Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Watch Your Bags....TSA is Now Planting "Evidence"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watch Your Bags....TSA is Now Planting "Evidence"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They have been putting things in people's bags to see if they were caught way before the TSA even existed.

I had a bag screened once and the screener yelled out GUN as the bag went through the screening machine. They were testing them, the person at the front of the machine put a "test" gun under my bag as it went into the machine, and backed off the impending pounce on me.

The looks the other passengers gave me was very real, even though the white shirt was saying "it's only a test people"

They have to be tested and trained somehow to make sure they can detect the items they are supposed to be looking for.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:42 pm

"It was such a violation," the Wynnewood native told me by phone. "I'd come early. I'd done everything right. And they were kidding about it."

I hope they don't start profiling people from Wynnewood.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cordelli
They have been putting things in people's bags to see if they were caught way before the TSA even existed.

I had a bag screened once and the screener yelled out GUN as the bag went through the screening machine. They were testing them, the person at the front of the machine put a "test" gun under my bag as it went into the machine, and backed off the impending pounce on me.

The looks the other passengers gave me was very real, even though the white shirt was saying "it's only a test people"

They have to be tested and trained somehow to make sure they can detect the items they are supposed to be looking for.
You don't use real pax to do that. That is the purpose of the "Red Teams". And besides, they aren't looking for drugs anyway. Although I'm certain an excuse would be that they are looking for powdered explosives.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ND Sol
TSORon does not work at PHI.
Aw, shucks.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
You don't use real pax to do that. That is the purpose of the "Red Teams". And besides, they aren't looking for drugs anyway. Although I'm certain an excuse would be that they are looking for powdered explosives.
Apparently they are looking for drugs.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
un-freaking-believeable

now if there was ever grounds for a lawsuit as even the article mentions eye witnesses. ianal but how much for "emotional distress"?

again, un-freaking-believeable
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:57 pm

I suspect that being fired is only the beginning of the TSA moron's issues once the litigator/father gets things going and starts legal proceedings...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:07 pm

Why am I so astounded by these stories? It really is just par for the course, but I'm amazed.

I'm not so impressed by the "emotional distress" argument, but the TSA's actions were idiotic at best.

Some points:
1. This is shortly after the incident involving "dummy" explosives in Bratislava. Security personnel worldwide should be aware that using unwitting accomplices to "test the system" is dangerous.

2. What if the TSA had not recovered its "powder?" What would happen to this woman at the next airport?

3. Good, the TSA fired this guy. I'm okay with them following employment law. It's okay if they just say that he's no longer working there, or "separated from The Administration." But they didn't say anything about measures to prevent this behavior in the future.

As they continue to embarrass themselves on the world stage, the TSA needs to be making press releases apologizing for this passenger's ordeal, and stating exactly what they will be doing to educate or re-educate their personnel.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
What felony?
Tampering with evidence. I surmise that PA must have an evidence tampering law.

In Texas, its a Class III felony: 2-10 and $10k fine.
In NM its a felony - don't know the particulars.
In AZ its a Class 6 Felony:

Federally, I'd say the Hobbs Act is a likely candidate. 18 USC 1951. The Hobbs Act outlaws interference with interstate commerce by means of robbery or extortion. Extortion induced by fear, as in the present case, and extortion under color of official right. Clearly this donkey interfered with interstate commerce, as Ms. Solomon was boarding or about to board an interstate flight. To be prosecuted under Hobbs, the prosecution has to prove that interstate commerce was affected, (it was...the traveler had to take extra actions and time to file a complaint, not to mention the intentional infliction of mental duress). The prosecutor need only prove obstructed, delayed or affected interstate commerce. Proof of a potential impact, even one that is not particularly severe is sufficient.

Violation of the Hobbs Act is a 20 year felony and a $250,000 fine.

Then there's the ever present Thou shalt not lie in any manner within the jurisdiction of a federal executive branch agency, 18 USC 1001, which disallows "material false statements" concerning any matter within the jurisdiction of a federal executive branch agency. This illigitimatum produced a bag, implied that it was found in her luggage, and proceeded to question her about it. There can be no doubt that he did it to create a materially false statement used to initially intimidate her. Suppose she had been as old and ugly as me? Then what? Off to the hoosegow for me?

And wasn't this the airport where they hauled an airline captain off an airplane because he refused to allow a TSO to take his Rolex or maybe plant something in his bin?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't ya know BB is going woo, glad someone took the heat off me.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, CO, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, ex-TSA Elite rectal exam club member
If a failing memory serves me correct, this is nothing new and it will happen again. Big Brother is alive and well.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
As someone else stated - yet another reason why I ziptie all of the zippered compartments on my two carry-ons as soon as I get out of the car (hand-carrying the laptop from that point).
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by cordelli
I had the same thing happen to me, except I caught them first. When I hollered “That screener placed something on top of my bag that does not belong to me!” the look on all their faces was priceless. It was a flat object wrapped up in cardboard and tape, so I’m guessing it was a simulated weapon.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by greentips
People, this is no joke. That TSA agent committed a serious felony offense.

I hope the local District Attorney or the US District Attorney is investigating this for potential prosecution. Planting evidence by a cop is encouraged and leads to the arrest of the person on whom the evidence was planted, and awards and promotions for the cop
Fixed for real world accuracy.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I had the same thing happen to me, except I caught them first. When I hollered “That screener placed something on top of my bag that does not belong to me!” the look on all their faces was priceless. It was a flat object wrapped up in cardboard and tape, so I’m guessing it was a simulated weapon.

Love it! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.