Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking firearms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by SATTSO
You assume every airport has this? Most do, some do not. Why would you assume that?

And for those that do they can clear the bag MOST of the time - not always.
Name one airport that doesn't have a single X-Ray machine.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:16 pm

Again, some here are NOT understanding what I am saying. You are talking about something I am not. lol I give up.
I know what you are saying. You are saying that just because we have a gun in the case doesn't mean that you guys won't cut into it. I'm saying that cutting into it opens you and your agency to some risks.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:23 pm

And those comments you mention are wrong. It shouldn't be tolerated, yet, sadly, too often it is.
You are right they are wrong, but there is a problem I complain and I am blown off. There is mentality that I (the flying public) have no idea what I am talking about and that well, if I do not support TSA than I am against TSA.

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
A situation caused by the airlines and made worse by the TSA. But, let us look at it.

My case gets sent to the wrong airport. The TSA decides that they have to cut the locks off even though the TSA website says that they won't. So, far we have the TSA destroying private property.
Now the TSO freaks out and says that the gun can no longer fly since the case is no longer locked.
They then decide to give my property over to the police. The government now has possession of my property through no fault of my own. That is generally called theft.
Many police departments have a policy of never returning guns to a citizen. In this case I'm out thousands of dollars. Or maybe New York City will decide that I can only get my gun back if I get a New York City permit without concern that a normal person cannot do that.
So, I have to sue. I'm now out many thousands of dollars for a lawyer and even if I have a court order to return it, the cops still might not.
It sucks, there is no two ways about it, it is the risk I take whenever I check my gun.

Something is clearly wrong, they (the airlines or TSA or both) should have a method for fixing mistakes. Either they (the airlines/TSA) don't care, have decided it is too expensive or lord knows.

Either way, we the flying public are out dollars (in physical property) and short of a miracle very little is going to change it.

I guess you can call me a Kettle/Sheeple/Whathave you, but I have resided myself to such sucky situations. Maybe I shouldn't but I have and while I agree it is not right, I know nothing is going to change it.

Dan

PS, I was talking with an airport cop (who moonlights as a security guard at my office) whom I am friendly with and he said that he (on TSA's request) has confiscated three guns from the airport he patrols due to broken locks, etc. Each and every time he has tried to reunite the gun with its owner. This cop is a genuinely good guy, he even drove one of the confiscated guns upto the owners house in the Northern end of county so the pax would not be out $$$.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. It is not. People on this thread misunderstand what actually happens. Yes, the carrier calls law enforcement to the scene, but is is law enforcement that seizes the unaccompanied firearm. It is then up to the firearm's rightful owner, that is the pax, to claim it from law enforcement.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:33 pm

I know what you are saying. You are saying that just because we have a gun in the case doesn't mean that you guys won't cut into it. I'm saying that cutting into it opens you and your agency to some risks.
No, what I am saying is that we wouldn't know there is a gun in the bag....
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
No. It is not. People on this thread misunderstand what actually happens. Yes, the carrier calls law enforcement to the scene, but is is law enforcement that seizes the unaccompanied firearm. It is then up to the firearm's rightful owner, that is the pax, to claim it from law enforcement.
"nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law"

Then the cops are opening themselves up for a civil rights lawsuit.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:39 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Like the risk of having to pay for lost property? Its about the only risk they take.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
"nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law"

Then the cops are opening themselves up for a civil rights lawsuit.
Um, no.

They can take custody of the weapons as part of their community caretaking function. Once an owner is identified who can lawfully possess the firearm then it is returned to him.

If the police dont believe that the owner is allowed to take possession of the firearm, then that is what the court is for (due process).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Quite correct, except that it isnt a seizure. They are taking custody of it until the owner can be determined.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:49 pm

And I have seen many cases where it hasn't. Look at New Orleans where the police still haven't returned all of the guns that they illegally seized. And this is just as bad since it is one government agency making the weapons unsecure so that another government agency can have an excuse to 'safekeep' them.
Firearms seized during a state of emergency. Was it right, I say no. The courts agreed.

The problem came in when they could not identify the owners of the firearms.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:55 pm

No worries: I use the caps to emphasize words. In all seriousness, if I'm doing that incorrectly, let me know and I will change.
Nah, I think I just took it the wrong way...... you know how typing doesnt convey the message sometimes.

I'll look you up the next time we go thru SAT.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:00 pm

Can you show me the provision of the Gun Control Act that would allow a non-licensed individual to transfer a Title 1 firearm to a police department?
Simple.

police=government.

as part of their government responsibility, governments can secure firearms.

are you suggesting that anyone who comes across a firearm must find an FFL at 3AM?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by billinaz
Um, no.

They can take custody of the weapons as part of their community caretaking function. Once an owner is identified who can lawfully possess the firearm then it is returned to him.

If the police dont believe that the owner is allowed to take possession of the firearm, then that is what the court is for (due process).
Owner's name is right there on the luggage tag. They have nothing to identify, and as pointed out the government cannot take advantage of a situation that they created to take an action that they otherwise would not be able to take.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:52 pm

Owner's name is right there on the luggage tag. They have nothing to identify, and as pointed out the government cannot take advantage of a situation that they created to take an action that they otherwise would not be able to take.
Lets not try to make a big govt conspiracy where none exists.

The bottom line is that when a firearm is discovered with no owner present, the appropriate thing to do is turn it over to the police for safekeeping.

If the gun is in an unlocked bag, its not flying.

We all take that risk when traveling with firearms.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by billinaz
Lets not try to make a big govt conspiracy where none exists.

The bottom line is that when a firearm is discovered with no owner present, the appropriate thing to do is turn it over to the police for safekeeping.

If the gun is in an unlocked bag, its not flying.

We all take that risk when traveling with firearms.
Except it was the government that made it unsecured. If one department breaks down a house's door on accident, another department doesn't get to go in and take anything that they want. They secure the door, they don't take the jewelry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.