Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disruptive passenger incident on AA 1561 ORD to SFO May 8 2011

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
****News Flash****

The man was charges with interfering of the flight crew and etc. SO here the link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7490DY20110510

The man was tries to open the exit doors. He could being banned flying on the commercial airplanes for existence rest his miserable life. He will sentences for 10 years in federal prisons and enjoy the times in prisons, dude.
+1

Originally Posted by TamCaP
It seems the person was trying to open emergency door, not cockpit door. BTW, based on the information available, I could wager a guess of some sort of mental instability... in that case he doesn't need 10 years of supermax, but proper treatment and care...
These guys never respond to treatment. I'd rather lock them up and keep them off my planes forever. Send the right message to those who have relatives that are insane - don't let them fly. Good riddance.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Confusion

There is some confusion about what happened on AA 1561. The guy who tried to open the exit door was on a Continental flight. The flight being discussed in this thread is an American Airlines flight. In fact, this is a flight I have taken a few times.

San Jose Mercury News story, with the wrong flight number. How they can get such a basic fact wrong is beyond me.

San Jose Mercury News story with passenger quotes and a few more details

Last edited by makfan; May 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm Reason: Add links
Old May 10, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

We have been prevented from any further outrages - not because of taking off our boots, our belts, our laptops or anything else but thanks to the vigilance and bravery of passengers and crew. Of course we cannot let these dreadful and wicked people dictate our lives but we cannot wait to find out whether this is a lunatic or someone who intends to take us all down. I will not go down without a fight, thrust me.

If you mean that we should not jump at every shadow, I agree with you, however we should be aware that the shadows exist and if they threaten to darken us we must react swiftly and positively.....
There's a world of armchair quarterbacks, pilots and FAs out here to help "judge" our responses to unexpected and/or rare events.

Our combined hope and belief is that while people will continue to go crazy/suicidal or attempt to hijack/disable/blow-up a plane; our collective response will be as the passengers and crew on this flight.

Chalk up another win for hardened doors and responsive crew/pax.
TSA/BDO - eh, not so much.
Old May 10, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1

These guys never respond to treatment. I'd rather lock them up and keep them off my planes forever. Send the right message to those who have relatives that are insane - don't let them fly. Good riddance.
Right. He will have to keep off the planes. He won't accepted flying on commercial airplanes for existence rest his miserable life. He need to get his treatment and he have go to physiological evaluation for 72 hours in the psych ward.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
According to Fox News in Boston a Delta flight MCO-BOS landing now had a passenger aboard who attempted to open the exit door. The flight apparently hasn't landed so no further details are available.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Score8
According to Fox News in Boston a Delta flight MCO-BOS landing now had a passenger aboard who attempted to open the exit door. The flight apparently hasn't landed so no further details are available.
Call me alarmist, but is anybody else wondering if they are seeing the reaction it gets from passengers and FAs and doing trial runs to see if they can use this as a diversion while someone else does something far worse on the plane?
Old May 11, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
Originally Posted by amygeorge
Call me alarmist, but is anybody else wondering if they are seeing the reaction it gets from passengers and FAs and doing trial runs to see if they can use this as a diversion while someone else does something far worse on the plane?
You are alarmist.
Old May 11, 2011, 5:55 pm

I think the TSA can easily prevent anything like this from happening again. They'll just snap on ankle chains before we board to keep us from running down the aisle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.