Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Newark TSO steals cash from wheelchair bound woman.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newark TSO steals cash from wheelchair bound woman.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
TSA solution

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
The original article states that the defendant has been suspended by TSA.

And all you need is some allegation from the defendant that the "real" reason for the firing was, in fact, a prohibited basis (race, gender, etc.), and now you've got a donnybrook on your hands. ("Why'd you fire me? All the [insert color] guys who do this just get a warning!")
Homer: I've figured out the boy's punishment. First, he's grounded. No leaving the house, not even for school. Second, no egg nog. In fact, no nog, period. And third, absolutely no stealing for three months.
Old May 18, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Innocent until proven guilty, right? Being charged and being convicted aren't the same thing.

Hey, don't get me wrong ... if he's proven guilty, then fire him. But the minute we start firing people based on allegations of crimes, we're going to have a whole mess of trouble on our hands. There are, occasionally, passengers who make deliberately false accusations ... or, more often, make mistaken accusations when they misremember what they had in their possession --- or later discover that the item wasn't lost after all.
+1,000

Having said that, I need to have a little fun with this thread. So, without further ado, I present to you Mikeef's Top 10 Excuses that Leroy Ray gave:

10. He was inspecting the envelope for liquids.
9. He was checking to make sure that she didn't have more than $10K.
8. The cash could have been used as a weapon, since money could give someone a nasty paper cut.
7. He thought it was a tip.
6. He was checking the bills for cocaine residue.
5. Sorry, it's SSI.
4. He needed singles because he was visiting his girlfriend that night.
3. He was making sure there were no notes to Al Queda operatives in the envelope.
2. He was just looking for her NEXUS card.

And the Number 1 excuse that Leroy Ray gave:

1. He could have sworn she was trying to smuggle through some applesauce.

Mike
Old May 18, 2010, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Good riddance. another TSA thief gone.
amen but sadly, e pluribus unum

Originally Posted by Spiff
Yet another isolated incident. Thankfully, theft is certainly no predictor for the predisposition to commit more serious crimes like smuggling drugs or explosives.

It's a good thing those background checks exempt TSA employees from being screened before, during, and after work.

You're doing a heckva job, Nappy.
he says "isolated" incident

Originally Posted by clrankin
So why was this person only suspended? If there's video evidence and reason enough to charge him, he should be fired from his job.......
a teller at a bank caught "dipping in" is gone faster than you can say "glove save and a beauty" so why not those who are sworn to keep us safe? answer: because it's the tsa and they want to save face
Old May 18, 2010, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by mikeef
So, without further ado, I present to you Mikeef's Top 10 Excuses that Leroy Ray gave:

<>
4. He needed singles because he was visiting his girlfriend that night.
oh snap
Old May 18, 2010, 3:38 pm

I had $200 stolen out of my wallet which was going through the XRAY machine and my stuff inspected afterwards, while I was getting a pat down from a TSA officer at SEATAC Airport. You can't prove it, so you just have to crawl off and be glad the federal thugs didn't leave you bleeding or arrested in the MANDATORY process of submission to their robbing you.

I hope they fry the guy, he's likely been doing it the whole time he worked there. TSA DELIBERATELY does NOTHING to protect the passengers from theft.
Old May 18, 2010, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by AINITFUNNY
I hope they fry the guy, he's likely been doing it the whole time he worked there. TSA DELIBERATELY does NOTHING to protect the passengers from theft.
Deliberately does nothing? It's worse than that: TSA sometimes participates in the theft!
Old May 18, 2010, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Spiff
Homer: I've figured out the boy's punishment. First, he's grounded. No leaving the house, not even for school. Second, no egg nog. In fact, no nog, period. And third, absolutely no stealing for three months.
Young man, since you broke Grandpa's teeth, he gets to break yours.

Mike
Old May 18, 2010, 3:49 pm

Bob -- to save you the time of having to look it up, here's the ready-made and well worn TSA statement ready for you to cut and paste into your next blog posting:

TSA holds the highest standards for our workforce and this individual's actions do not reflect on the more than 50,000 men and women who work every day to keep the traveling public safe.

Just trying to be helpful.
Old May 18, 2010, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Young man, since you broke Grandpa's teeth, he gets to break yours.

Mike
Oh boy, this is going to be sweet!
Old May 18, 2010, 3:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Federal Charges! ^^

From the complaint:

------------------------------------

Count 1
On or about February 3, 2010. in the District of New Jersey, and elsewhere, defendant LEROY RAY being an officer and employee of the United States and of any department or agency thereof, embezzled and wrongfully converted to his own use the money or property of another which came into his possession and under his control in the execution of such office and employment, and under color and claim of authority as such officer and employee. In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 654 and Section 2.

Count 2
On or about February 3, 2010, in the District of New Jersey, and elsewhere, defendant LEROY RAY in a matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, and judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully made a materially false, fictitious, and fraudulent statement or representation. In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1001(a)(2) and Section 2.

