Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking firearms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
No, your not reading what I am saying. I am describing a rare situation. How would we know a firearm is in there in the situation I describe?

lol as to your other comment, yes, sometimes locks are left off. I know I have done it. It does happen. Yet, you also know we cant put someone's lock on another persons bag. Or are you suggesting 2 wrongs make a right?
I guess the poster is basically saying that the TSA should be more careful with people's possessions. Locks, like anything else cost money and the fact that you or others forget (which is human) costs us money.

It would be nice if the TSA had a program in place to re-imburse us (the flying public) when their agents forget to replace locks, but I do realize that would be a nightmare to administer.

Back on-topic, I was talking with a colleague who recently checked his gun and was more annoyed by what the TSA agent said to him rather than the process of checking the gun.

Apparently, the agent screened the gun and said something to effect of, you do not really need a gun anymore since we (I guess the Federal Government) are entrusted with keeping you safe.

As my colleague said, I realize that guns in airports are a touchy subject and that a little extra attention is going to be given to me because I am checking my gun and that is fine by me (him) but the commentary from the agent was really not needed.

That has been my point from day 1, I understand that there are going to be rules (whether I like them, lump or think they are stupid) but the general disrespect that I see from so many TSA agents is what bothers me. Laptops out (okay) but to bark at an old woman who may not know the rules, just seems mean. Or making a comment, oh I hope he "enjoys" his secondary because a gentleman opted out of the AIT machine, just seems wrong. Or telling my colleague that he does need a gun anymore because they are keeping us safe.

Do your job, follow the rules, but be respectful and avoid commentary unless it is solicited. I do my job and manage to be polite and avoid commentary, I am unsure why so many TSA agents find it impossible.

Dan

Last edited by dan1431; Jun 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by dan1431
I guess the poster is basically saying that the TSA should be more careful with people's possessions. Locks, like anything else cost money and the fact that you or others forget (which is human) costs us money.

It would be nice if the TSA had a program in place to re-imburse us (the flying public) when their agents forget to replace locks, but I do realize that would be a nightmare to administer.

Back on-topic, I was talking with a colleague who recently checked his gun and was more annoyed by what the TSA agent said to him rather than the process of checking the gun.

Apparently, the agent screened the gun and said something to effect of, you do not really need a gun anymore since we (I guess the Federal Government) are entrusted with keeping you safe.

As my colleague said, I realize that guns in airports are a touchy subject and that a little extra attention is going to be given to me because I am checking my gun and that is fine by me (him) but the commentary from the agent was really not needed.

That has been my point from day 1, I understand that there are going to be rules (whether I like them, lump or think they are stupid) but the general disrespect that I see from so many TSA agents is what bothers me. Laptops out (okay) but to bark at an old woman who may not know the rules, just seems mean. Or making a comment, oh I hope he "enjoys" his secondary because a gentleman opted out of the AIT machine, just seems wrong. Or telling my colleague that he does need a gun anymore because they are keeping us safe.

Do your job, follow the rules, but be respectful and avoid commentary unless it is solicited. I do my job and manage to be polite and avoid commentary, I am unsure why so many TSA agents find it impossible.

Dan

I agree: if TSA employees loose the lock, TSA should pay for a replacement. But again, I was describing a rare situation when the airline ships the bag to the wrong airport, and lets it sit lobby side. Then the bag has to be rescreened. In some airports, this might mean the bag has to be open. If it is locked, obviously the passenger isn't there to open it, so the lock has to be cut.

And those comments you mention are wrong. It shouldn't be tolerated, yet, sadly, too often it is.

The following is my opinion, nothing I have heard from TSA management, or any other TSA staff: Part of the problem with TSA is how it was created by Congress. I do believe there is a need for screening. I would change some of it, eliminate some of the staff/equipment, but I do believe there is a need. Thus, people are needed to fill those positions...

We have talked before about what at TSO earns. The first 2 years are TOUGH. After that, if the TSO has a decent record, meaning they have not been written up, tardy too often, etc., they are "promoted" to another pay band. Add the locality, differential, holiday pay, and after just 2 years experience they can make $40 to $45k a year. Not a lot, but not bad. After a few more years they can make even more. There are some TSO's who decide to work some over time, maybe 5 hours a week (45 a week total), who pull $55 to $60,000 a year. Again, not rich by a long shot, but still not bad. And all without an actual promotion, meaning they have 1 stripe. Now add just 1 or 2 promotions, and you can actually do fairly well. I am sure some 1, 2, and 3 stripe TSO's make more than some who post on this site (not that it means anything, but money does provide for quality of life in some ways).

Yet congress set it up so people with just GEDs can get these jobs. What congress did was to bring jobs to mostly low-income people, many without a higher education. Again, this is my opinion. I believe congress did this so that individual MoC could tell the poor in their district they brought them X many jobs, and federal money to their city/county/state.

When TSA was created, it was created by politicians. Personally, I would have had a professional organization already school in screening found TSA as a non-LEO addition to their force, such as the Secret Service, or Capital Police, as those are federal agencies, but that is just me. Politicians saw their chance, and they took it, and a new agency was created. I believe many of the problems originate from there.

It would have been easy to set the requirement not at just a high school diploma, but a minimum of 2 years college experience or equivalent. Perhaps higher? Yet we have people who have never studied government, American political theory (something I believe should be part of every TSA employees educational foundation), or even law.

Do not misunderstand me. I have met some of the best people I have ever worked with, while at TSA. I have also met some people I am happy to never see again - and as far as I am concerned, those people grew up uneducated (sort of not their fault), and they remain uneducated (entirely their fault).

Part of the problem TSA has is the perception of pay. As many have post here on many different threads, they think its very low. Again, first 2 years it is. But it does get much better, yet no one seems to know - which is TSA's fault.

