Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

TAM wil be joining one of the Alliances in 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAM wil be joining one of the Alliances in 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by flyboy777
Wow. Thanks for the heads up^ Any delivery dates for A350s? I thought they were sold out or n/a before 2013
Sorry for the wrong info. The 350s will start being delivered in 2013. TAM got some 350-800 and some 350-900 models
Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hardiwv
Wow! These look nicer -- and very different -- from the pics on TAM's own website (i.e., here). Which is it?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by as219
Wow! These look nicer -- and very different -- from the pics on TAM's own website (i.e., here). Which is it?
Nothing like answering my own question!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvqYHs4xco
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by nomad1974
I just came back from 2 weeks in Brazil during which time I flew a total of 4 segments with TAM (IGU-GRU, GRU-GIG, GIG-SSA, SSA-GRU). I must say I was underwhelmed by TAM. My main issues where:

- Safety: Staff simply did not seem to care that much. For example, luggage was systematically left on the floor in emergency exit rows and bulkeads and seatbacks were reclined during takeoff and landing, plus I got the distinct impression that on all four flights we landed at unusually high speeds (given the accident in CGH last year I was a bit unnerved by this).

- Comfort: seat pitch was incredibly tight and all flights being packed did not help. Plus one more than one flights, there were used paper napkins in the seatpocket obviously left over from a previous flight.

- Reliability: ALL flights were delayed (I am referring to delays of 30 mins or more) and practically no info was given and no apologies offered. In particular, the last flight was a real chaos. Originally scheduled to depart at 16:15, a boarding call was made around 15:30 or so. Upon reaching the gate, the monitor indicated a departure of 17:15 - when asked, we were told "the flight is delayed for one hour". In the end the flight left the gate at 18:00 - no explanation and/or apologies whatsoever.

- Service: even though my companion and I were booked on the same exact itinerary, reservation, PNR, total for both paid by same credit card etc etc, still, TAM was not able to seat us together on one flight (we both got a middle seat each, across the aisle). Yes, they do have sandwiches onboard but these are no culinary feat. Oh and if they are serious about having international service, they could at least have some signs in English (given many members of their ground staff does not speak it). In SSA, everything is in Portuguese.
Safety: This disregard for luggage etc is normal in Brazil. That doesn't make it right, but it does make it commonplace.

Comfort pitch: Brazilian airlines are among the worst in the world. A recent article in Veja magazine (sort of the Brazilian Time or Newsweek) recently highlighted the lack of space between seats relative to airlines in other parts of the world.

Service: This is a Brazilian peculiarity. Brazilian service in almost all aspects of life stinks. Check-in staff make often no effort whatsoever to accommodate those travelling together. Curiously, raising a fuss generally fixes the problem. I have actually been told there were no adjoining seats at checkin, only to board a half empty flight. Figuring out how to seat people together would constitute work on the part of the check-in personnel, which is something they are loathe to do.

Reliability: Most flights are delayed in Brazil, most of the time. Flights are not considered officially late here until they are more than an hour late. Brazil has officially the second worst ontime peformance of any country in the world. I live here and can't remember the last time I took an ontime flight, although things have improved somewhat inrecent months. Four or five hours late is not unusual. It is not just TAM.

Everything in Portuguese: I disagree here. I live in SSA (Salvador) and use the airport constantly. There is signage in English and I have never had any trouble finding staff of any airline who speak at least passable English. Although I no longer need to speak English, I don't think it is a major issue. On the other hand, Salvador is not a major international airport, so I wouldn't expect everyone to speak English. Try finding people who speak Portuguese in an American airport . What I find more odd is that there is never any Spanish signage in Brazilian airports. While Portuguese speakers have little difficulty with Spanish, it doesn't work the other way around.

But I digress. The fact is, the Brazil airport and airline system is terrible. TAM is among the better Brazilian players, but it is a leader in a field of largely useless competition. Things are so bad here that "air chaos" has been a standing headline in newspapers and web sites for years now.

In summary, don't expect much from any Brazilian airline.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:24 am

Deleted duplicate post

Last edited by toolio; Feb 15, 2008 at 11:54 am Reason: Deleted duplicate post
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:42 am

Deleted duplicate post

Last edited by toolio; Feb 15, 2008 at 11:53 am Reason: Deleted duplicate post
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:50 am

Deleted duplicate post

Last edited by toolio; Feb 15, 2008 at 11:53 am Reason: Deleted duplicate post
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:36 pm

Another flag in the Star Alliance camp

TAM e a Lufthansa integram seus programas de passageiros freqentesA TAM e a Lufthansa iniciaram parceria que permite aos clientes acumular e resgatar pontos do Programa Fidelidade TAM e milhas do Miles & More, em vos operados por ambas as companhias. A integrao dos programas de passageiros freqentes faz parte do acordo firmado entre as duas companhias areas no ano passado, com o objetivo de ampliar os servios oferecidos aos clientes. As companhias tambm planejam iniciar o compartilhamento de vos (codeshare) em rotas nacionais e internacionais, j no primeiro semestre deste ano.

Nesta primeira fase da parceria entre as duas empresas, os passageiros da TAM podem utilizar os pontos acumulados no Programa Fidelidade para viajar em qualquer vo domstico e internacional operado pela Lufthansa. Da mesma forma, os participantes do programa Miles & More da Lufthansa podem converter suas milhas em pontos para serem utilizados em todos os vos domsticos e internacionais da TAM.

