Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
I'm fine with whatever they dream up. I figure the first time they see me "nude" one TSA agent will suffer a cardiac arrest, 3 will check in to mental health facilities, and the remaining TSA personnel at that station will all summarily quit and join a commune (probably somewhere in Northern California.)
And you'll be given a free orange coverall
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:09 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR
Would be interesting when someone goes through one with metal on their person - or as part of a medical implant.

Then again it could be a new bombing technique
I recalled this story from the summer:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/20301265/detail.html#

I sure would not want to search that heinous anus!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
I think all pax should disrobe at security and be handed out robes to wear in the airport and on the flight.

I hope you know I am not serious.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of your examples are out because they are invasive procedures. I don't want anything invasive done by anyone without suitable medical training (I don't even like cops being allowed to do blood draws of DUI suspects) and the stuff you describe is unpleasant besides--there's a reason my wife's colonoscopy was done under anesthesia!

Stripping for the anonymous camera would be no big deal to me except for being slow.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:59 am

You know, I REALLY did not think that anyone would ACTUALLY be suggesting vaginal/rectal exams, BUT TODAY ON FOX NEWS, they had some "Washington" talking head, who apparently was not in government, but was in some position(NGO?) sufficient to be one of the "expert talking heads" discussion of TSA security. HE ACTUALLY SAID "IF THE TERRORISTS START STOWING WEAPONS AND EXPLOSIVES IN THEIR RECTUMS AND VAGINA THEN "WE WILL HAVE TO START CHECKING PEOPLE THERE TOO"....referring to airline passengers!!

He was absolutely serious. What shocked me is that nobody took exception to or challenged his statement!!!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by AINITFUNNY
It is ABSOLUTELY NOT unreasonable to discuss the future possibility and potential that we WILL be required to submit to a vaginal and/or rectal exam in order to travel.
Then the entire airline industry will close down. Seriously.

Who would EVER fly under those conditions.

Actually the decision would be reversed within hours.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by majik
Are you even reading the words you are typing?You would gladly drop your pants in the airport and let a TSO insert an object in your a$$, dude what the fook are you smoking?
and not only that ...

Originally Posted by homeboy4
6. Rectal exams of kids. You got me on this one. Maybe we'd have to take the train instead. But remember inconvenience is the big thing for me. In this fantasy situation you've created, if the rectal exam was 3 seconds long, I would explain the procedures the same way I'd explain other things children have to endure like, say, a vaccination.
He would have no problem with some TSA dude sticking his finger up his kids bum as long as it was only for a few seconds???

Good grief, maybe my other post above was totally wrong!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: None, no how, no way
Originally Posted by AINITFUNNY
It is ABSOLUTELY NOT unreasonable to discuss the future possibility and potential that we WILL be required to submit to a vaginal and/or rectal exam in order to travel.

WHAT WE NOW MEEKLY SUBMIT TO, WE WOULD HAVE CONSIDERED OUTRAGEOUS, INTOLERABLE AND AN ABUSE OF POWER FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

All it takes is ONE EPISODE of a terrorist hiding bomb materials in his/her rectum or her vagina and you will find the authorities think themselves justified to "check everyone" there, rather than start profiling for the KNOWN threats to our safety.

This is NOT an outrageous question. It should be discussed. Where DO we draw the line and say, this far, NO FURTHER, start profiling instead.

I must say they ALREADY do vaginal and rectal exams on persons they suspect of carrying drugs, so it would not be something new, or which they are loathe to do.

It is this INCREMENTALISM we must beware of, the bleeding away of rights slowly. It is like a guy mowing YOUR lawn one strip over per month or even year, as he mows his yard. Every year he starts using a little more of your yard as his own. Pretty soon you notice a fence going up and your lot is a LOT smaller than you remember it to be.
I agree implicitly with the last paragraph. And it's not only in the arena of security. There are no more big increases in taxes....now it's "fees" and "charges" that crop up everywhere. Check your utility bills. My term for this is being "-nibbled to death by ducks." Another good analogy is the frog put in a pot of cold water and the heat applied....the temperature goes up so gradually the frog is unaware that it's being cooked. This calls into question the ability of representative government to function, at least in its historic role. Our ability as a people to do business rests on an informed electorate, and that is vanishing rapidly.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by thebat
I draw it right about where it is now. I'll do the WBI, but no more. That's the line.
Why will you do the WBI when you know it doesn't detect explosives and weapons in body cavities?

