law.

The big question is what recourse, legally speaking, does the TSO have if you choose to remain silent, or refuse to say your name in public.
The same one TSOs have with respect to anything else. They can refuse to admit you to the sterile area.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We could certainly use a cadre of lawyers who would volunteer time to help us fight TSA.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
We could certainly use a cadre of lawyers who would volunteer time to help us fight TSA.
For myself, I'm just waiting for the right set of circumstances which would support a lawsuit. I haven't flown much the last couple of months, but perhaps that will change.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
or whisper it into his/her ear to protect my privacy.
I just threw up a little in my mouth. <shudder>
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:48 pm

I wonder if I could pull off an Oscar winning performance... let my eyes slowly fill with tears, start to shake, then blurt out "I can't say my name out loud! A terrorist might hear then they'll look me up on Google and bomb my house!"

I mean, it's about as ridiculous of odds as a terrorist actually bombing my plane. Right? LOL. I'm liking it.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
I just threw up a little in my mouth. <shudder>
(What I would also do is gather a mouthful of saliva before pronouncing my maiden name that begins with a "P"... shhhhh!)
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Got the say you name treatment at DFW around the first of the year. I questioned why and got a ration of crap from the 2 stripper TSA employee. Complaints followed and still have not received a resolution from DFW TSA or higher.

Have been ground bound since but have trips scheduled over the next three months so will be checking out DFW, FLL, and LAS TSA Ops.
Have not experienced that at DFW where I have been departing weekly over the last few months.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I think the name pronoucing game is related to us being photographed. I'm serious.
Could you please elaborate upon that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.