Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by janetdoe
I just threw up a little in my mouth. <shudder>
If you are going to vomit or otherwise release bodily fluids from the mouth, doing so at a TDC station at an airport is about as good a place as any for that.

I observed the query at JFK with a TSA employee trying to fish for information about ethnic, national and religious affiliations related to some name. A waste of everyone's time.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I think we should all learn to sign our name. It is incredibly easy to learn a few letters. It is what I will use if asked.

Here is a good chart to learn the letters.

I did hear about one experience of someone using signs at the TDC. The TDC did not know ASL and called the supervisor. The TDC said something on the order of "I need an interpreter as this person is deaf." The person said to the supervisor and the TDC " I did not say I was deaf. I just chose to communicate in signs."

Supervisor gave the magic squiggle and sent them on.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I observed the query at JFK with a TSA employee trying to fish for information about ethnic, national and religious affiliations related to some name. A waste of everyone's time.
Much, much worse than that. I would have stopped the assembly line right there and made the biggest scene ever seen at JFK (well, maybe not the biggest).

That behavior is so far beyond the pale I can't even begin to categorize it.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
Have not experienced that at DFW where I have been departing weekly over the last few months.
All I can do is say it happened to me.

February 18, Gate A20, LTSO Gerard was one of two people checking ID's and Boarding Passes.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
If I, as a female, were travelling alone, I would refuse to state my name within earshot of any of the other passengers, but I would offer to either write it down and show it to the TDC
I wonder if writing it down is an acceptable alternative. It seems to me that if the point of this is to catch people who doesn't actually belong to the ID, then spelling the name (especially certain difficult to pronounce names) would be better than saying it.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
I wonder if writing it down is an acceptable alternative. It seems to me that if the point of this is to catch people who doesn't actually belong to the ID, then spelling the name (especially certain difficult to pronounce names) would be better than saying it.
If one is going to place any credibility on the premise then writing would certainly be 'better'. Many ways to pronounce something, just one to spell it.

It's all utter nonsense anyway.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:44 pm
Suspended

lol... reminds me of the one and only time I saw a cute TSA screener. She was a TDC and had a distinctive last name on her name tag. I was able to find her on Facebook before I reached my gate. IIRC, she was a 19-year-old college girl working hard at 6 AM. FLL, which I stopped flying out of because of the NoS:WTMD ratio. Never sent her a message since I couldn't think of a non-creepy introduction, and no, I don't have the name saved and therefore can't re-locate the profile picture.

Anyway, I'm with you all on the refusing to say my name thing, but because of my aversion to stupidity, not for privacy reasons. I post my name, address, e-mail, and phone number on the Internet in my legal docs against the TSA, and nothing happens. At airports, there are a million guys with Rolexes (er, Rolicies? ), an even greater quantity of pretty women, etc., and there's no reason for anyone to rob/stalk/harass/etc. you in particular. Everyone's always watching out for the "new high-tech crime," but if one was looking for a victim, it would be 1,000x easier to simply find that victim on the street. It's kind of like how the TSA buys all this fancy equipment to look for the new high-tech terrorist while their failure rate for conventional weapons is something like 80%.

--Jon
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Affection
lol... reminds me of the one and only time I saw a cute TSA screener. She was a TDC and had a distinctive last name on her name tag. I was able to find her on Facebook before I reached my gate. IIRC, she was a 19-year-old college girl working hard at 6 AM. FLL, which I stopped flying out of because of the NoS:WTMD ratio. Never sent her a message since I couldn't think of a non-creepy introduction, and no, I don't have the name saved and therefore can't re-locate the profile picture.

Anyway, I'm with you all on the refusing to say my name thing, but because of my aversion to stupidity, not for privacy reasons. I post my name, address, e-mail, and phone number on the Internet in my legal docs against the TSA, and nothing happens. At airports, there are a million guys with Rolexes (er, Rolicies? ), an even greater quantity of pretty women, etc., and there's no reason for anyone to rob/stalk/harass/etc. you in particular. Everyone's always watching out for the "new high-tech crime," but if one was looking for a victim, it would be 1,000x easier to simply find that victim on the street. It's kind of like how the TSA buys all this fancy equipment to look for the new high-tech terrorist while their failure rate for conventional weapons is something like 80%.

--Jon
I, too, am not that concerned about the privacy issue, although I understand that some are. My concern is that the web site tells me what I have to present to be allowed to enter the checkpoint and saying my name is not one of them. I have to have a boarding pass (or a gate pass) and a photo ID that meets their requirement. I do not have to have a photo ID but it is suggested. Making up new requirements without documenting them or informing passengers is the sort of thing that is expected in totalitarian regimes whose primary goal is the control of the population. This is the reason that I resist these efforts.

The requirements for passing security and getting on my plane should never be mysterious or haphazard. However, the whole process is shrouded in mystery. It appears to be an attempt at psychological manipulation, but I would hope that this is accidental and not purposeful. I would hate to suspect that we are that close to losing our remaining liberty.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I already have the name and contact info for DFW FSD, AFDS, and CSR manager.
I'd love to get that info from you. All I have is the FSD info.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The requirements for passing security and getting on my plane should never be mysterious or haphazard. .
It also should not exclude a large segment of the travelling population from being able to voluntarily respond. Just like the AIT, this new process overlooks a large number of people who don't fit into the 'normal' slot.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If one is going to place any credibility on the premise then writing would certainly be 'better'. Many ways to pronounce something, just one to spell it.
Who says you have to spell it in English
Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:41 pm

If the TSA were serious about boarding passes belonging to who they're supposed to, they'd ask for ID and check that against the boarding pass.

This new method sounds like it was implemented solely for the amusement of TSA.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
I would offer to either write it down and show it to the TDC, or whisper it into his/her ear to protect my privacy.
I doubt that would go very far, since he already has your name printed on two different documents in his hand...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: HAL Pualani Platinum, Delta Gold
I wanna pull a cheech "uhhhhhh... Isn't it on there on the license?"
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I would hate to suspect that we are that close to losing our remaining liberty.
Start hating. You're long overdue. Seriously.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.