Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?

Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold

Just a question for those of you who don't mind the TSA viewing nude images of you on WBI scanners. Where DO you draw the line (if anywhere)?

Let's forget the "inconvenience factor" here. Suppose that a colonoscopy could be performed in just a couple of minutes. Would you be OK with the TSA making you drop your pants and performing a colonoscopy on you? Would you be OK if you had to take off all your clothes in a private room and have nude photos taken of you? Let's suppose the TSA guaranteed that the photos wouldn't be saved and only an anonymous person in another room viewed the photos. Would you be OK with it?

To the women who say you don't mind the WBI scans -- would you be OK with mandatory vaginal exams? Suppose you could keep your face and other body parts covered while a TSO performed the exam -- then would it be OK? If you could choose the gender of the TSO performing the exam, would it be OK?

To those of you with children -- would you be OK if the TSA made your kids take off all their clothes and be photographed nude? Would you be OK with rectal exams performed on your kids? How would you explain to your kids the need for these procedures?

Some of you might argue that the above scenarios are just not realistic or likely and therefore aren't worth responding to. So let's consider a more realistic scenario. It is entirely possible (plausible, really) that WBI technology will advance to the point that the images become quite lifelike, almost like an actual nude photograph (as opposed to the somewhat grainy, blue images they produce now). If you say the current WBI technology is OK, then where do you draw the line when the technology advances to the point that it is producing actual nude photographs? Are you really OK with having your nude picture taken by government personnel every time you fly? Like it or not, this whole WBI thing has "slippery slope" written all over it, and if you accept the government's ability to take these images now, it becomes that much more likely that they will be able to commit even greater violations of privacy in the future.

Last edited by Unimatrix One; Jan 1, 2010 at 2:08 am
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:08 am

Whoops....
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:10 am

You take a sequence of possibilities (IF the technology advances as you predict, and IF it is used in the way you predict)
to come up with this "slippery slope"...

Too many IF's for me to try to answer I'm sorry....

In any case I am more dubious than you about the likelihood of the technology advancing to that point.. I am even more doubtful given the purpose of these scans that such clarity is at all necessary ... thus making the (no doubt expensive) equipment upgrades required should it become available rather unlikely....as they could not be justified to those holding the purse strings!

Ask again when (or if) the technology does reach that point.... and is incorporated into mass screening devices... OK?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:25 am

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT unreasonable to discuss the future possibility and potential that we WILL be required to submit to a vaginal and/or rectal exam in order to travel.

WHAT WE NOW MEEKLY SUBMIT TO, WE WOULD HAVE CONSIDERED OUTRAGEOUS, INTOLERABLE AND AN ABUSE OF POWER FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

All it takes is ONE EPISODE of a terrorist hiding bomb materials in his/her rectum or her vagina and you will find the authorities think themselves justified to "check everyone" there, rather than start profiling for the KNOWN threats to our safety.

This is NOT an outrageous question. It should be discussed. Where DO we draw the line and say, this far, NO FURTHER, start profiling instead.

I must say they ALREADY do vaginal and rectal exams on persons they suspect of carrying drugs, so it would not be something new, or which they are loathe to do.

It is this INCREMENTALISM we must beware of, the bleeding away of rights slowly. It is like a guy mowing YOUR lawn one strip over per month or even year, as he mows his yard. Every year he starts using a little more of your yard as his own. Pretty soon you notice a fence going up and your lot is a LOT smaller than you remember it to be.

Last edited by AINITFUNNY; Jan 1, 2010 at 4:33 am
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I wonder if they'll come up with airport MRI (which I think will show up anything hidden in body cavities). Implementation would be interesting and very awkward.

Would I consider it reasonable? NO. Would I be annoyed? YES, very annoyed with terrorists and also with the government if they made it a universal requirement because it would be potentially putting people at risk (what would the risk of having a full-body MRI five times a week for aircrew, for instance? The answer is, no-one knows!).
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
I am completely convinced that anyone who favors widespread wbi adoption has not thought through the fact that wbi alarms can only be cleared through use of an actual strip search.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I wonder if they'll come up with airport MRI
Would be interesting when someone goes through one with metal on their person - or as part of a medical implant.

Then again it could be a new bombing technique
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Just a question for those of you who don't mind the TSA viewing nude images of you on WBI scanners. Where DO you draw the line (if anywhere)?

Let's forget the "inconvenience factor" here. Suppose that a colonoscopy could be performed in just a couple of minutes. Would you be OK with the TSA making you drop your pants and performing a colonoscopy on you? Would you be OK if you had to take off all your clothes in a private room and have nude photos taken of you? Let's suppose the TSA guaranteed that the photos wouldn't be saved and only an anonymous person in another room viewed the photos. Would you be OK with it?

To the women who say you don't mind the WBI scans -- would you be OK with mandatory vaginal exams? Suppose you could keep your face and other body parts covered while a TSO performed the exam -- then would it be OK? If you could choose the gender of the TSO performing the exam, would it be OK?

To those of you with children -- would you be OK if the TSA made your kids take off all their clothes and be photographed nude? Would you be OK with rectal exams performed on your kids? How would you explain to your kids the need for these procedures?

