Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Anyone else on this flight tonight? 30 minutes outside of SFO a passenger from the back rushed the cockpit yelling "allah Ackbar"! several passengers chased him and tackled him in first as the flight attendant yelled for help. One of the first times I was glad I didnt get an upgrade. Scary time!
Old May 9, 2011, 12:22 am

I was on this flight in first class. I actually was supposed to be on the 8:45 pm flight out of ORD but since my connection landed early, I managed to get onto 1561.

The guy next to me who was an AA employee was the first person to go help the flight attendant...thank the soul...plus all the other passengers who helped. Surreal experience and apparently this was not the first one for the day. Supposedly someone tried to open a door on a flight from NM that got redirected to ORD.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:33 am
Original Poster

yeah I had my headphones on, was in 15f, and no clue what happened till after. have logged alot of miles this year and feel like I need a break after that. Guy was still screaming "allah ackbar"(sic) when strapped into the gurney outside. Travel is not glorious and miles sometimes dont seem very improtant!
Old May 9, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Did they tow the plane out to a remote area, or did they offload him in the terminal?
Old May 9, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Welp, I was wrong. I admit I was colored by the two first time posters.

Last edited by dartagnan; May 9, 2011 at 5:39 am
Old May 9, 2011, 12:52 am
Original Poster

nebie poster, posted a few years back but not new to FT. Did not tow to remote hanger. Was on SAN Francisco local news as late breaking, two hours after. Call BS but it wasnt...
Old May 9, 2011, 12:58 am
Original Poster

What was the danger? A middle eastern man, with a Passport from Yemen(according to the cops outside the gate), running up the aisle yelling Allah Ackbar is not dangerous? Here he is on the stretcher outside the plane. Not sure why its not more of a news story yet was just checking in to let people know and see other accounts if any. Dont be so damn snarky, I have over 32000 miles on AA this year so not like I am a newbie to all this. In fact was hoping AA would compensate us for the scare by letting me get the double eqm promo for this flight even though I booked it a week and a half ago.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, VS Silver, HY Diamond, HI Gold, SPG Gold
FWIW, SF Bay Area CBS affiliate KPIX (Channel 5) did report on the incident on tonight's 11 p.m. news.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by jetsetr
FWIW, SF Bay Area CBS affiliate KPIX (Channel 5) did report on the incident on tonight's 11 p.m. news.
Couldn't find it on any of the local news websites (those of network affiliates), but if it shows up I'll stand corrected. Also, just want to confirm you're talking about this flight, since there were two other diversions that made the news, one from IAH to ORD with a diversion to STL, the other from DTW to SAN with a diversion to ABQ.

Last edited by JumboD; May 9, 2011 at 1:15 am
Old May 9, 2011, 1:15 am
Original Poster

I just actually called WGN in Chicago to report it. She was amazed it wasnt out there either but I gave name and phone number to them and they are contacting people at American. I hate to say it but you will stand corrected. Not sure why this isnt bigger news yet. Certainly is to me.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:18 am
Original Poster

He did not appear to be injured but SFO news did say he was at the hospital. I would not pick my first post in eons to be a hoax or something stupid and alarmist. I think the lack of news on this is one reason I decided to post. no hard feelings on my side by the way.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Hinsdale123
He did not appear to be injured but SFO news did say he was at the hospital. I would not pick my first post in eons to be a hoax or something stupid and alarmist. I think the lack of news on this is one reason I decided to post. no hard feelings on my side by the way.
Well, in that case, I'd be most concerned about why a standby and an employee got F and your upgrade went uncleared and you flew coach . I think that would be the ultimate "Larry David" email to AA CS.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Hinsdale123
<redacted by moderator> AA personnel at SFO have confirmed the details pretty much as you posted them.

Last edited by JDiver; May 9, 2011 at 7:19 am Reason: two ad hominems don't make a right
Old May 9, 2011, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks Eagles. Life is to short to worry about the petty crap, as I realized after this incident. Besides its probably why I dont post on her just like to read and keep up to date usually! Unfortunately now I cant sleep and wondering if my wife giving me hell for leaving for work travel on Mothers Day wasnt a sign! : )
Old May 9, 2011, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
well youre a far bigger man than your accusers- this place is so nasty and useless sometimes. AA personnel at SFO have confirmed the details pretty much as you posted them.
Are you at SFO? In touch with employees there in some other way? The frequent AA flyer in me (even more than the cynic) would really like to know what went down and what the official word is. I keep refreshing all the news sites and still can't find any information on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.