Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

TAM wil be joining one of the Alliances in 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAM wil be joining one of the Alliances in 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
if they were really interested in OW would they have terminated their relationship with AA ? seems a pretty drastic move to do as a bluff
I didn't know they'd shown American the door. Thanks for the heads up! Still, as [B]rrjj[B] rightly points out, JFK & MIA are the first 2 ports of call where a South American carrier should look. American are incredibly strong at both, & have a less convenient but even stronger position in Dallas. No one else has any strength in MIA, but that could just be O&D anyway. In New York however, Skyteam are strong, but Delta would be the airline of interest thanks to JFK. Would TAM consider EWR over JFK, I don't know. Houston & Atlanta both would give a nice hub system as well...

What about Star? United don't seem interest in South America, nor do they have any useful hubs (to TAM) except perhaps IAD. US Airways don't fair much better, but have been expanding in the Carribean & the north of South America...

This is getting worse & worse...
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: FB
according to http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/ TAM and LANPeru have launched an intensive codeshare agreement on Jan 3rd. So Oneworld still isn't out of the game I guess.

Seeing their recent expansion in codeshare agreements with StarAlliance members and the old ties with Skyteam, I think, they will pick the alliance that values them most but no decision is made yet.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Interesting thread given I had written off the chances of TAM linking up with AA after ending the partnership in Nov. I would like TAM to join OW as despite their heavy presence in South America most of Brasil isn't accessible using AA awards. I could handle it going to *A as I have miles with BMI but please not Skyteam! Anyway isn't TAM a little too good quality wise to join Skyteam?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
This has to be a battle between OneWorld & Star. Skyteam is really only strong in North America & Europe which isn't a massively growing market. Indeed, other airlines are turning down Sky when selecting alliances fairly quickly, Ethiopian for example.

OneWorld are strong in South America, & this will only make them stronger. Star would give them strong partners abroad, but no one local. Star really excel in Asia.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
i think TAM is playing the same game as EK & 9W. i don't expect anything soon.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA Fan
i think TAM is playing the same game as EK & 9W. i don't expect anything soon.
Well, Barioni (the new TAM CEO) stated in a newspaper interview that TAM would join on of the alliances in 2008, so that is why we are all speculating as crazy currently.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:40 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by flyboy777
This has to be a battle between OneWorld & Star. Skyteam is really only strong in North America & Europe which isn't a massively growing market. Indeed, other airlines are turning down Sky when selecting alliances fairly quickly, Ethiopian for example.
I think Ethiopian ruled out Skyteam because of the proximity of NBO as Kenya Airways' hub. They wouldn't add much value to Skyteam anyway because of this.

TAM is different.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by AAEXP
Well, Barioni (the new TAM CEO) stated in a newspaper interview that TAM would join on of the alliances in 2008, so that is why we are all speculating as crazy currently.
Well then I guess, they are trying to make the alliances compete for them and get a good deal, none of the alliances have a member in Brazil which is the powerhouse of South America and the one that was got kicked out, so they know that the alliances are desperate, except maybe for 1W.

But still I just have a gut feeling that that want to slug it out alone.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: BA silver
Right...
BA plan to fly non-stops to GIG & EZE instead of the current minihub system in GRU. Good move...
What is the basis for this statement? I wish someone would fly nonstop to LON-EZE but not heard any plans.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:02 pm

Right...
BA plan to fly non-stops to GIG & EZE instead of the current minihub system in GRU. Good move...
What is the basis for this statement? I wish someone would fly nonstop to LON-EZE but not heard any plans.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by bkkth
Let me put it this way, I am going way out of my way Sunday night to fly TAM from JFK to EZE. It is simply great.
I had a rather more mixed experience with TAM last year, flying LHR-GRU-GIG-EZE-GRU-LHR, in C class.

On board service was very good - comfortable seats even on the short haul legs, near-flat seats on the long haul, decent AVOD system, and the best food I've ever had on an airline.

However, almost all flights were seriously delayed and the ground service was awful:
- flight LHR-GIG (advertised as direct with one stop) turned out to require a change at GRU; we arrived there 2 hours late and there was no connection, so we had to get a bus across the city to another airport - all with no help from TAM staff;
- flight GIG-EZE was 3 hours late but there was no information provided at all - we only knew because the plane didn't turn up.
- flight EZE-GRU was hours late; the only reason we didn't miss the connection in GRU was because we turned up at EZE 3 hours early and hence were able to get on the previous flight, which was also running several hours late.
- at many of the airports no separate C class check in
- no C class lounge for international flights at GIG

They may have sorted out their operational problems now, but I would be reluctant to use them unless I was sure of this!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by alexss
I had a rather more mixed experience with TAM last year, flying LHR-GRU-GIG-EZE-GRU-LHR, in C class.

On board service was very good - comfortable seats even on the short haul legs, near-flat seats on the long haul, decent AVOD system, and the best food I've ever had on an airline.

However, almost all flights were seriously delayed and the ground service was awful:
- flight LHR-GIG (advertised as direct with one stop) turned out to require a change at GRU; we arrived there 2 hours late and there was no connection, so we had to get a bus across the city to another airport - all with no help from TAM staff;
- flight GIG-EZE was 3 hours late but there was no information provided at all - we only knew because the plane didn't turn up.
- flight EZE-GRU was hours late; the only reason we didn't miss the connection in GRU was because we turned up at EZE 3 hours early and hence were able to get on the previous flight, which was also running several hours late.
- at many of the airports no separate C class check in
- no C class lounge for international flights at GIG

They may have sorted out their operational problems now, but I would be reluctant to use them unless I was sure of this!
Here we go again......

As you may know from other threads on FT, the whole Brazilian civil aviation system (or lack of same) melted down in 2006/2007. TAM was, both due to internal and external factors, hard hit on all levels. There might be explanations, but not really any good excuses for what happened.

The whole system, including TAM's ground operations, is slowly back to normal, so I think you have good chances of a more pleasant experience nowadays.

TAM only has C class check-in in airports that have international routes, including GRU, CNF and GIG, where this product is offered. There is no C class on purely domestic routes.

There is a C class lounge at GIG in terminal 2. It opened in 2007.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by alexss
and the best food I've ever had on an airline.
Can you go into more detail, please, alexss?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by SASfan
Can you go into more detail, please, alexss?
can't remember much detail, sorry. I remember getting a 4 course meal on the long haul which I thought was much better than, say, C class food on BA. I thought the quality and quantity was particularly good on the short flights within Latin America - compared to C class flights within Europe, and some others within LatAm, where you often only get a snack or a salad.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

OneWorld are strong in South America, & this will only make them stronger. Star would give them strong partners abroad, but no one local. Star really excel in Asia.
Don't underestimate COPA's power in Latin America and it is now a part of SkyTeam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.