Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Watch Your Bags....TSA is Now Planting "Evidence"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watch Your Bags....TSA is Now Planting "Evidence"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I had the same thing happen to me, except I caught them first. When I hollered “That screener placed something on top of my bag that does not belong to me!” the look on all their faces was priceless. It was a flat object wrapped up in cardboard and tape, so I’m guessing it was a simulated weapon.
Another reason to always wait until your bags are completely into the xray before going through the WTMD.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:18 pm

Well, on the bright side, TSA did root out a terrorist within their own organization... Hope they add it to the weekly list.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Disgusting. My heart goes out to that poor woman.

I've been locking one of my carry ons after a TSO in COS opened my bag before it emerged from the X-ray to gleefully seize a liquid (it was a powdered deodorant).

I'll need to look at more locks.

What a disgusting agency. "Dismissed"? Why isn't that piece of garbage in jail?

TSO's on this list ... there was a line in a movie by one of the Wayan's Brothers: "There's work at the post office."
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
I'll need to look at more locks.
Zip ties are cheap, and available in sizes to work on just about every zipper size available on luggage. I just carry a pair of electrician's snips (less than 4" blade, sharp with a pointed tip) with me in my pocket to remove them as needed (put them in the same bin as my laptop when going through the WTMD).

Also gives me a slightly more security conscious feeling if I fall asleep on the plane (no one can get into my bags onboard without attracting attention).
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If you need any more evidence that TSA is an abusive, untethered agency as well as a magnet for half-wits on power trips, I don't know what it could be.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Another reason to always wait until your bags are completely into the xray before going through the WTMD.
I always wait, but many over zealous screeners bark orders to go through the "golden arches". I respond in a calm polite voice that "I prefer to wait, as according to the frequent airport announcements, I am required to keep my possessions under my control/sight at all times." At least 60% of the time there is a caustic grunt, "don't you trust us", or some variation there of, for which I remain silent. However, I do seem to get additional screening 20% of the these times, although there are no alarm issues with me or my carryon possesions.

As an aside, I wonder if the TSO agent in question took the same orientation course as the agent at BWI who told me - "Don't worry I won't shoot you". She subsequently clarified the situation be telling me it is okay for TSA to make a joke (threatening as is it seemed), but not the passenger. I can only surmise that the subject agent wasn't fired for the joke but perhaps for attributing the plastic zip-lock bag to the young lady.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:44 pm
Suspended

These are the same people who will be viewing naked bodies in the nude-o-scope. God save us all!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
If you need any more evidence that TSA is an abusive, untethered agency as well as a magnet for half-wits on power trips, I don't know what it could be.
TSA should lower their hiring standards even more...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by sailman
I always wait, but many over zealous screeners bark orders to go through the "golden arches". I respond in a calm polite voice that "I prefer to wait, as according to the frequent airport announcements, I am required to keep my possessions under my control/sight at all times." At least 60% of the time there is a caustic grunt, "don't you trust us", or some variation there of, for which I remain silent. However, I do seem to get additional screening 20% of the these times, although there are no alarm issues with me or my carryon possesions.
I've responded to that with a "as a matter of fact I trust you as much as you trust me" which gets the dirty look.

As an aside, I wonder if the TSO agent in question took the same orientation course as the agent at BWI who told me - "Don't worry I won't shoot you". She subsequently clarified the situation be telling me it is okay for TSA to make a joke (threatening as is it seemed), but not the passenger. I can only surmise that the subject agent wasn't fired for the joke but perhaps for attributing the plastic zip-lock bag to the young lady.
A good "I joke about lots of things with my friends. You're not one of my friends" might put them in their place. Granted you'll have to deal with the snot in return if they choose to drag it to the next level.

They are there to do a job of screening for WEI. Forget about the playful banter as TSOs need to be focusing on the situation at hand. They want to joke around then they should quit TSA to become full time comedians.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:48 pm

Training to find contraband? What a load of crap, the TSA is not supposed to look for contraband nor do they train to find it. I smell a lying Screening Manager. This is TSA professionalism at it's finest.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I had the same thing happen to me, except I caught them first. When I hollered “That screener placed something on top of my bag that does not belong to me!” the look on all their faces was priceless. It was a flat object wrapped up in cardboard and tape, so I’m guessing it was a simulated weapon.
I stay with my bag until it is on the belt entering the scanner. No surprises that way.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by sailman
I respond in a calm polite voice that "I prefer to wait, as according to the frequent airport announcements, I am required to keep my possessions under my control/sight at all times."
Same here. There have been times that I've lost sight of my belongings going through security. It cracks me up to get asked,"Have you had possession of your bag or not?" My response: "No, you took my bag away from me." They know it's true, but they act like I should just play along. Feth.

Also, am I the only one who refuses "private screenings?" They don't seem to know what to say when I tell them that "I'm not going anywhere out of public view with you."

Gosh, now I'm wondering about sailing to Puerto Rico instead of flying.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by con brio
I stay with my bag until it is on the belt entering the scanner. No surprises that way.
I stay with my gear until the last vestiges of the tray with my coat/shoes is no longer visible through the hanging rubber strips of the X-Ray. Both of my carry-ons are placed on the belt before those two items, just to make sure I know if they get backed out prior to walking through the WTMD. I routinely piss off the TSO personnel at BWI C C/P with this, and could care less as to their reactions.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
They have been putting things in people's bags to see if they were caught way before the TSA even existed.

I had a bag screened once and the screener yelled out GUN as the bag went through the screening machine. They were testing them, the person at the front of the machine put a "test" gun under my bag as it went into the machine, and backed off the impending pounce on me.

The looks the other passengers gave me was very real, even though the white shirt was saying "it's only a test people"

They have to be tested and trained somehow to make sure they can detect the items they are supposed to be looking for.
They should not be placing passengers at risk by using them as part of the training by doing things without the passengers permissions
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
Disgusting.

What a disgusting agency. "Dismissed"? Why isn't that piece of garbage in jail?
"
He should be under the jail, not in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.