I, Stephen Jannucci. a Special Agent with the Office of Inspection, Transportation Security Administration (“TSA”). having conducted an investigation and discussed this matter with other law enforcement officers who have participated in this investigation, have knowledge of the following facts:

1. At all times relevant to this Complaint: TSA was a department or agency of the United States government. TSA conducted security screening (Screening”) of airline passengers. Screening was mandatory for all passengers who wished to travel from the Airport. Screening consisted of two primary components: the passenger passed through a walk-through magnetometer, or metal detector, and the passenger’s personal property passed through an x-ray screening machine. This combination of a metal detector and an x-ray machine was referred to as a “lane.” Screenings took place at Check Points located throughout the Airport, and each Check Point contained several lanes. The events that transpired at Check Points were recorded on videotape, and these recordings were maintained by TSA. Regulations required that all LTSOs wear gloves while they are working.

2. At all times relevant to this Complaint, defendant Leroy Ray was employed by TSA as a Lead Transportation Security Officer (“LTSO”) at Newark Liberty International Airport (the “Airport”). beginning on or about August 3. 2002 through and including February 3, 2010. In his capacity as an LTSO, defendant Ray participated in the Screening of passengers.

3. On or about February 3, 2010, surveillance video showed the following:

a. Defendant Ray was on duty at Check Point C- 1, located in Terminal C of the Airport. At approximately 6:40 a.m., a female passenger (the ‘Victim”), confined to a wheelchair, approached one of the lanes at Check Point C-I. The Victim’s personal property, including the Victim’s handbag, was passed through an x-ray screening machine in a plastic tray.

b. Defendant Ray, wearing gloves on both hands, removed the tray containing the Victim’s personal property from the x-ray screening machine, and carried the tray to a metal table. Defendant Ray then began to search the Victim’s handbag. With his hands inside the Victim’s handbag, defendant Ray removed his gloves, and placed the gloves inside one of his hands.

c. Defendant Ray completed his search, and the Victim retrieved her personal property and proceeded towards her departure gate. With his gloves still clutched in one hand, defendant Ray moved away from Check Point C-I. Defendant Ray then placed his gloves in the lell rear pocket of his pants. After several minutes, defendant Ray took the gloves out of his left rear pocket and threw them into a trash container. He then touched his left rear pocket numerous times. An object was visible in the left rear pocket.

d. Defendant Ray then began to work at a different lane at Check Point C-i. Several minutes later. the Victim returned to Check Point C-i. and complained that she was missing a white envelope containing approximately $300 in cash, as well as approximately $195 in cash from inside a zippered pocket of her bag. Shortly after the Victim returned to Check Point C-i. defendant Ray abruptly abandoned the location at which he was working, and began walking quickly away from Check Point C-I.

e. Defendant Ray, with his left hand in the left rear pocket of his pants, went into his supervisor’s office, pulled his left hand out of his pocket, and placed a white object in a “lost and found” tray.

4. On or about February 3, 2010, following the above, defendant Ray returned to the area around Check Point C-i. Several officials had gathered around the Victim, to begin investigating her complaint regarding the missing money. Without being asked, and without being told that the Victim was missing anything, defendant Ray stated to these other officials that — in sum and substance — he remembered the Victim, he knew what she had left behind, and that he had found an envelope on the floor and had recovered it. An official retrieved a white envelope from the “lost and found” tray in the supervisor’s office. The envelope contained approximately $300. The Victim identified the envelope as the one she was missing. From the envelope’s condition, it was apparent that the envelope had been folded several times.

------------------------------------

Stealing from a woman in a wheelchair-- that's LOW.

The judge will take that into account at sentencing if he is convicted. He was an LTSO. I wonder what he was doing between February 3rd and now-- was he on duty, or was he suspended (with pay, I'm sure).

If there are typo's that's because it is OCR.
Old May 18, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ari

Stealing from a woman in a wheelchair-- that's LOW.

The judge will take that into account at sentencing if he is convicted. He was an LTSO. I wonder what he was doing between February 3rd and now-- was he on duty, or was he suspended (with pay, I'm sure).

If there are typo's that's because it is OCR.
He stole from her because he figured if she complained she would not have a leg to stand on.
Old May 18, 2010, 4:05 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
He stole from her because he figured if she complained she would not have a leg to stand on.
Oooooohhhhh
Old May 18, 2010, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Federal charges - does that mean he can be strung up from the nearest tree?
Old May 18, 2010, 4:14 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
It means this will be taken seriously and that, if he is before the right judge, he'll end up doing some prison time. Your option is attractive, but not how our legal system works. The extra charge of making false statements about it is great. ^
Old May 18, 2010, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by doober
No, but those convicted of federal crimes don't usually get parole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.