Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
...and Often1 will be happily on his/her way while others are squawking about government intrusion have been delayed until their flight has departed and they are pulling up their pants having been forced to undergo a more thorough search purely out of spite.
But again, for many people it is NOT out of spite. My hard of hearing, German speaking mother definitely wouldn't be doing it from spite.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by exbayern
But again, for many people it is NOT out of spite. My hard of hearing, German speaking mother definitely wouldn't be doing it from spite.
Perhaps you misread me - I don't think your mother works for the TSA and I'm sure she's not spiteful. I meant spite on the part of the authorities.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Jul 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Perhaps you misread me - I don't think your mother works for the TSA and I'm sure she's not spiteful.
Whoops! I absolutely did misread you!! No, you are correct on both counts!

Sorry, I was mislead and confused by the continued argument some presented that simply because one does not reply one should be considered a risk.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by castrobenes
If that passenger doesn't want to communicate with the TSO or supervisor, then I don't see how your ID can be verified.
But the passenger does communicate with the TSO and supervisor. The passenger provides the boarding pass and ID. That's communication. It's the communication that's been used for over a decade. If you don't see how ID can be verified using this method, perhaps you don't know how your job has been done by others, and done to the TSAs satisfaction.

If you just want to insult TSOs, well then you and every member of your family is getting a pat down.

castro
And that is one of the major problems with the TSA. Some TSOs are so full of themselves that they see passengers as subjects for abuse, rather than law-abiding people peacefully going about their business, in this "land of the free".

I daresay those with the attitude expressed above have done more to damage the liberties we [used to] enjoy then all of the terrorist incidents to date.

Last edited by OldGoat; Jul 4, 2011 at 5:54 pm
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting thread...I have never seen this requirement implemented. However I don't have any problem with a TSO asking for a passenger to pronounce his name at the TDC station. If that passenger doesn't want to communicate with the TSO or supervisor, then I don't see how your ID can be verified.

If you just want to insult TSOs, well then you and every member of your family is getting a pat down.
castro

So your answer to this situation is retaliation, is that correct?

I see later in this thread that you call yourself a TSM. Is using retaliation how you train the employees you supervise?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a great argument. But in making this argument at the checkpoint, you will have established that you can communicate. At this point the argument will be whether someone can refuse to communicate/cooperate with the TDC.

In the end, you will probably travel. But as a TSM, I would feel uncertain and confused about whether I have the ability to screen someone who refuses to cooperate with the screening process. I would have to consult with senior leaders including TSA law enforcement. I would not want to make a misstep so this process would require consultation before we could allow you to proceed with the screening process. I have no idea how long this will take, and many will be concerned about your refusal to cooperate.

Just saying...

castro
Your argument seems to be that TSA's procedures to verify Identity Documents and Boarding Passes is faulty so TSA is resorting to asking names.

Then I have to wonder how you screen someone who cannot speak since you're making some kind of argument that not saying a name prevents TSA from screening a person.

Are TSA screening processes so weak and faulty that you're relying on the passenger to say their name, really?

If this requirement to 'Say your Name' is so damn important for Castrobenes to be able to screen a person why is this policy not stated anywhere in publicly available documents?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There certainly is no law requiring you to pronounce your name. But I wouldn't be telling you that you broke the law, I would merely be asking you to assist me in verifying your identity.

I am not particularly afraid of video cameras. I have done some modelling, and I look good. Women swoon.

Seriously TSA loses when it reacts with emotion. All your camera would record is me trying to do is help you not threaten you in any way. I know enough to respond with a helpful demeanor.

castro
I would suggest that TSA has lost when it puts people in a position of authority that openly admits to using retaliation during screening.

Why don't you tell us which airport you work at so we can forward your comment to your FSD. I'm sure he would be proud of you.

edit to add:

betting Castro won't man up and say which airport?

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: *Alliance
Yesterday at SFO Terminal #3 the id checker did not ask me to pronounce my name. Perhaps they woke up with an attack of common sense
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

castro
If this is what you actually do on the job, you should be fired. Immediately.

In the end, you will probably travel. But as a TSM, I would feel uncertain and confused about whether I have the ability to screen someone who refuses to cooperate with the screening process. I would have to consult with senior leaders including TSA law enforcement. I would not want to make a misstep so this process would require consultation before we could allow you to proceed with the screening process. I have no idea how long this will take, and many will be concerned about your refusal to cooperate.
castro
I truly hope that someday I transit the airport where you work, and that you play your little power trip with me. You see, I always arrive at the airport early, so your veiled threat that you will delay my travel because I will refuse to speak to you is an empty threat.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:04 pm

If you do something to arouse my suspicions, then I can't clear you to go any further unless I can resolve my concerns.
Refusing to answer a question by a governmental actor is not permitted to "arouse suspicions" under the 5th Amendment.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Refusing to answer a question by a governmental actor is not permitted to "arouse suspicions" under the 5th Amendment.
The 4th is already gone so why would they worry about the 5th?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Unfortunately, that's not relevant to the discussion here. The 5th amendment deals with criminal proceedings. Attempting to pass through a TSA checkpoint does not incur criminal liability.

(Yet.)
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I wonder what would happen if I spoke to a TDC in Irish.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
In March 2001, I was going through an individual security screening at Schiphol (AMS) in preparation to board the NW DC10.

Agent: Are you travelling alone today?
Me: No, I hope to travel with at least two pilots and all of these other passengers.

Agent: Please give me your passport.
Me: (I gave him my Swiss and US passports) Here, take your pick.

He asked me to wait for his supervisor.
The boss came over and asked me to answer the questions without any attempt at humour.

That was all.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
I am thoroughly dismayed, yet again, by the words and alleged retaliatory actions of yet another TSA employee. Imagine that...

I'd sincerely like to know, Castobenes, how my privacy is protected when being asked questions by a TDC. You see, as I've stated a few different times in other threads, 95% of my travel is alone. As a woman traveling alone, I do not wish to provide my name, DOB, destination or the the like for everyone in the line to hear. I've had it happen more than once that someone has overheard it, and uses that information to talk to me at the airport bar or Starbucks or the like. That makes me incredibly uncomfortable and I now take issue with any TDC that forces me to state my information, or who reads my information off my ID for anyone to hear. I'll avoid getting into it with the TDC if there's the "line" system where people are required to stand back from the TDC, but not, if forced to speak out loud or if the TDC says my name out loud, I am a rather unhappy camper and I'll ask for a supervisor as to obtaining a privacy statement since I was forced to provide personal identifying information or the TDC repeated my information directly from my ID.

My privacy and ability to transit an airport safely and without some other passenger hitting on me in the bar is rather important to me. I'm an introvert, I keep to myself and I value my privacy greatly. Yet what I'm hearing is that some TDC like this Castrobenes can just be a jerk and make my life difficult by calling for a retaliatory screening because I expect privacy when it comes to my personal identifying information. In fact, the government condones identity theft and harrassment by both its employees and other passengers because someone like Castrobenes feels the need to verbally verify my identity despite the ID in his or her own hand. All that's missing is for someone to start asking for my SSN. Sheesh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.