Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking firearms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SATTSO
I disagree. There are multiple processes to screen checked firearms.

I would like to point out something that no one has mentioned, because the odds of it happening are very rare. I have heard people state that to prevent theft throw a gun into the bag, thus the bag is checked in front of you, and so on. Ok, lets say that works, and often it will.

But what happens when and if you bag is put on the wrong plane, unloaded at another destination, and when the airline employees realize it, submit it for re-inspection by TSA, the lock is cut off, the gun found - and now your luggage can not go, stuck in an airport you are not.

As example, today I had to screen bags that the airline put on the wrong plane, then waited at the baggage claim area before the airline employees realized were put on the incorrect flight. So the bags had to be rescreened before being flown to their original destination. It doesn't happen often, but considering how many hundreds of thousands of people who fly in a single day, I would guess it happens thousand of times a day around the country.

I realize this is off topic, just wanted to throw this out there to make sure your aware of the possibility. Have fun discussing it by yourselves.

Add: the other day I remember having to screen a baby carriage that was put on the wrong flight. Family got it the follow day. Felt bad for them.
On my way back from MSY to DEN last year, my bag with pistol in it was sent on to Frankfurt. United didn't find it, but I got a call two days later from Lufthansa telling me they had my bag and were putting it, unopened on the next non-stop to Denver.

Why wouldn't your errant bag make it back to you if misrouted. . . in the US?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, US Airways, Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Despite what was said above, the declaration should be placed OUTSIDE your hard sided case, inside you soft sided luggage.
The dilemma is that over half of the airline folks INSIST that the declaration should go INSIDE the hard guncase with the firearm(s) inside the locked suitcase. I've tried to explain that the TSA like to be able to see the declaration without opening the gun case but have been met with so much heated resistance that I've given up training the trainers. I just smile and do as I'm told. I make more flights that way.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Some airlines have the notice on their website (Delta, for exampe), so you can fill out two of them for just this situation.

One goes inside, one goes outside.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And, again, it's the airline who will have a lot of explaining to do: (a) why the bag was sent to the wrong destination in the first place, and (b) why the bag was allowed to exit the sterile area in the first place, necessitating the re-screening.
Baggage claim isn't sterile.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
A mis-routed bag with a tag for a different airport should never get on the baggage claim carousel.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Some airlines have the notice on their website (Delta, for exampe), so you can fill out two of them for just this situation.

One goes inside, one goes outside.
Why on earth would you identify a firearm is in your luggage on the outside? The TSA doesn't personally pack it on a plane with a camera following them.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:32 am

Minimize the opportunities for interference

Originally Posted by pragakhan
Why on earth would you identify a firearm is in your luggage on the outside? The TSA doesn't personally pack it on a plane with a camera following them.
Because the TSA is so inconsistent is the reason why. Sometimes they demand one method, sometimes the other. So you do both in order to minimize your interaction with them.

Small cases (revolvers, for instance) that you can pack in a larger case, get one inside the hard case, and one inside the larger soft case in which it is packed.

Large cases (shotguns, rifles) are pretty obviously gun cases, there is no disguising it. One goes inside, one gets taped to the outside.

However, even this precaution won't save you from the other means of TSA incompetence and inability to comply with FARs on firearm transportation. Such as failing to screen the cases at the check-in desk, and requesting that you give them the keys so they can search it out of your control, which is the most common one.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Neither are the gate areas.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Neither are the gate areas.
They're at least supposed to be. You can walk from the street to baggage claim without going through security, though. It wouldn't be that hard for a terrorist to walk into baggage claim and find a misdirected bag and put his bomb in it. Sure, he probably would have to try many times but it would be basically risk-free.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Can you show me the provision of the Gun Control Act that would allow a non-licensed individual to transfer a Title 1 firearm to a police department?
18 USC 925(a)(1) states:

The provisions of this chapter, except for sections 922(d)(9) and 922(g)(9) and provisions relating to firearms subject to the prohibitions of section 922(p), shall not apply with respect to the transportation, shipment, receipt, possession, or importation of any firearm or ammunition imported for, sold or shipped to, or issued for the use of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof.

Does that work?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Deeg
18 USC 925(a)(1) states:

The provisions of this chapter, except for sections 922(d)(9) and 922(g)(9) and provisions relating to firearms subject to the prohibitions of section 922(p), shall not apply with respect to the transportation, shipment, receipt, possession, or importation of any firearm or ammunition imported for, sold or shipped to, or issued for the use of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof.

Does that work?
I stand corrected.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:59 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by pragakhan
You wouldn't. In fact, its a violation of federal law to do just that.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'll be traveling on US with some firearms. What all is on the form the ask you to fill out when you declare the firearm?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:14 pm

Most have a signature and date line, along with flight number and destination. Some have employee number. Southwest has address and phone.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
I'll be traveling on US with some firearms. What all is on the form the ask you to fill out when you declare the firearm?
The US form isn't available online, you have to obtain it and complete it at the airport. In PHX, this means giving yourself up to an hour extra time, as the GA finding the form isn't always the swiftest process, and the TSA can be very obtuse when it comes to examining the case.

From their site:

"US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law.
Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
A passenger who presents checked baggage that contains a firearm must declare the weapon and sign a written acknowledgement that the firearm is unloaded.
Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition clips with ammunition loaded are not accepted. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required.
There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs/23 kg, 62 in/157 cm in maximum.
A passenger who presents a firearm to be checked to an international destination must be in possession of all required import documentation for their international destination city and any international transit points. It is the responsibility of the passenger to acquire the required documentation from the applicable government entity prior to travel (usually a consulate or embassy). Firearms will not be accepted for transport if international import requirements have not been met."

Images from older, completed forms online:

http://www.arkansascarry.com/uploads...rways_back.jpg

and

http://thegunzone.com/images/declarationform.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.