Source: http://www.primus.com.br/primus/zpt_...d_noticia=1143
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:57 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
This article mentions that Star Alliance and TAM are currently talking about TAM joining the alliance.
But maybe they are also talking to OW and ST.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:02 am
CNF

Programs: JJ, LH, AF, RG, IB
i'm trying to spend some fidelidade miles on LH in a GRU FRA flight, but they don't give the cponfirmations instantely, it takes one week...

Let's see how this new alliance works
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Another flag in the Star Alliance camp
It would appear so. As a OW flyer I would prefer to see TAM in it there but I could live with it in *A if I could earn/spend on it using my BMI a/c and we got the new Varig in OW.

FWIW this info was reported in a lengthier O Globo article a couple of days ago. http://oglobo.globo.com/economia/mat...-425648996.asp

SO PAULO - A TAM fechou um acordo com a alem Lufthansa para integrar seus programas de milhagem, conforme anunciou nesta quinta-feira. Com isso, passageiros viajando em vos nacionais e internacionais de ambas empresas podero pontuar no programa de sua preferncia.

A integrao faz parte de um acordo, firmado no ano passado, para ampliar os servios aos passageiros nas duas companhias. O prximo passo ser colocar em prtica o sistema de compartilhamento de vos (code share) nas rotas nacionais e internacionais. Segundo a TAM, isso deve ocorrer ainda no primeiro semestre de 2008.

A integrao do....
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:11 am
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
As there are some issues raised about safety earlier in this thread, I want to contribute my experience with a TAM Mercosur (PZ, affiliate to JJ) flight earlier this week. Flight was EZE-AGT-ASU.

First of all, it seems a little stupid to me to make PZ 705 stop in Ciudad del Este, something they reintroduced last Saturday. Exactly zero passengers left the Bus in AGT! Some 10 joined.

So then we left AGT with a full Airbus 320 for the 25-minute ride to Asuncion to find out that we could not land due to a thunderstorm over the Paraguayan capital and its infamous Silvio Petirossi airport. After some 20 min of circling around, the pilot tried an approach. Most passengers know that it is dangerous, as the airport has no radar. The pilot went below the clouds (maybe some 500 or so m altitude, difficult to estimate), went for a while, accelerated, went on again, and finally got up again. Looked as if he was looking for the airport and couldn't find it!?!? Some ten minutes later he approached from the other, the Chaco side - a rather unusual approach, following the river for a while and then going on to the airport, all flying at very low altitude for a while.

We landed safely in the end, but it all had the appearance to me that TAM was running an unnecessary risk. The flight should have never left AGT in the first place, as the meteorological conditions should have been foreseeable 20 min up front. And it should have never ever intended an approach under this conditions in the absence of a radar.

While being on this rant, I also like to mention that on two recent flights we had left the gate when some 10 passengers or so are still standing in the aisle arranging their luggage. That seems to be the importance of security procedures for TAM...
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Originally Posted by oiRRio
Interesting thread given I had written off the chances of TAM linking up with AA after ending the partnership in Nov. I would like TAM to join OW as despite their heavy presence in South America most of Brasil isn't accessible using AA awards. I could handle it going to *A as I have miles with BMI but please not Skyteam! Anyway isn't TAM a little too good quality wise to join Skyteam?
Yeah they would look so nice next to those top notch airlines in * Us airways and soon Air India and Egypt air.I dont know why people are always making this comment about Skyteam but they have the best US carrier(CO), one of the best european carriers(AF, by the way i dont think there is much differnce between AF BA LH etc anyway) and one of the best asian carriers(KE) but you proberly never took any of these airlines to make a judgement.

Originally Posted by flyboy777
This has to be a battle between OneWorld & Star. Skyteam is really only strong in North America & Europe which isn't a massively growing market. Indeed, other airlines are turning down Sky when selecting alliances fairly quickly, Ethiopian for example.

OneWorld are strong in South America, & this will only make them stronger. Star would give them strong partners abroad, but no one local. Star really excel in Asia.
Ethopian never turned down Sky i think it was the other way around because Kenya airways(which KL partly owns) just joined Sky,there is no need for ET.
Regarding Asia i think that Sky i going to grow there very quickly the coming years, CZ just joined, CI will join this year, MH will proberly join after they finished their restructing program next year and there are strong rumors that MU might be joining.I think that last one would be a big blow to OW they would be left with Hainin airlines as their mainland china partner.

Originally Posted by oiRRio
It would appear so. As a OW flyer I would prefer to see TAM in it there but I could live with it in *A if I could earn/spend on it using my BMI a/c and we got the new Varig in OW.

FWIW this info was reported in a lengthier O Globo article a couple of days ago. http://oglobo.globo.com/economia/mat...-425648996.asp
Varig/GOL is going Skyteam, both DL and AF recently signed partnership with GOL.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by sh1982
Varig/GOL is going Skyteam, both DL and AF recently signed partnership with GOL.
I don't think you mean "partnership" in the sense of an alliance. I'm guessing you are referring to recent interline agreements. Is that right?

Maybe interlining implies there is more to come, but maybe not. For example, oneworld partner Iberia just announced interlining with Varig. Last year, oneworld partner LAN announced interlining with TAM. Varig has interlining with *A partner TAP.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080226/sptu002.html?.v=56
Old Mar 24, 2008, 2:45 pm
CNF

Programs: JJ, LH, AF, RG, IB
http://www.aerobusiness.com.br/2003/...2&not_ID=23473

in portuguese
"Segundo Barioni at julho a companhia dever definir o seu ingresso num dos poderosos grupos internacionais de empresas areas."

so in july we have the annoucement ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.