Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Watch Your Bags....TSA is Now Planting "Evidence"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watch Your Bags....TSA is Now Planting "Evidence"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by DIFIN
As I said in another thread a few weeks ago......"there must be some sort of stupid test tso's have to pass"
The test has to be very simple, or else they risk lawsuits. Look at the NY Times coverage yesterday about the "discriminatory" tests for Firemen. NYC just lost a big discrimination lawsuit.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by deadpass
there is an entry on PV about it now
It is:

What Happened in Philadelphia?

You have likely by now heard the story about a TSA employee who decided to play a joke on a passenger in Philadelphia. You can read the details of the passenger's unfortunate experience here.

TSA views this employee’s behavior to be highly inappropriate and unprofessional and as of today, the employee is no longer with TSA.

Incidents like this are a kick in the gut to our entire workforce who strive daily to do their best and keep the next attack from happening on their watch.
incidents like this are inevitable--TSA has to make up things to catch ("When she complained to airport security, Solomon said, she was told the TSA worker had been training the staff to detect contraband") since the odds of actually catching an actual terrorist is so close to zero that human inspection is worthless.

Since TSA has to define harmless items, (e.g., water) as prohibited so the Theatre d'Security Actors have something to do, planting fake drugs on the guilty-until-proven innocent passengers is the (il-?)logical next step.

Last edited by Mr. Gel-pack; Jan 22, 2010 at 9:02 am
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
If Barack H. Obama cared about airline security, he'd call for immediate action to fix the TSA.

Seems he'll only take swift, immediate action when one of his buddies gets arrested for disturbing the peace, but not when a U.S. Citizen is terrorized by a Federal Agent.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Gel-pack
Since TSA has to define harmless items, (e.g., water) as prohibited so the Theatre d'Security Actors have something to do, planting fake drugs on the guilty-until-proven innocent passengers is the (il-?)logical next step.
Though, as others have pointed out, TSOs aren't supposed to be looking for drugs, only weapons. So, what's the point in planting drugs in a passenger's bags, when they're not supposed to be looking for them?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:26 am

I just posted something about it on Blogger Bobs site. Let's see if it gets approved.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I thought the journalist did a decent job of capturing the emotional toll the TSA and DHS is taking on the American people. We need more stories like this, and there are plenty to go around.

Second, I am happy to see how many people are commenting in the comments section of the article. By my count they are running 10-1 against the TSA in it's current form.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Though, as others have pointed out, TSOs aren't supposed to be looking for drugs, only weapons. So, what's the point in planting drugs in a passenger's bags, when they're not supposed to be looking for them?
The point is that they need something to do to look busy. The managers and supervisors need to keep their subordinates alert, no matter how nonsensical and pointless the mission is, so they make up fake tests so they can catch their subordinates. About drugs, Bob posts drug busts on PV: "Wherever you can hide drugs, you can hide bombs and other items," and http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/02/trut...detection.html:
Some will say that it shouldn’t be TSA’s job to look for drugs, or money - our job is airport security. But when we spot someone behaving suspiciously, we don’t know what they have; all we know is they’re behaving in a way that says they might pose a threat. In many cases, we find things that might have otherwise gotten through security (money, drugs) and that’s a good sign because it could just as easily been plastic or liquid explosives. The behaviors these drug and currency smugglers exhibit are the same behaviors we expect a terrorist to exhibit.
Even if it isn't their mission, TSA scores finding drugs as a success, especially if it leads to an arrest. As long as the reward structure is there, the personnel will follow.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Looks like they're trying to bury the story on the TSA blog by posting a new irrelevant story about CBP laptop searches at top of the page.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Looks like they're trying to bury the story on the TSA blog by posting a new irrelevant story about CBP laptop searches at top of the page.
But I like this comment in today's puppy post:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Question: Since the TSA can plant cocaine in your luggage as part of a training exercise can they also plant things on your laptop while visiting this blog?
+1000 ^
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a dedicated effort should be made to keep the PHI story active.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think a dedicated effort should be made to keep the PHI story active.
Doing my part. Letter to Senators went out.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:07 pm

My Blogger Bob post went through. I thought for sure I was banned.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by reamworks
If Barack H. Obama cared about airline security, he'd call for immediate action to disband the TSA.
Fixed.

Seems he'll only take swift, immediate action when one of his buddies gets arrested for disturbing the peace, but not when a U.S. Citizen is terrorized by a Federal Agent.
All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.

Last edited by n4zhg; Jan 22, 2010 at 4:55 pm
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: TSA
" black shirt"

Article says that the agent was wearing a black shirt. That is not one of us that you love to hate folks.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eyecue
Article says that the agent was wearing a black shirt. That is not one of us that you love to hate folks.
The article also goes on to quote a TSA Spokesperson who advised that the "agent" is no longer employed by TSA (not "was never employed by TSA").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.