Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
And once again a quote from a passenger seeing their lives flash before their eyes
Old May 9, 2011, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Hinsdale123
What was the danger? A middle eastern man, with a Passport from Yemen(according to the cops outside the gate), running up the aisle yelling Allah Ackbar is not dangerous? Here he is on the stretcher outside the plane.
How did he pose a danger to you?
Old May 9, 2011, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOHarold
After the guy was subdued, the flight attendants kept yelling for everyone to sit down. Some people took pictures with their phones and a flight attendant said, "If you want to get arrested when we land, you will keep on taking pictures."
Now... I have no problem believing this.
You cannot be charged for taking pictures simply because a FA tells you not to. There is no such law.
Yes, I know about the "Failing to comply" part, but that doesn't mean I legally have to tie my shoes if a FA tells me to tie my shoes, or eat my veggies, simply because an FA told me not to. This is abuse of authority, and I would have no fear taking pictures of such an incident. It would also be a restriction of freedom of press. Even though not a member of a news organization, I have the right to take pictures of a news event.

Last edited by mvoight; May 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm
Old May 9, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I hope they beat the **** out of him. Maybe they can add nutcases to the no-fly list as the current list doesn't seem to be very useful.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If they did this, it would add a layer of genuine security and watchfulness.

Originally Posted by BrianV
I see some additional verbiage added to AA's policy, ".. if you are forcefully removed from flight, your mileage accrual will be divided up to those who took you out..."

If you made it EQM earnings, it would motivate mileage runners to kick some a$$
Old May 9, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by mvoight
How did he pose a danger to you?
I'm having troubles figuring out if this is a joke or not.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
And once again a quote from a passenger seeing their lives flash before their eyes
I'm not easily alarmed, but this would be a pretty intense thing to experience while a passenger on a plane. After the fact, we can read a minor article about this and see the guy is probably crazy and that he acted alone.

Those onboard, however, had no idea what was happening, and they had reason to believe it might end in violence. Even one unarmed crazy guy can be pretty dangerous when everyone is packed into a flying aluminum tube.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
In my best Nigel Tufnel voice: For those in First Class, did this effect the beverage service?

If so, did you receive any premium drink chits for the club?

On a separate subject, perhaps more than a curtain is required to keep coach passengers from coming into first class. It seems to get more challenging every year to maintain the appropriate separation.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Score8
In my best Nigel Tufnel voice: For those in First Class, did this effect the beverage service?

If so, did you receive any premium drink chits for the club?

On a separate subject, perhaps more than a curtain is required to keep coach passengers from coming into first class. It seems to get more challenging every year to maintain the appropriate separation.
On AA, it seems that Y passengers are allowed to go to use the F lavatory. On flights with video, the automated announcement says to only use the lavatory in your cabin on international flights to the US.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I know this is FT and I know we have some of our favorite jokes, but can we please refrain from using them in this situation? Whether this was a mentally unstable individual or truly a thwarted act of terrorism, I personally view it as rather serious and concerning. It appears over the weekend that multiple flights were affected by "security concerns" and at this point in time I find it poor taste to be making light of these situations.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
It is simply a matter of which ones the press pick up on and what big stories are occupying the news cycle.

Go back a few weeks prior to OBL taken out, and I'm aware of several Isolated Incidents™ that didn't make national media, let alone local media.
Great point - just one more instance of media and DHS trying to instill fear in the flying public. I saw a headline today, Drudge I think:
USA Freakout: Terror Fears; False Alarms

I am trying to recall another time other than 9/11 with this much pandaemonium.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by emma dog
I know this is FT and I know we have some of our favorite jokes, but can we please refrain from using them in this situation? Whether this was a mentally unstable individual or truly a thwarted act of terrorism, I personally view it as rather serious and concerning. It appears over the weekend that multiple flights were affected by "security concerns" and at this point in time I find it poor taste to be making light of these situations.
What other flights had similar disturbances?
Old May 9, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by austin_modern
If the FA or another uniformed crew member gives you instructions to follow their company policy, you can and will be arrested. Outside of that, I dont believe the photograph portion is law.

In reality, you would need to really be pushing the issue to have them call ahead and have you taken off the plane in cuffs.
No, if you do not comply with their instructions, they may call the authorities and accuse you of such, but it will be up to those authorities to decide if a law was actually violated and if an arrest should be made. I'm sure the actual statute is a little more intricate than the one liner on the safety video about complying with crew member instructions.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
\

I guess pax really do react, proving that TSA is not the "last line of defense".

I am a bit confused as to why so many of these Isolated Incidents™ have occurred within the last few days..

because they are reporting these instances now, because they want to expand their Police State. And the only way to do that would be to have a bunch of incidents they can point to and say 'see!'
Old May 9, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by LGAoverJFK
What other flights had similar disturbances?
http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_t...t-reads-1.html

AA1561 ORD-SFO, as described here

DL1706, DET-SAN. Diverted to ABQ for a search and security screening, rumored to be a bomb threat note seen in the lav.

CO546 IAH-ORD, diverted to STL. Man rushed the cockpit then tried to open the door saying he had to get off the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.