Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Newark TSO steals cash from wheelchair bound woman.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newark TSO steals cash from wheelchair bound woman.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 2:04 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
When has this not been true? Haven't judges often taken into account wether or not someone is up front about what they did? Sometimes not, but many times yes. And judges are sure to point out in their sentencing when someone still denies it to the end.
It isn't just the judge's consideration, it is a different crime. In this case, the penalty for the lying crime is much greater than the penalty for just the theft.

Compare 4 months minimum for the theft with 21 months minimum for the lying (guideline range).
Old May 19, 2010, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
One shoe bomber = war on shoes.
One threat of a binary explosive = war on liquids

Many, many thefts from personal effects/luggage.

When will TSA declare war on thieving TSOs?
I'll say on or about the 12th of Never. It's just not a real PROBLEM - for them, at least.

Old May 19, 2010, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
"A few?" Looks like more and more get "caught" each month. Maybe that's why Workfare keeps increasing? To try to keep the ratio lower??

TSA = A national disgrace.
Ray is not the first TSA employee to be charged with theft. Since 2007, 23 security officers have been fired nationwide for stealing from screening areas or from checked baggage, said Ann Davis, a TSA spokeswoman. Last year, a former screener at Newark Liberty pleaded guilty to pilfering between $200,000 and $400,000 worth of electronics and jewelry from baggage.
23??? Spokeshole Ann, you're a lying piece of fertilizer.

Now that I've gotten the previous post off my chest, there are good reasons not to fire a government employee after arrest, but before conviction. As trite as it seems, he's still on the hook to protect sacred SSI from public disclosure. Even if he's found not guilty but spills his SSI guts during the trial, the TSA could take administrative action against him as an employee. As a private citizen, he couldn't be fined for disclosing SSI. We've done this in the past for espionage trials. Also, I'm not sure the lying charges could stick as well if he was no longer a TSA employee. (Actually, the falsification alone is enough grounds to fire him.)

In terms of his being fired after he's been convicted, the TSA could always invoke the "Alvin Crabtree Rule" and put him right back out there.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 21, 2010 at 4:46 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old May 19, 2010, 6:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
23??? Spokeshole Ann, you're a lying piece of fertilizer.
To reiterate from another thread:

The Port Authority says there have been 51 cases of theft at TSA check points at JFK in the last two years.

Police sources say the number is probably much higher, especially since many times, the thefts are never reported.
Old May 19, 2010, 7:17 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
To reiterate from another thread:
She's talking the quantity of employees fired for theft, not cases of theft.
Old May 19, 2010, 7:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
She's talking the quantity of employees fired for theft, not cases of theft.
I know that but if there are 57 cases of theft at one airport in two years, common sense says that there are many more than 23 arrests nationwide since 2007.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Innocent until proven guilty, right? Being charged and being convicted aren't the same thing.
Agreed. But in this case there is video evidence showing the crime, right? Perhaps firing is too severe. How about indefinite leave without pay until the matter is resolved one way or another?
Old May 19, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by clrankin
Agreed. But in this case there is video evidence showing the crime, right? Perhaps firing is too severe. How about indefinite leave without pay until the matter is resolved one way or another?
In the article that has the guy's picture, it does say he is on unpaid suspension pending the outcome.
Old May 19, 2010, 9:23 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Place your bets for a plea bargain and a slap on the wrist.
i'm in for 4 hockey pucks that it will be a 6-12 months suspended sentence due to "circumstances at home and needing to take care of his family" (or a reasonable facsimile thereof)
Old May 19, 2010, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by TSO1973
In the article that has the guy's picture, it does say he is on unpaid suspension pending the outcome.
Thanks. Missed that somehow... My personal opinion is that the lying piece of filth should still be summarily dismissed. He would if this type of thing came up with my employer.

The really disappointing thing here is that TSA seems to believe that this isn't a problem, dismissing it as "since 2007, 23 arrests... blah, blah, blah". TSA leadership needs to wake up and realize that they have a problem on their hands here. To maintain a real environment of security and trust, all employees must be beyond reproach and act accordingly. (Don't tell me that this can't happen, as all TSA folks are supposed to be security professionals.)

The theft problems are only a small part of the picture-- if TSA employees feel that it's OK to steal from passengers, who knows what other security lapses are being caused by their desire for personal gain? We have a very real, very serious hole that TSA should be concerned about plugging-- something that needs far more than a publicity release. I can only hope that TSA is doing something about this in the background, but my experience and better judgment leads me to, unfortunately, believe that it probably isn't.

