Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Newark TSO steals cash from wheelchair bound woman.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newark TSO steals cash from wheelchair bound woman.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 5:22 pm

sounds like screening manager material right their
Old May 18, 2010, 5:27 pm

It's also interesting that they got him not just for the theft, but for lying about it. If there's anything I've noticed over the last few years, it's that it's not the crime that gets you in nearly as much trouble as the cover-up (Martha Stewart, Kwame Kilpatrick, ...)
Old May 18, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Someone who would steal is someone who might let anyone pass for say, a $20 tip. This person should be assigned to used glove collection or some other detail where their potential/probable dishonesty cannot cause any further damage. It's not like there are any checks already in place to prevent serious malfeasance by TSA employees.
Point taken. I have to agree.

Could we just keelhaul the guy and be done with it?
Old May 18, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
In almost all states employment is at will. Employees may be let go for any reason or no reason as long as the reason is not illegal (discrimination).

I am not sure if the TSA can be fired easily but this guy should go!
Rank-and-file government employees, with rare exception usually limited to certain "at the leisure of the President" type positions, have a property right in their employment and cannot be fired without cause. That is a protection most Americans don't have.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Ray abruptly walked over to a supervisor’s office and placed a white object from his back pocket into the “lost and found” tray, the complaint said..

He then returned to the checkpoint and volunteered that he had found the missing envelope on the floor.
A few years ago @ BOS, after having gone thru the checkpoint, I discovered that my DL had disappeared. When I went back to the checkpoint, a female smurf immediately came over, slapped it down on the table in front of the supervisor I had been dealing with, & claimed she had 'found it in the ladies room'.

One problem-I hadn't been to the ladies room.

I guess this 'gee, look what I found' thing must be an unwritten smurf rule for trying to wiggle out of trouble when they are about to get caught red-handed...
Old May 18, 2010, 6:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
No, but those convicted of federal crimes don't usually get parole.
Don't count your chickens . . . but it appears that if convicted, his guidelines range would be as follows:

Count 1: 18 U.S.C. § 654 § 2B1.1(a)(2) Base Offense Level............6
§ 3B1.3 Abuse of Position of Trust or Use of Special Skill..........+2

Count 2: 18 U.S.C. § 1001 § 2J1.2(a) Base Offense Level............ 14
§ 3B1.3 Abuse of Position of Trust or Use of Special Skill......... +2
Multiple Counts (Chapter 3D) § 3D1.1(a)(1)
Counts grouped as follows:
Group 1 is Count 1 (18 U.S.C. § 654), Count 2 (18 U.S.C. § 1001).

§ 3D1.1(a)(2) & 3D1.3 Offense levels applicable for each group:
Group 1................................................. ............16

Highest offense level............................................. ..16

§ 3D1.1(a)(3) Total units: 1 unit, increase of 0.
Breakdown: Group 1: 1 unit........................................ +16

So:
Zone.........D
Level........16
History......I (we will assume no significant criminal history)

Fine.........$5,000 – 50,000
Months.......21-27

I am not an expert nor a lawyer (perhaps a lawyer who understands this can chime in), but this is what I get. I could be waaaaayyyyy off, though-- if I made one misstep, the range could be totally different.

This does not include an enhancement for a vulnerable victim (disabled), which the judge can apply. It also does not reflect a reduction for acceptance of responsibility though often judges don't apply that, even in the case of a guilty plea, when a defendant lies during an investigation. It does reflect an enhancement for "Abuse of Position of Trust or Use of Special Skil". (No jokes about trusting the TSA, please ).

If he pleads to only the first count and the second count is dropped, he'll still get 6++ months in my lay opinion. It appears they are making an example of him by putting him in federal court. No more slaps on the wrist in state court for these criminals. ^^

We must remember, however, that he is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt (or pleading guilty) and a complaint is only an allegation. I imagine he will plead just like the other 95%++ of federal criminal defendants. When a crime is on tape, it isn't easy to get out of it.

On should note that he is in much more trouble for the lying count than for the stealing count.

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
It's also interesting that they got him not just for the theft, but for lying about it. If there's anything I've noticed over the last few years, it's that it's not the crime that gets you in nearly as much trouble as the cover-up (Martha Stewart, Kwame Kilpatrick, ...)
. . . Jon Burge . . .
Old May 18, 2010, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
With his hands inside the Victim’s handbag, defendant Ray removed his gloves, and placed the gloves inside one of his hands.
so he "palmed his gloves" with the woman's money cached in the palm of his gloves. too swift for a first offense and methinks good old leroy "i'm sworn to protect the united states and its citizens from their enemies both foreign domestic" ray has done this before. but this time he got caught ^.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:29 pm

Place your bets for a plea bargain and a slap on the wrist.
Old May 18, 2010, 7:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Place your bets for a plea bargain and a slap on the wrist.
What you consider a slap on the wrist I don't know, but I predict that there will be some prison time involved. I don't think they put forth the effort to try this in federal court just to do what any state court would do. We'll see.

So far I don't see an arrest or bond or anything, but it could have happened and not been posted yet.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:14 pm

He looks very contrite in the Star Ledger photo
Old May 18, 2010, 8:26 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
He looks very contrite in the Star Ledger photo
Here it is:

[TSA Spokeswoman Ann] Davis said the TSA takes theft very seriously. "TSA employs a workforce of more than 50,000 hard-working, dedicated men and women whose character and reputation should not be tarnished by the actions of a few," she said.
Looks like he was released on $1,000 bond today.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Spokeshole Davis
the TSA takes theft very seriously. "TSA employs a workforce of more than 50,000 hard-working, dedicated men and women whose character and reputation should not be tarnished by the actions of a few."
"A few?" Looks like more and more get "caught" each month. Maybe that's why Workfare keeps increasing? To try to keep the ratio lower??

TSA = A national disgrace.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Good riddance. another TSA thief gone.
Yeah! Shame on him!!! He could be arrested for that. He is inappropriate for the behaviors with someone who is touching the passenger's money. Good ridiculous to him! I was too ashamed for what he did to her. He could be disciplinary actions or subject to be termination from his jobs. How is possibility from TSA supervisor who is already being caught him at checkpoint on the security surveillance camera?
Old May 18, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Ann Davis (no, not that trustworthy one, the other one)
"TSA employs a workforce of more than 50,000 hard-working, dedicated men and women whose character and reputation should not be tarnished by the actions of a few."
IOW, TSA employs a lot of people; ~50,000 of them are hard-working and dedicated. The rest of them, not so much.

(Years ago, someone asked a colleague, "How many people work at your site?" He replied: "About half of 'em." )
Old May 18, 2010, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
When has this not been true? Haven't judges often taken into account wether or not someone is up front about what they did? Sometimes not, but many times yes. And judges are sure to point out in their sentencing when someone still denies it to the end.

What we can hope is if this person is guilty, when in prison he meets that man I saw in a movie long ago: Mr. Bend Over. I mean, seriously, stealing from someone in a wheel chair. Pretty low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.