Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by williamsg4713
Originally Posted by barfeld2

As the very least, no one has the right to ask that other people risk their lives or the sake of his own modesty.

Ummm (and this depends on full body scans or strip searches or proctoscope exams or whatever being in fact effective, but we have to presume that in order to address the principle you seem to be stating)...I don't think that liberal democracy, with its principle of the liberties of the individual being foremost, takes that principle to mean that one person may exercise his liberties in a mannger that endangers another.

Maybe I don't have an absolute right to demand that you give up your modesty to increase my safety; but neither, I think, do you have an absolute right to demand that I give up my safety to preserve your modesty. And since we're all flying on the same aircraft, we have to strike a community- based, not an individually-based, tradeoff between the two values.
You are not giving up any safety when other passengers are refusing the strip search machines. All the related talk about a trade-off with "modesty" or "privacy" is a joke or snake oil-salesman talk. The strip search machines do not detect explosives, and no amount of paranoid foolishness that wants people to believe the strip search machines are an effective solution to detect explosives concealed under the clothes of a person is going to change that fact.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
I am curious.

How long have you lived in a residence with transparent walls, doors, and roof?
Should I point out there is a difference between an apple and an orange?

An anonymous display on a computer screen and living in a residence with transparent walls, doors and roof are identical. Yeah. Right. Got it.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
Many of us are not concerned with exposure of the genitals, but rather (or in addition) with the unknown risk of long-term, repeated exposure to radiation, known to be carcinogenic, or radio waves, of uncertain health risk. This is particularly of concern regarding children, pregnant women, and those who have undergone cancer therapy, as they may be more susceptible.

And we are asked to undergo this increased risk for a procedure which does not detect explosives, which is, after all, the main concern. If there is an alarm, it will still need to be resolved by other means, as WBI is not the definitive answer, despite what TSA and other "authorities" say.
I am with you here. If the risk is as you describe the machines need to be taken out of service. They might also need to be taken out of service for a whole litany of reasons that have already been listed here -- that is except for one. The fact that genitals are displayed. That's in the same category as taking the machines out of service becase they are painted gray. But carcinogenic, too expensive, don't work, better ways to accomplish the same thing, etc -- these are all reasons that make sense to me. Let me be clear. I understand that the nudity issue if of concern of others and I'm not saying you are crazy to feel that way. Just that -- to me -- it seems like an outsized concern.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
My take on that: let those who mind new scanners keep going through the regular "take you belts-shoes-coat-wristwatch-off" thing with a pat down after the detector); but please-please let me do this nude-o-scope (or whatever you chosse to call it) and avoid this hassle. I've been through these machines in Moscow and it makes the whole security thing a breeze.
I am more than happy to leave those who find these new scanners humiliating to the airport queues, as long as they leave me my liberty to shortcut security lines by going through this immoral and uncivilised process.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by luitje
My take on that: let those who mind new scanners keep going through the regular "take you belts-shoes-coat-wristwatch-off" thing with a pat down after the detector); but please-please let me do this nude-o-scope (or whatever you chosse to call it) and avoid this hassle. I've been through these machines in Moscow and it makes the whole security thing a breeze.
I am more than happy to leave those who find these new scanners humiliating to the airport queues, as long as they leave me my liberty to shortcut security lines by going through this immoral and uncivilised process.
Unfortunately you, too, are going to have to remove your belt, shoes, coat and wristwatch before you go through the scanner.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:24 am
Suspended

Who is to say you won't have "take you belts-shoes-coat-wristwatch-off" before or after being subjected to the strip search machine?

Who is to say the strip-search machine and follow-ups to flags raised by the strip-search machine searches won't slow the lines down compared to the current practice of the metal detector process with or without a pat-down?

Sooner or later, this will be like things went with Delta Airlines' "best of both" combination of the Delta SkyMiles with Northwest WorldPerks "loyalty" programs: the worst of both for the most.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Who is to say you won't have "take you belts-shoes-coat-wristwatch-off" before or after being subjected to the strip search machine?
No one told me that - this is my experience from going through these machines in Russia; and I wonder who told you one would still be required to take shoes off if/when new scanners have been installed?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by homeboy4
An anonymous display on a computer screen and living in a residence with transparent walls, doors and roof are identical. Yeah. Right. Got it.
Ah, so you do have a desire for modesty on your terms, but won't allow the same for others. Got it.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:40 am
Suspended

No one told me that - this is my experience from going through these machines in Russia; and I wonder who told you one would still be required to take shoes off if/when new scanners have been installed?
Ask anyone whose been through one here in the states - everything comes off and your personal items are out of your sight while you are in the scanner. Perfect opportunity for theft.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by doober
Ask anyone whose been through one here in the states - everything comes off and your personal items are out of your sight while you are in the scanner. Perfect opportunity for theft.
That makes it even worse. Got to admit I never thought about that.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by doober
Indeed.

.... and if things "work" like they did at EWR within the past 24 hours, they won't even be able to find the "violator" using camera footage after a "violation" has taken place.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
That makes it even worse. Got to admit I never thought about that.
At least you had never thought about that before. The TSA has "thought" about it repeatedly and still doesn't care enough to do everything it can to prevent it.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I will NEVER use one of them.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Ah, so you do have a desire for modesty on your terms, but won't allow the same for others. Got it.
Let me turn that question around to you: Ah, so you do have a desire for modesty on your terms, but won't allow the same for others. We have religious freedom. But what if it's part of someone's religion to sacrifice dogs and cats on Sunday? Religious freedom is not absolute. In the same way, the right to modesty is not absolute. If you are mistaken for a big time drug dealer the cops might do a strip search on you, you protestations of modesty be damned. The challenge in a free society such as ours is to balance rights when they come into conflict. How would YOU handle it if a man going through security was too modest to take off his hat or a woman was too modest to remove her hijab?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:35 am

They ARE SLICK (and slimy). At SEA-TAC I was selected for a secondary pat down and while I was getting that, and unable to watch my stuff TSA went INTO MY WALLET and took PART of the cash ($200) leaving me to (immediately after the pat down) glance in the wallet, see cash and assume it was all there. After I got to the gate, I sat down and checked that I indeed had everything I came with and discovered the theft. I had just counted it for the trip before leaving the house and there was NO opportunity for it to have been taken anywhere else.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE REQUIRED TO SURRENDER YOUR MONEY AND CREDIT CARDS TO THESE unaccountable PEOPLE'S "CONTROL AND CARE", EVEN FOR A MINUTE. There is no valid excuse for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.