Do you have knowledge of the WBI's false positive rate and are you prepared to suffer through a strip search as a result of a false positive? Are you aware that the courts have ruled that once to present yourself for screening, you do not have the choice to resist secondary searches once the primary screening has a positive?

Originally Posted by homeboy4
6. Rectal exams of kids. [...] if the rectal exam was 3 seconds long, I would explain the procedures the same way I'd explain other things children have to endure like, say, a vaccination.
You'd allow a group of people notorious for stealing to sexually assault your children?

Originally Posted by oldjonesy
Who would EVER fly under those conditions.
See above.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by UK Traveler
I think all pax should disrobe at security and be handed out robes to wear in the airport and on the flight.

I hope you know I am not serious.
I would rather have that then the Nude-O-Scope, at least then everyone would KNOW they are being seen naked.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I would rather have that then the Nude-O-Scope, at least then everyone would KNOW they are being seen naked.
And there would still be no protection from explosives hidden in body cavities...
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
And there would still be no protection from explosives hidden in body cavities...
They are not worried about that, the one time recently that explosives were secreted in the body the terrorist only succeeded in blowing himself up.

For all the thinking that goes on at the TSA it seems no one can figure out that you can shove the explosive package up your butt, pull it out of your butt after the screening and continue on with your plot.

The WBI does NOTHING except catch common criminals trying to sneak their stash of Head and Shoulders shampoo.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Mitigated risk? We can't protect/guard against every conceivable threat. Doing so would bog down security to the point that no one would be able to fly - ever. We've got to use our brains, be vigilant, and have the capacity to react (and most security is reactive) quickly.

As to the nude-o-scopes? On me if it is something that they get a kick out of looking at then let them. As to others with a sense of modesty/innocence please let them retain their dignity when traveling. We've sacrificed much in the name of security and have gotten little in return, except for 'it wasn't enough, surrender more and you'll be safe' from those running the screening process. When will it be enough? Never is a good answer because someone will always find another one in a googleplex threat risk that needs immediate funding. Time to rein them in.

Last edited by AngryMiller; Jan 2, 2010 at 8:31 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:37 am

Here is my thing about the Nude-O-Scope, they are being used without being upfront about what they do, they cost way too much for to little protection.

These machines are $130,000 to $170,000 EACH and they can be beaten by a big breasted woman stuffing her bra.

How many dogs can be purchased for the same amount? At least dogs are not fooled by big boobs and they can be retrained for every new explosive threat.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
They are not worried about that, the one time recently that explosives were secreted in the body the terrorist only succeeded in blowing himself up.

For all the thinking that goes on at the TSA it seems no one can figure out that you can shove the explosive package up your butt, pull it out of your butt after the screening and continue on with your plot.

The WBI does NOTHING except catch common criminals trying to sneak their stash of Head and Shoulders shampoo.
There is no device that would detect an explosive up someones backside. If you think the puffer would, think again. Actually, TK, we are aware thAt people can do what you said. How do we stop that? We will not be doing rectal exams, despite what talking head not associated with TSA said. I know you will hate this, but part of the solution to the fact that every machine out there would fail to detect a body cavity bomb, is to do random gate checks of peoples property. What are other solutions, solutions that work? And you very well know puffers wouldn't work.... We can conclude that from that other document you post.

But what amazes me is that it shocks many of you that others (not employees of TSA or the government) do no agree with your values and opinions. Why should everyone have the same values and opinions? Is it not possible for honest people to come to different conclusions about what is acceptable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.