Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking firearms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by billinaz
Firearms dont always need a FFL transfer. You can ship it to yourself,or to a repair shop with no FFL needed.

So send it the day before via fedex.......
True, however you can only ship a pistol by Fedex and they will require it be sent overnight as a non-FFL holder. Much cheaper for me to just check my rifle case with the five guns in it.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:35 am

If you use the firearms for a living, getting them stolen after checking them in can ruin your whole day...Netanyahu's Bodyguard weapons stolen at JFK

I wonder what the backup-plan there was. Perhaps BATF had a few extra weapons they were willing to let slip through on the sly.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by billinaz
So first I set out to blast SATTSO for being abrasive in his post so I wrote a snotty response.

Then I sat back and edited it, and I re-read the airline policy I had (the FARs dont address where the tag goes and in fact dont even require a tag)
Well, thanks for not blasting me. Made for a much better day on my part. But I'm kind of curious, where was I being "abrasive"?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by StanSimmons
Why would luggage, even with a firearm, not be able to be forwarded after it was opened? That makes no sense.
Its only the luggage with a firearm inside, and because it is not locked. Which is an FAA requirement. Not sure if airline policy is simply that because of the FAA, or if they collectively actively wish that, too.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
So, why would the airline give my property to the police?
Because the airline will not take possession of firearms or similar items as they would other items.

For example, if TSA discovers a flammable aerosol in your checked luggage that is not allowed, and the airline can not get hold of you, TSA does not keep the item, the airline takes possession of you. The name on the destination take and flight info is recorded, and if the passenger contacts the airline, they can try to have their aerosol shipped to them the proper way.

However, some things they will not take possession of. Often, more so depending upon the time of year, we find stray bullets in bags, no guns, just bullets. Again, TSA does not take possession of the bullet, NOR will the airline. The airport LEO takes it. This is actually pretty common throughout the year - stray bullets. And lets call them unsecured firearms, with no passenger to be had, well, it will not go, the police will take it.

We do find firearms not properly secured. The last one I found was a .45 rolled in news paper. The police went down to the gate, and got the man who's bag it was. But now imagine the situation I am describing where the bag is shipped to the wrong location, the lock is cut because the bag has to be re-screened - and there is no passenger there. The police will be given the gun.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
But now imagine the situation I am describing where the bag is shipped to the wrong location, the lock is cut because the bag has to be re-screened - and there is no passenger there. The police will be given the gun.
And, again, it's the airline who will have a lot of explaining to do: (a) why the bag was sent to the wrong destination in the first place, and (b) why the bag was allowed to exit the sterile area in the first place, necessitating the re-screening.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:09 pm

Yikes a .45 rolled in news paper.

Responsibility is a big part of gun ownership IMHO.

Dan
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And, again, it's the airline who will have a lot of explaining to do: (a) why the bag was sent to the wrong destination in the first place, and (b) why the bag was allowed to exit the sterile area in the first place, necessitating the re-screening.
I agree, a low level employee will be punished.

But how does that change what I said will happen? All I was doing was stating what could possibly happen - not saying which airline employee will be punished. And yes, the airline might pay to have the firearm shipped. But the passenger will still have to take time out of their schedule to handle all of that... changes nothing of what I said.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by dan1431
Yikes a .45 rolled in news paper.

Responsibility is a big part of gun ownership IMHO.

Dan
He wasn't arrested. I don't even think the police gave him a citation, which is their call. I believe he was fined by the FAA, and perhaps TSA.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:04 pm

We do find firearms not properly secured. The last one I found was a .45 rolled in news paper. The police went down to the gate, and got the man who's bag it was. But now imagine the situation I am describing where the bag is shipped to the wrong location, the lock is cut because the bag has to be re-screened - and there is no passenger there. The police will be given the gun.
In violation of federal law. The airline just transferred a gun that they had no legal ownership of to a third party.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:04 pm

I agree, a low level employee will be punished.

But how does that change what I said will happen? All I was doing was stating what could possibly happen - not saying which airline employee will be punished. And yes, the airline might pay to have the firearm shipped. But the passenger will still have to take time out of their schedule to handle all of that... changes nothing of what I said.
Except that the airline cannot legally ship the firearm. The only legal thing that the airline can do is bring the owner of the firearm to the firearm and then they can travel together.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:19 pm

Its only the luggage with a firearm inside, and because it is not locked. Which is an FAA requirement. Not sure if airline policy is simply that because of the FAA, or if they collectively actively wish that, too.
It would only be unlocked if you (TSA) ignored the FAR and opened the luggage without the passenger present. This is why I have very good locks that most bolt cutters can't touch.... and my name and number etched near the locks.

Of course, the TSA could relock the hypothetical luggage with one of the many locks that they "forget" to put back on opened bags daily and ship it on to the rightful owner.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:30 pm

Except that the airline cannot legally ship the firearm. The only legal thing that the airline can do is bring the owner of the firearm to the firearm and then they can travel together.
Sorry, I have seen it happen where the police take possession of a firearm in the situation I describe. And it actually makes sense, in a way. When the police get there, its at the point where the case is no longer locked - and the gun can not fly if its not locked. Do you really think the airline will buy a lock for the passenger even if its their mistake?? Since when do airlines treat passengers nicely?

I am guessing as to whether or not a gun will be shipped. Once at that point, its beyond TSA's hands.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:32 pm

I do understand what your saying...but again, I have seen it. And I could imagine the airline flying the passenger to that airport. However, as I was pointing out to those who say stick a gun in there to solve your problems - that would be a much worse situation, wouldn't it?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by StanSimmons
It would only be unlocked if you (TSA) ignored the FAR and opened the luggage without the passenger present. This is why I have very good locks that most bolt cutters can't touch.... and my name and number etched near the locks.

Of course, the TSA could relock the hypothetical luggage with one of the many locks that they "forget" to put back on opened bags daily and ship it on to the rightful owner.
No, your not reading what I am saying. I am describing a rare situation. How would we know a firearm is in there in the situation I describe?

lol as to your other comment, yes, sometimes locks are left off. I know I have done it. It does happen. Yet, you also know we cant put someone's lock on another persons bag. Or are you suggesting 2 wrongs make a right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.