Meanwhile passengers have their children kidnapped and interrogated by TSOs out of their guardian's presence, elderly people with life threatening medical conditions have applesauce taken because it could be a "dangerous" item, and the flying public in general is herded toward strip searches without being properly informed of the procedure they're about to endure... But we're all feeling safer now, aren't we? Well, actually no...
Old May 19, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by clrankin
Thanks. Missed that somehow... My personal opinion is that the lying piece of filth should still be summarily dismissed. He would if this type of thing came up with my employer.

The really disappointing thing here is that TSA seems to believe that this isn't a problem, dismissing it as "since 2007, 23 arrests... blah, blah, blah". TSA leadership needs to wake up and realize that they have a problem on their hands here. To maintain a real environment of security and trust, all employees must be beyond reproach and act accordingly. (Don't tell me that this can't happen, as all TSA folks are supposed to be security professionals.)

The theft problems are only a small part of the picture-- if TSA employees feel that it's OK to steal from passengers, who knows what other security lapses are being caused by their desire for personal gain? We have a very real, very serious hole that TSA should be concerned about plugging-- something that needs far more than a publicity release. I can only hope that TSA is doing something about this in the background, but my experience and better judgment leads me to, unfortunately, believe that it probably isn't.

Meanwhile passengers have their children kidnapped and interrogated by TSOs out of their guardian's presence, elderly people with life threatening medical conditions have applesauce taken because it could be a "dangerous" item, and the flying public in general is herded toward strip searches without being properly informed of the procedure they're about to endure... But we're all feeling safer now, aren't we? Well, actually no...
Well, unfortunately the relatively few times that this happens makes it seem like a bigger problem than it really is because it gets so much play in outlets such as here and the media. I will tell you this though, there is ALOT that goes on the background. In fact I know of someone who was fired for taking 62 cents from a bin that was left behind by a passenger. I also know of someone who was put on a 14 day unpaid suspension for a minor SOP violation. So for what it's worth, there are ramifications for doing the wrong thing.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, unfortunately the relatively few times that this happens makes it seem like a bigger problem than it really is because it gets so much play in outlets such as here and the media. I will tell you this though, there is ALOT that goes on the background. In fact I know of someone who was fired for taking 62 cents from a bin that was left behind by a passenger. I also know of someone who was put on a 14 day unpaid suspension for a minor SOP violation. So for what it's worth, there are ramifications for doing the wrong thing.
Please don't take this as "piling on," but I want to expand on your point.

Going back to the "actions have consequences" adage, the TSA does set itself up for additional scrutiny when it touts it's "highly professional officers" and does things like post these posters in lines touting these happy-go-lucky "testimonials" from TSAers. That's on top of the admitting they are trying to purchase respect through the blue uniforms.

I don't care who you are, when the sheet his the fan like this, in light of the high bar that the TSA puts its screeners, it's like when a politician (regardless of party affiliation) gets caught being hypocritical or flat-out lying, you're are asking for it in a big way.

And absolutely, this forum blows things out of proportion as well.

A few things about the 62 cents and the 14-day suspension.

Of course we're not going to hear about things like that. If the TSA gets angry when leaks about Red Team results, they sure as heck aren't going to tout the firing of a screener over 62 cents.

It genuinely makes me wonder if someone can be fired over 62 cents why a TSAer can keep his job after bringing a firearm through a checkpoint.

If those things happened at one airport (and I have no reason to believe they didn't), multiply those out by the number of airports the TSA is at, 450+, then multiply that by the number of checkpoints in each of those airports, and I would imagine that "sweep under the rug" number Ann Davis points out would add up fairly quickly.

Would that result in a majority of TSAers being found as criminals? Of course not (I firmly believe the majority of screeners are hard workers, trying to do the right thing). But the TSA has set the standard in being all about PR, and those are the guidelines which my point is all about.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:41 am

I will tell you this though, there is ALOT that goes on the background. In fact I know of someone who was fired for taking 62 cents from a bin that was left behind by a passenger. I also know of someone who was put on a 14 day unpaid suspension for a minor SOP violation. So for what it's worth, there are ramifications for doing the wrong thing.
That's good to know.

TSA should really consider getting this type of information out to the public as well. It would serve a number of purposes, from showing that the agency is serious about these types of problems to providing some public examples of how infractions are treated (which would hopefully discourage such future actions by TSOs).

When I fly later this summer, I may try marking a dollar bill or two and leaving it behind in the tray just to see what happens myself... We'll see. I do think that TSA should conduct those types of "integrity tests" of its agents periodically, though.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:30 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
I know that but if there are 57 cases of theft at one airport in two years, common sense says that there are many more than 23 arrests nationwide since 2007.
Common sense says there should be.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
And absolutely, this forum blows things out of proportion as well.
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. TSA crows every week about the .0002% of passengers who get caught carrying firearms into a checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.