Some of you might argue that the above scenarios are just not realistic or likely and therefore aren't worth responding to. So let's consider a more realistic scenario. It is entirely possible (plausible, really) that WBI technology will advance to the point that the images become quite lifelike, almost like an actual nude photograph (as opposed to the somewhat grainy, blue images they produce now). If you say the current WBI technology is OK, then where do you draw the line when the technology advances to the point that it is producing actual nude photographs? Are you really OK with having your nude picture taken by government personnel every time you fly? Like it or not, this whole WBI thing has "slippery slope" written all over it, and if you accept the government's ability to take these images now, it becomes that much more likely that they will be able to commit even greater violations of privacy in the future.
1. Yes, I would draw the line somewhere.
2. No, to the colonoscopy in minutes, not because it is a colonoscopy, but because several minutes is too long, it would hurt and it wouldn't be anonymous. Time and convenience is way more important to me than these procedures at issue. If you could do the colonoscopy in the same time it takes to walk through a scanner it wouldn't hurt and it would be anonymous (impossible I know, but we are dealing in what ifs), then I'd have no problem with it. That is, I'd have to drop my pants, have the procedure performed, clean up, pull up my pants, it wouldn't hurt, anonymously all in 3 seconds. If that could happen, I'd have no problem with it.
3. TSA takes pictures but they would only be viewed anonymous by somone in another room? But what about the TSA taking the pictures? He's right there so it wouldn't be anonymous right? But if the TSA taking the pictures could do it anonymously, then no problem. Provided this could all be done quickly -- in a few seconds.
4. I'll pass on the female questions.
5. The children's pictures -- as well as the adults -- would have to be anonymous -- and no more than 3 seconds.
6. Rectal exams of kids. You got me on this one. Maybe we'd have to take the train instead. But remember inconvenience is the big thing for me. In this fantasy situation you've created, if the rectal exam was 3 seconds long, I would explain the procedures the same way I'd explain other things children have to endure like, say, a vaccination.
7. Actual nude potographs taken by advanced WBI technology. No problem provided they are anonymous and only take the 3 seconds is takes to walk through the machine.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
[QUOTE=Unimatrix One;13090430]Just a question for those of you who don't mind the TSA viewing nude images of you on WBI scanners. Where DO you draw the line (if anywhere)?

I draw it right about where it is now. I'll do the WBI, but no more. That's the line.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:17 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by homeboy4
1. Yes, I would draw the line somewhere.
2. No, to the colonoscopy in minutes, not because it is a colonoscopy, but because several minutes is too long, it would hurt and it wouldn't be anonymous. Time and convenience is way more important to me than these procedures at issue. If you could do the colonoscopy in the same time it takes to walk through a scanner it wouldn't hurt and it would be anonymous (impossible I know, but we are dealing in what ifs), then I'd have no problem with it. That is, I'd have to drop my pants, have the procedure performed, clean up, pull up my pants, it wouldn't hurt, anonymously all in 3 seconds. If that could happen, I'd have no problem with it.
3. TSA takes pictures but they would only be viewed anonymous by somone in another room? But what about the TSA taking the pictures? He's right there so it wouldn't be anonymous right? But if the TSA taking the pictures could do it anonymously, then no problem. Provided this could all be done quickly -- in a few seconds.
4. I'll pass on the female questions.
5. The children's pictures -- as well as the adults -- would have to be anonymous -- and no more than 3 seconds.
6. Rectal exams of kids. You got me on this one. Maybe we'd have to take the train instead. But remember inconvenience is the big thing for me. In this fantasy situation you've created, if the rectal exam was 3 seconds long, I would explain the procedures the same way I'd explain other things children have to endure like, say, a vaccination.
7. Actual nude potographs taken by advanced WBI technology. No problem provided they are anonymous and only take the 3 seconds is takes to walk through the machine.
To put up with any of that for a one in ten million chance of a terrorist incident is a stretch for me. I will take the chances on lightning too.

From Nate Silver's article:
There were a total of 674 passengers, not counting crew or the terrorists themselves, on the flights on which these incidents occurred. By contrast, there have been 7,015,630,000 passenger enplanements over the past decade. Therefore, the odds of being on given departure which is the subject of a terrorist incident have been 1 in 10,408,947 over the past decade. By contrast, the odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are about 1 in 500,000. This means that you could board 20 flights per year and still be less likely to be the subject of an attempted terrorist attack than to be struck by lightning.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Oxb
From Nate Silver's article:
There were a total of 674 passengers, not counting crew or the terrorists themselves, on the flights on which these incidents occurred. By contrast, there have been 7,015,630,000 passenger enplanements over the past decade. Therefore, the odds of being on given departure which is the subject of a terrorist incident have been 1 in 10,408,947 over the past decade.
I'm not sure I see the meaningfulness of this statistic. It assumes that terrorists do not modify their behaviors based on past results. But suppose an attempt teaches the terrorist community, "Aha! here is a method for getting explosives onto aircraft that works." You can expect to see the statistic change fairly significantly rather quickly if the security system does not react by changing its methods in order to deal with the new technique.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by homeboy4
then I'd have no problem with it. That is, I'd have to drop my pants, have the procedure performed, clean up, pull up my pants, it wouldn't hurt, anonymously all in 3 seconds. If that could happen, I'd have no problem with it.
Are you even reading the words you are typing?You would gladly drop your pants in the airport and let a TSO insert an object in your a$$, dude what the fook are you smoking?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta, United
No way airport scanning be MRI based - too costly and the chance of quenching a magnetic is too great. All it would take is one smarty cart or less.

While currently the WBI take a 2D image, it will not be long before we see production 3D WBI. Prototypes are out there.

I guess like some others I have already drawn a line as the current system is a joke. After 21 years cargo is still not 100% inspected, I have no problems with profiling, crap like no you can not take a steel cable for securing your laptop on board but you can bring a power cord with you. Go figure. So TSA needs to first rethink things before going forward. But I doubt that will happen.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I have no problems with profiling
As long as you aren't the one profiled as a terrorist because you are brown / Muslim / having a steel cable for securing your laptop.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:31 pm

I'm fine with whatever they dream up. I figure the first time they see me "nude" one TSA agent will suffer a cardiac arrest, 3 will check in to mental health facilities, and the remaining TSA personnel at that station will all summarily quit and join a commune (probably somewhere in Northern California.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.