Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 8:01 am

Do you get more miles if the guy said God told him to do it vs, say, aliens? :-:
Old May 9, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Doubt?

[redacted quote and ad hominem response - moderator]

The link below will take you to the article that CNN wrote about this incident. The stories seem to match up pretty well.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/09...ex.html?hpt=T2

Last edited by JDiver; May 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm Reason: redacted quote and ad hominen response
Old May 9, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
In regards to the post where the FA said you'd get arrested if you kept taking photos, that's BS, isn't it? I think it's against AA policy to allow photos during flight of crew and crew duties, but it's not against the law.

Can anyone confirm? I'd be taking pictures of this no doubt just for record and possibly to help authorities if necessary. I'd be shooting video actually, but given the FAs words, I'd be confused as to whether to obey or not.

Can anyone confirm policy between law and AA here? I recall the monster thread on here of that guy taking photos of the beverage cart running over his foot and got stern threats from the FAs.

-BV
Old May 9, 2011, 8:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OK, friends, cut to the chase - I know what is on everyone's minds!

1) Was the passenger able to convince the crew to fly to the destination so he could get full EQM?

2) Will the removed disruptive passenger get miles for the gurney ride?

Friendly reminder: It does not pay to question and be confrontive merely because of a member's newness here. There are ways to question credibility without using ad hominem, and it may pay to wait a while before coming to a what may be a rash decision or judgment. Though some may not believe keeping FlyerTalk welcoming is particularly useful, it continues to be policy, which everyone here agreed to uphold when we were granted the privilege of membership. /Moderator hat on for this one
Old May 9, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K , HH Gold VIP, Hertz Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
I am surprised that this guy made it that far up the aisles. I have always said that only two things have made air travel safer:
1. Secure cockpits
2. Passengers and flight crew are unwilling to cooperate

Everything else is security theater.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It is clearly stated on aa.com, and has been so for many years - and discussed in this Forum as well. It at least used to be stated in the flying ragazine. Given it is a directive and crew gave it within the lawful performance of their duties, no B.S. "Against the law" - well, violating crew instructions (all passengers must comply with all information in the safety cards, all lighted information signs, all posted placards and all crew instructions is within an FAR, iirc,) may indeed be a violation of a Federal law, whether we like it or not.

"Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited." (sic)

Originally Posted by BrianV
In regards to the post where the FA said you'd get arrested if you kept taking photos, that's BS. I think it's against AA policy to allow photos during flight, but it's not against the law.

Can anyone confirm? I'd be taking pictures of this no doubt just for record and possibly to help authorities if necessary. I'd be shooting video actually, but given the FAs words, I'd be confused as to whether to obey or not.

Can anyone confirm policy between law and AA here. I recall the monster thread on here of that guy taking photos of the beverage cart running over his foot and got stern threats from the FAs.

-BV

Last edited by JDiver; May 9, 2011 at 8:35 am Reason: add
Old May 9, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by JDiver
1) Was the passenger able to convince the crew to fly to the destination so he could get full EQM?

I see some additional verbiage added to AA's policy, ".. if you are forcefully removed from flight, your mileage accrual will be divided up to those who took you out..."

If you made it EQM earnings, it would motivate mileage runners to kick some a$$
Old May 9, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K , HH Gold VIP, Hertz Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
OK, friends, cut to the chase - I know what is on everyone's minds!

Gold Jerry, Gold!
Old May 9, 2011, 8:16 am

It is clearly stated on aa.com, and has been so for many years - and discussed in this Forum as well. It at least used to be stated in the flying ragazine.

"Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited." (sic)
Yes, but AA.com isn't law. The originating question is basically, can AA have you arrested for not following their company policy? I know FAA policies like smoking in the lav are one thing backed by law, but standard company policies, I'm not sure.

At a certain point, it may be necessary to overlook AA "rules" when it's a potential threat to national security. I think it's important for us frequent travelers to know what the true line is here so we can act constructively and appropriately in such a situation.

PS - Per the earlier post, the FA said to stop taking photos unless you wanted to get arrested. That means she was insinuating that taking photos on an airplane is breaking the LAW.

Last edited by BrianV; May 9, 2011 at 8:19 am Reason: Added PS since I didn't quote the original post
Old May 9, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

One of the pax on flight to DFW now says he was aboard. Said pax reacted in lockstep to disturbed man and were applauded.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
The originating question is basically, can AA have you arrested for not following their company policy?
If the FA or another uniformed crew member gives you instructions to follow their company policy, you can and will be arrested. Outside of that, I dont believe the photograph portion is law.

In reality, you would need to really be pushing the issue to have them call ahead and have you taken off the plane in cuffs.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
If the FA or another uniformed crew member gives you instructions to follow their company policy, you can and will be arrested. Outside of that, I dont believe the photograph portion is law.

In reality, you would need to really be pushing the issue to have them call ahead and have you taken off the plane in cuffs.
I've heard this before, that we must follow their orders, but it's definitely a grey area. In this case, I don't think anyone was wrong to snap photos, even after she said stop.

Some quick google'ing does seem to show it's against federal law to disobey a flight attendant. It's vague, but that pretty much sums it up. Like you said though, I doubt charges would be formally pressed by authorities or AA in a situation like this.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I've heard this before, that we must follow their orders, but it's definitely a grey area. In this case, I don't think anyone was wrong to snap photos, even after she said stop.
I agree - it becomes black when you dont follow crewmember's instructions, which is probably their catchall for "follow the rules."

I would have taken pictures if some nutbag ran up the middle of the plane screaming stuff that made it seem like he was trying to blow it up.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, VS Silver, HY Diamond, HI Gold, SPG Gold
[redacted unnecessary quotes - moderator]

http://www.npr.org/tablet/#story/?storyId=136133158
(Tablet version)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=136133158
(desktop version)

[redacted personal exchange - moderator]

Last edited by magic111; May 9, 2011 at 9:56 am Reason: redacted personal exchange
Old May 9, 2011, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The Female FA was very stern after they subdued him. Seat belts on, electronics away, etc... Tensions were high and they were just trying to get and keep control and calm. Also if I am guessing the guy who got told this was standing as we were on approach with a cell phone camera, two no-no's on any flight as we all know. Anyways, thanks for those also who gave this over 5 year lurker support on this post! Safe Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.