Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by Hinsdale123
The Female FA was very stern after they subdued him. Seat belts on, electronics away, etc... Tensions were high and they were just trying to get and keep control and calm. Also if I am guessing the guy who got told this was standing as we were on approach with a cell phone camera, two no-no's on any flight as we all know. Anyways, thanks for those also who gave this over 5 year lurker support on this post! Safe Travels!
Thanks for the additional insight. I completely agree if someone was out of their seat filming during this, but if I was 3E, sitting, I'd be filming up until they specifically asked for all electronic devices to be retired, even then if there was resistance or the guy was fighting, I'd still film it for protection of the crew and for police, but that's just me. I'd use my judgement to determine what was best.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta, United
Yet another unruly passenger - AA 1561

(CNN) -- The unruly passenger who had to be restrained aboard an American Airlines flight to San Francisco appears to have "mental issues," a law enforcement source said Monday.
Rageit al Murisi was "pounding on the cockpit door" minutes before he was subdued on American Airlines Flight 1561 on Sunday night, said Sgt. Michael Rodriguez.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/09...ex.html?hpt=T2
Old May 9, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
(CNN) -- The unruly passenger who had to be restrained aboard an American Airlines flight to San Francisco appears to have "mental issues," a law enforcement source said Monday.
Rageit al Murisi was "pounding on the cockpit door" minutes before he was subdued on American Airlines Flight 1561 on Sunday night, said Sgt. Michael Rodriguez.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/09...ex.html?hpt=T2
Must be all of those "sleeper cells" waking up following the whacking of OBL...
Old May 9, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by JDiver
1) Was the passenger able to convince the crew to fly to the destination so he could get full EQM?[/FONT]
Perhaps he was pissed that he didnt qualify for the DECSL promotion AA recently announced from ORD-SFO.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:06 am
Suspended

So there aren't any BDOs in Chicago, either?
Old May 9, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I sure hope all these "unruly" passengers are permanently added to the Do Not Fly List.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by Caradoc
That was my first thought too. Can we get some of our investment back on this junk science program if they aren't even going to identify this guy, the person that wrote the "bomb" note (and left it in the lav) and the guy trying to open up the emergency door midflight?
Old May 9, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
That was my first thought too. Can we get some of our investment back on this junk science program if they aren't even going to identify this guy, the person that wrote the "bomb" note (and left it in the lav) and the guy trying to open up the emergency door midflight?

He wasn't concealing any liquids in his carry-on bag and he testicles "felt" fine to the TSO. What else is TSA supposed to do???
Old May 9, 2011, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mulieri
What else is TSA supposed to do???
http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/bdo/index.shtm

The Behavior Detection Officer (BDO) program utilizes non-intrusive behavior observation and analysis techniques to identify potentially high-risk passengers. BDOs are designed to detect individuals exhibiting behaviors that indicate they may be a threat to aviation and/or transportation security.
Epic fail on the part of the SPOTniks.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
It might be possible now that FAs will say to only use the lavatory in the cabin in which you are seated and actually start enforcing it.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Murisi was quickly restrained by employees and passengers, according to American Airlines spokesman Tim Smith.
\

I guess pax really do react, proving that TSA is not the "last line of defense".

I am a bit confused as to why so many of these Isolated Incidents™ have occurred within the last few days..
Old May 9, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Yes, there is some of them outside at security checkpoints.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, there is some of them outside at security checkpoints.
And yet those SPOTniks didn't manage to stop this deranged person from getting on a plane with nefarious intent.

Interesting.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I think he would have to have mental issues if he failed to recognize that pounding on the cockpit door and yelling 30 minutes prior to landing is not a good idea for anyone at this moment in history -- especially if you hold a Yemeni passport.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
\

I guess pax really do react, proving that TSA is not the "last line of defense".

I am a bit confused as to why so many of these Isolated Incidents™ have occurred within the last few days..
It is simply a matter of which ones the press pick up on and what big stories are occupying the news cycle.

Go back a few weeks prior to OBL taken out, and I'm aware of several Isolated Incidents™ that didn't make national media, let alone local media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.