I remember a thread started in December, I believe, where the most senior TSO from Chicago (?) was complaining about not making enough money - that he had to work as much over time as he could, and still couldn't make ends meet. It upset me, because I figured out that working an average of 1 1/2 overtime shifts a week (6 OT shifts a month, approximately) he pulled about $65 to $70,000 a year. A 1 stripe employee making that, and complaining...

TSA does need to do a better job letting the public know that the can have a decent living working as a screener. However, I will state that overall I enjoy working for TSA, and overall most of the employees I have met are positive, helpful people.

Again, all above is my opinion, nothing I have heard from any TSA employee.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet congress set it up so people with just GEDs can get these jobs.
Nothing is preventing the TSA from instituting higher standards.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: United
How would we know a firearm is in there in the situation I describe?
If only we had something that would allow a TSO to look into our bags without having to open them....I know, we could call them X-Rays.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:36 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
In violation of federal law. The airline just transferred a gun that they had no legal ownership of to a third party.
You mean to the police?

You can 'transfer' firearms to the police. No FFL is needed for that.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Well, thanks for not blasting me. Made for a much better day on my part. But I'm kind of curious, where was I being "abrasive"?
It was the caps that set the tone for me..... I took it as a 'snotty' response.

I typed one heck of a scathing response. Deleted it and re read the OP and realized I was on the wrong track.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:43 pm

I do understand what your saying...but again, I have seen it. And I could imagine the airline flying the passenger to that airport. However, as I was pointing out to those who say stick a gun in there to solve your problems - that would be a much worse situation, wouldn't it?
A situation caused by the airlines and made worse by the TSA. But, let us look at it.

My case gets sent to the wrong airport. The TSA decides that they have to cut the locks off even though the TSA website says that they won't. So, far we have the TSA destroying private property.
Now the TSO freaks out and says that the gun can no longer fly since the case is no longer locked.
They then decide to give my property over to the police. The government now has possession of my property through no fault of my own. That is generally called theft.
Many police departments have a policy of never returning guns to a citizen. In this case I'm out thousands of dollars. Or maybe New York City will decide that I can only get my gun back if I get a New York City permit without concern that a normal person cannot do that.
So, I have to sue. I'm now out many thousands of dollars for a lawyer and even if I have a court order to return it, the cops still might not.

So, I'm out thousands of dollars, my security is compromised, and all of this just for security theater.

You say that you need to re-screen it because it was in the non-sterile area of the airport. But we know that items go in that cargo hold without being screened. Why destroy my property and cost me thousands of dollars while putting it right next to a USPS package that has never been screened?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by billinaz
You mean to the police?

You can 'transfer' firearms to the police. No FFL is needed for that.
Can you show me the provision of the Gun Control Act that would allow a non-licensed individual to transfer a Title 1 firearm to a police department?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:07 pm

A situation caused by the airlines and made worse by the TSA. But, let us look at it.

My case gets sent to the wrong airport. The TSA decides that they have to cut the locks off even though the TSA website says that they won't. So, far we have the TSA destroying private property.
Now the TSO freaks out and says that the gun can no longer fly since the case is no longer locked.
They then decide to give my property over to the police. The government now has possession of my property through no fault of my own. That is generally called theft.
Many police departments have a policy of never returning guns to a citizen. In this case I'm out thousands of dollars. Or maybe New York City will decide that I can only get my gun back if I get a New York City permit without concern that a normal person cannot do that.
So, I have to sue. I'm now out many thousands of dollars for a lawyer and even if I have a court order to return it, the cops still might not.

So, I'm out thousands of dollars, my security is compromised, and all of this just for security theater.

You say that you need to re-screen it because it was in the non-sterile area of the airport. But we know that items go in that cargo hold without being screened. Why destroy my property and cost me thousands of dollars while putting it right next to a USPS package that has never been screened?
I think the term you are looking for is 'safekeeping'.

If the firearm is private property, and you can own it lawfully then the police will return it to you.

I see this happen on a regular basis.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tom M.
Nothing is preventing the TSA from instituting higher standards.
The ATSA does.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:08 pm

If only we had something that would allow a TSO to look into our bags without having to open them....I know, we could call them X-Rays.
You assume every airport has this? Most do, some do not. Why would you assume that?

And for those that do they can clear the bag MOST of the time - not always.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:10 pm

It was the caps that set the tone for me..... I took it as a 'snotty' response.

I typed one heck of a scathing response. Deleted it and re read the OP and realized I was on the wrong track.
No worries: I use the caps to emphasize words. In all seriousness, if I'm doing that incorrectly, let me know and I will change.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:11 pm

I was describing a rare situation when the airline ships the bag to the wrong airport, and lets it sit lobby side.
And my point is this: the consequence of this for the airline are so dire, that the airlines seem to move heaven and earth to make sure that this doesn't happen. Sure, lost luggage happens. It happens with ordinary luggage all the time. But, somehow, "magically", the number of times it happens when firearms are checked (in accordance with all applicable regulations) is incredibly small.

Gee, I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because the airlines treat luggage containing firearms with greater care than "ordinary" luggage. Which is precisely the point of the exercise.

Is it a guarantee? Of course not. Nothing's guaranteed about airline travel. But this technique seems to improve the odds of getting your bag bag substantially.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:12 pm

Again, some here are NOT understanding what I am saying. You are talking about something I am not. lol I give up.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:13 pm

I think the term you are looking for is 'safekeeping'.

If the firearm is private property, and you can own it lawfully then the police will return it to you.

I see this happen on a regular basis.
And I have seen many cases where it hasn't. Look at New Orleans where the police still haven't returned all of the guns that they illegally seized. And this is just as bad since it is one government agency making the weapons unsecure so that another government agency can have an excuse to 'safekeep' them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.