Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Newark TSO steals cash from wheelchair bound woman.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newark TSO steals cash from wheelchair bound woman.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
You do have to have a GED (which you can get in jail or juvie detention if need be) or, in case that's too much for you, at least one year of full-time work experience in security work or aviation screener work or with x-ray technician work will do the trick.

I imagine the majority of TSO's have a high school diploma plus, but the above isn't exactly setting the bar really high.
i had a screening manager who did not have a GED or graduate high school. i believe he still works there.
Old May 23, 2010, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sean5294
i had a screening manager who did not have a GED or graduate high school. i believe he still works there.
Wow, that speaks volumes!
Old May 23, 2010, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
You do have to have a GED (which you can get in jail or juvie detention if need be) or, in case that's too much for you, at least one year of full-time work experience in security work or aviation screener work or with x-ray technician work will do the trick.

I imagine the majority of TSO's have a high school diploma plus, but the above isn't exactly setting the bar really high.
a regular high school diploma from a U.S. high school may or may not
be worth the paper it was printed on.... I was unfortunate enough
to have an English teacher who allowed everyone to write in their
final gradd at the end of the semester. That was a long time ago....('80s)
The shocking thing is that I recently found out the teacher kept on
working until he retired a couple of years ago.

back to the TSA guy stealing money from the wheelchair lady. Just because
the lady was in a wheelchair doesn't make this crime any better or worse.
it's still a serious crime, even if the TSA agent stole $20 from Donald
Trump's coat pocket at the security checkpoint. (assume Trump flies
commercial once in a while)
Old May 23, 2010, 10:05 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean5294
Maybe s/he had over 1-year experience as a mall cop which would seem to waive the HS/GED requirement.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Maybe s/he had over 1-year experience as a mall cop which would seem to waive the HS/GED requirement.
you may be right.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the defendant and the United States are engaged in serious plea talks . . . wonder what the sentence will be like if he pleads guilty. The low end of the federal sentencing guidelines range is 6 months in prison, but that is without an acceptance of responsibility deduction. I don't think he'll even get that, though we can hope.

I hope he sees the inside of a prison cell-- and I hope he draws a judge willing to axe any plea deal that s/he views as too sweet. I'm hoping the judge is willing to give great weight to a few specific 3553(a) factors, mainly deterrence and promotion of respect for the law.

The guy used his position of power to rob from a vulnerable victim-- someone in a wheelchair-- and then tried to cover it up.* That sort of conduct requires a serious penalty, IMO, and prison sends the right message.

*This is only an accusation-- he is innocent until proven/pleading guilty.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Disgusting behaviour.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Looks like the defendant and the United States are engaged in serious plea talks . . . wonder what the sentence will be like if he pleads guilty. The low end of the federal sentencing guidelines range is 6 months in prison, but that is without an acceptance of responsibility deduction. I don't think he'll even get that, though we can hope.

I hope he sees the inside of a prison cell-- and I hope he draws a judge willing to axe any plea deal that s/he views as too sweet. I'm hoping the judge is willing to give great weight to a few specific 3553(a) factors, mainly deterrence and promotion of respect for the law.

The guy used his position of power to rob from a vulnerable victim-- someone in a wheelchair-- and then tried to cover it up.* That sort of conduct requires a serious penalty, IMO, and prison sends the right message.

*This is only an accusation-- he is innocent until proven/pleading guilty.

If he gets federal time it will probably be in a camp or low security facility.

I would rather see him get a couple of years in a super-max.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If he gets federal time it will probably be in a camp or low security facility.
Club Fed is still better than nothing.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Club Fed is still better than nothing.
And forever the tag of being a convicted felon.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
^
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
And a former TSA employee. Double resume stain.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on the experience in Richmond and elsewhere, being a convicted criminal doesn't necessarily mean the TSA won't hire you...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:13 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
And a former TSA employee. Double resume stain.
In such a case, the negative employment history would be far worse than the negative criminal history.

Were I evaluating such a resume, the TSA employment bullet without "quit as soon as I saw how disgusting and un-American this agency was" or some such qualification would cause me to shred the resume on sight.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Based on the experience in Richmond and elsewhere, being a convicted criminal doesn't necessarily mean the TSA won't hire you...
I think you're missing the bigger picture.

On job applications, they ask if you were ever convicted of a felony. He will have to say 'yes.'

The follow up question on the application and/or interview will be for what (he likely will be very vague on what it was for). I would guess that most employers would ask who he was working for at the time.

Given the public's low opinion of the TSA, it will be a double-whammy for him.

In some ways, I think this is better than ~$30k/year to the taxpayers to leave him in jail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.